Help › Forums

Re: Flop Shot Tutorial by Longwedge

Mon, Jan 11 2021 5:25 PM (47 replies)
  • TesLa33
    109 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 9:34 PM

MBaggese:
    Wow, as much as I hate the Yankees, I'd never say something like that

I'm a red sox fan and Jimberley is getting on my nervous system.

Have you been to New York, New York? 

I'm no pushover but 80 yr old ladies will totally run you over in New York. It's not a friendly city.

At least in Boston everyone knows to dodge the mad hags.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 7 2012 4:57 AM

TesLa33:

One day this Jim guy will either get a life or die. Either way we will finally be free of his constant tyranny.

God help us from those people in New York. No class, they have.

Interesting how you turn a conversation about shots into an attack. 66 ranked rounds and a flop shot crutch and you say I talk too much? And now I have no life and should die?

Was nice trying to get through that thick head of yours. You'll learn. Then again, maybe you won't. Try a few thousand more rounds from your baby tees and greens and we'll see. I won't hold my breath, though. 80% sand saves? Try posting all your scores, not just the ones where you protect that useless stat.

Now where is that life of mine? I know I left it laying around here some place.

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Wed, Mar 7 2012 7:40 AM

MBaggese:

RofferMan019:
    You americans are just weird.

Yes, yes we are;)

Wouldn't want it any other way

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Wed, Mar 7 2012 8:10 AM

TesLa33:

One day this Jim guy will either get a life or die. Either way we will finally be free of his constant tyranny.

God help us from those people in New York. No class, they have.

No need for all that Tesla. Breathe in, breathe out...relax a bit man.  I'm a Rangers fan and my disdain for the Yanks knows no bounds, however, Jim is a pretty good guy and just trying to bring other shots to light.

That said

The flop is also my go to inside 28 yards, while chips are mere situational. For instance, if I'm sitting on the fringe 5 yards out...I'll try to roll in a chip rather than hit a flop. Because of the accuracy I've been able to develop with the flop, I haven't found a need for the pitch. Like you, I've gotten very good at draining flop shots...it just took me like 300 rounds (which was 600 rounds ago) to figure it out, congrats in doing it in under 70.

I don't hit the punch or full swing inside 30 yards because, personally, I don't like hitting a shot below 60% power...unless it's a putt. Also, I don't hit flop shots outside 30 yards, I leave that to my punch and full swing.

So take it easy, because when names start getting called and attacks get personal, the message gets lost.

Love is all around you. Yeah
    Love is knockin' outside *YOUR* door.
    Waitin' for you is this love made just for two
    Keep an open heart and you'll find love again, I know. - Tesla

• godelescher
    636 Posts
    Wed, Mar 7 2012 8:39 AM

Longwedge:

That said

The flop is also my go to inside 28 yards

Thanks for getting the thread back on track. It's a good topic and one that doesn't deserve to be so easily derailed.

Longwedge:
    I don't hit the punch or full swing inside 30 yards because, personally, I don't like hitting a shot below 60% power

Agreed, but like I showed with examples in my previous post, sometimes there are exceptions. However rare they may be, it's still good to know how to hit them when the situation arises.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 7 2012 10:16 AM

godelescher:
    Agreed, but like I showed with examples in my previous post, sometimes there are exceptions. However rare they may be, it's still good to know how to hit them when the situation arises

There's a shot on the SA front 9 CTTH that illustrates this perfectly. It's 29 yards out in the fairway. I believe Longwedge flopped a HIO there last week. It is a perfect flop with the CG80w when the wind blows in your favor. When the wind is in your face, though, the flop doesn't quite make the rise in front of the pin and it rolls back. That's where that punch with the same club  comes in because it isn't as affected by the wind. Same hole, 2 different shots to get there. Having both of them at your disposal makes you that much more adept.

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Wed, Mar 7 2012 12:56 PM

godelescher:

Agreed, but like I showed with examples in my previous post, sometimes there are exceptions. However rare they may be, it's still good to know how to hit them when the situation arises.

I have to say, I learned a little something watching that.  I went into practice mode and worked it out a bit.  It's something I do when I get a little bored, grab one of the cheaper extra balls in my bag (like a Dove ball or something) and go shoot like 90 strokes on 9 holes in practice mode.

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2021 5:25 PM

LOL...rereading this as my Flop Shot Tutorial from 2012 hits 11,000 views on YouTube

RSS