Forums

Help › Forums

Re: UK Golfing Break Suggestions

rated by 0 users
Tue, Feb 21 2012 1:40 PM (9 replies)
  • adeypa
    1,151 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 1:03 PM

Hello fellow golfers. Myself and several of my cc mates are planning for a 2 or 3 day golfing break in the UK. We've been looking at various locations, however with so many possibilities we were wondering if any of you guys could help us out with any suggestions. Nothing too pricey tho. 

Thanks in advance, Ade

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 1:18 PM

Oh, go for it!  Play St. Andrews.  You only live once.  Besides, you and your cc mates can compare notes on the real thing with your experiences on St. Andrews on this site.  Take along a flask of Laphroig.

• stevenharkin
    1,921 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2012 4:48 AM

why not hop on the ferry and cross the channel and play golf golf in Ireland....north west has an abundance of golf courses, mainly links.

my home course Ballyliffin has recently been re-designed by nick faldo and has two championship courses to choose from..would make for a great golfing holiday, just don't let the guinness get in the way :)

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2012 9:59 AM

The UK is a big island - do you have any broad idea where to go, and when?

You'll usually find he lower prices in Scotland, take Aberfoyle 30 mls north of Glasgow as an example for 15 / 20 quid.

To confuse you more, look at this site:

www.uk-golfguide.com

They show all the UK golf courses with comments and maps and links to the club homepages.

And look at the past threads on golf in the UK - plenty of hints!

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2012 12:11 PM

my part of the world (north cumbria) has some hidden gems. Carlisle GC is a cracking parkland course the course, the greens and the clubhouse are top notch. about 8 miles further east is Brampton GC a test for any golfer and the only flat lie on the course is the clubhouse floor. its a hilly but enjoyabke course and on a clear day the views alone are worth the green fees. and the real hidden gem is Silloth GC ( hosting this years english amateur championship) 20 miles west of Carlisle. its a true links course in every sense of the word and well worth playing.

• TrikiRik
    103 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2012 3:27 PM

adeypa:
    We've been looking at various locations, however with so many possibilities we were wondering if any of you guys could help us out with any suggestions. Nothing too pricey tho

Not likely to be easily fit into your travel plans, but I enjoyed Shannon Golf course years ago, round cost 30 Irish pounds then, very similar style course to the ones I play at home, except for #17 water all the way down right side. 

Aw nuts, just realized this is an an older post, hope the trip went well.  I had good rounds there when we were pressed for time. For a Yank a bad day in Eire beats a good day in most anywhere.

• pavenham
    1 Posts
    Tue, Feb 14 2012 12:46 PM

There are some many really good courses in the UK it is difficult to where to start. if you want something challenging with some great views try a links course on the coast in England. But if your looking for the ultimate challenge Scotland has to be the place. A friend of mine played with 2 American guys at Carnoustie and they claimed it had been the most challenging thing, ...... mentally and phisically they had ever encountered.  ....... Have fun. 

• Hewsey
    1,957 Posts
    Tue, Feb 14 2012 9:48 PM

Doublemochaman is 100% right. Went to St. Andrews this past July, truly amazing. Having played it on this site made it even cooler. We did not have a lot time, but were told that there are 3-4 courses close by that are nicer. I think St. Andrews is the oldest links golf course out there, so that is worth the trip. Oh & don't forget to bring back some fescue I did.  LOL

Have fun where ever you decide to go. 

• HANDBOOK
    173 Posts
    Mon, Feb 20 2012 1:58 PM

Hi

Try looking at the website Northumberlandgolf.com there are few  courses on there and I think there's some ads for golf breaks in the UK.

• Oxygene
    26 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 1:40 PM

Ade, if you're travelling and need a testing course with lots of water you cant go wrong with Formby Hall,Formby,Merseyside. It's PGA approved and celebrity ridden at times as they hold charity events there. It's on the A565 and round the corner is Royal Birkdale,Hillside,Southport & Ainsdale,Formby Golf Club,which are local courses for me.Good luck with you're venture and happy golfing! Alan in Northwest UK.

RSS