Forums

Help › Forums

Re: WGT & RYDER CUP GOLF

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 28 2009 3:46 AM (29 replies)
  • seveking
    983 Posts
    Tue, Mar 24 2009 1:54 PM

Captains deciding? Could be a possibility. Any other ideas? Come on guys, I'm giving you the chance to say what you want!

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, Mar 24 2009 2:33 PM

If you'd like my opinions... :)

Choose 2 captains (who I assume will also play).  Select 8 players (4 per team) based on some sort of stat criteria or competition.  Then allow Captain's choice to fill out the remaining 2 spots on each team.

Play it exactly as the Ryder Cup is played save for the Alternate shot/hole matches.

This should only be done at a maximum of once per year.  When it is done it needs to be done right.  I recommend near the end of the summer to allow a few months to setup & coordinate.  That will give it prestige and some extra flavor if it's an annual event.  It'll also give it a chance to get known. 

What would really be cool is if you could convince WGT to include a community section in their monthly newsletter to give mention to any user-run tournaments that are upcoming.  Even just a bump on the blog would be extremely helpful.

In the meantime, someone should setup some sort of competition for qualifying.  18 hole tournaments start in April.  Results from 3 consecutive rounds (May, June, July) in the International Open's would be the way to go, I think.

Also, I think it should be reserved for Amateurs (or whatever the highest tier is) only.  Best of the best.

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Wed, Mar 25 2009 9:14 AM

Yes, I had also noticed we were struggling for time if we wanted to play qualifying rounds and then this in May, so this is the plan, which could still be slightly changed if new and better ideas come up, but basically it will be:

On the first of April I will start a new thread in Community Organised Tournaments, with the link to sign up for the Ryder Cup and the link to sign up as Captain. The signups will be open for the whole of the month of April.

On the first of May I will post two links: one to vote for one of the people who want to be captain of your team and one to post your International Open scores. The Monthly International Opens of May, June, July and August will be the only way to qualify for the players of "Team World". You get six points for a Top Ten, five for top 20, four for top 30, three for top 40, two for top 50 and one for top 60.

For the Americans, everything will be exactly the same, except you can also get points by playing in the Weekly free tournaments: three points for a Top ten, two for top 20 and one for top 30.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Mar 25 2009 11:29 AM

So American's would have roughly 16 weeks worth of tournaments + the 4 IO's to play in?  For a total of 20 "point-worthy" events?

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Wed, Mar 25 2009 12:59 PM

Yep. Obviously it's not compulsory to play them all, but the more you play the more chances you'll have of qualifying.

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2009 10:56 AM

Anything else? Any more questions before I open the signups in a couple of days?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2009 11:00 AM

Will there be punch & pie? :D

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2009 11:09 AM

Punch and pie? I imagine you're just joking, but what is punch and pie?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2009 11:20 AM

More people will come if they think you have punch & pie.

http://www.overthinkingit.com/2009/03/04/the-use-of-punch-and-pie-as-an-attendance-incentive-a-case-study/

I am joking of course. :)  Looks like you got this thing ready to go.

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2009 3:46 AM

Well, we will have punch and pie then:).

A reminder to everybody that the signups will NOT take place on this thread, but on a NEW THREAD which I will start up in the Community Organised Tournaments section.   

RSS