Forums

Help › Forums

Re: How I would improveWGT....

Fri, Aug 4 2023 9:17 PM (22 replies)
  • Squatch031
    161 Posts
    Sat, May 20 2023 2:05 PM

If  I were King for a day I would.....

-Get rid of coin games and apparel that somehow makes your golf game better.  Maybe Tiger Woods was is so good because he wears some of these items!

-Limit clothing to something that is presentable as opposed to some of the ensembles I see now.

-Get the distances corrected on some of the courses/hole, especially the Olympic Club.

-Screen names!  Some of this are perverted and political. 

-Adapt a handicap system where every round you play affects your average.

-Get rid of tiers

-Make all equipment available for purchase to all handicaps. 

-Cut back on wind speeds.  I am sure that not every tournament on the PGA is played in high winds.

-Put an end to duplicate profiles and those who play down.

-Add timers to EVERY tournament, even if playing single.  No more going through various spreadsheets and shooting in the 50s. 

-Hire a staff that is responsive to player inquiries.  You don't have to agree, but at least respond.

I am sure I have missed a few items but in short, I would make it more like REAL GOLF!

• Koclea
    28 Posts
    Fri, May 26 2023 7:37 PM

I would allow the player to have multiple avatars.  Each of which could have different clubs, different apparel etc.  Depending on the type of game I was playing I would easily be able to select the appropriate avatar.  

This would discourage players from having multiple accounts, and would be a windfall for Topgolf as they could sell more equipment. Just sayin'

• dragonmouse
    24 Posts
    Sat, May 27 2023 2:03 PM

I would add to make all games whether coin or tournament, available to choose the course.  Why would I wish to risk coins or play on courses I despise?  On tournament's you get the choice at selection, on coins the random throw to a course is ignorant.  In life I would not drive hours to play a course I can't stand, nor would I ever wager anything on such a course even were I looking for the challenge of play.   Everyone has their favorites, so not picking on any one in particular, but it does seem as if the ones I would rather not play are the very ones that get the highest avg. of times thrown at me in coin games. 

Before blaming the algorithm, 9 of 16 one hole games played over a common sat morning session at 1 of the 2 courses I am speaking of doesn't exactly fall into random, just sayin. 

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Sun, May 28 2023 3:48 PM

Koclea:

I would allow the player to have multiple avatars.  Each of which could have different clubs, different apparel etc.  Depending on the type of game I was playing I would easily be able to select the appropriate avatar.  

This would discourage players from having multiple accounts, and would be a windfall for Topgolf as they could sell more equipment. Just sayin'

You are completely misunderstanding the reasons why people open multiple accounts. 

• Koclea
    28 Posts
    Sun, May 28 2023 5:00 PM

OK, why do people have multiple accounts?

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Mon, May 29 2023 11:12 AM

Koclea:

OK, why do people have multiple accounts?

A few different reasons. Some create one, after they realised they tiered up too quickly and can't compete in their tier, so they create a new account to be able to enjoy the game from shorter tees and against opponents of similar skill. Those are pretty harmless and often actually spend real money on this game. But there are others, who create new accounts, so that they can play in credit tourneys against lower tiers and fleece them, given the difference in skill between some C or TC, who created a new account (or more of them), so they can can play against real newcomers in Pro (tour Pro, Master, etc.) RGs and brackets and win enough credits to keep their main account stocked with balls and then some. Those aren't so harmless...

But most importantly, nobody creates a new account (as you suggested) just to be able to get a different avatar with a different set of clubs and clothes, cause they can do that now. You can change your avatar, clubs and clothes at will on your one and only account,  so why would anyone create a new one for that? 

• BlackBogey
    250 Posts
    Mon, May 29 2023 12:47 PM

Just a few my own personal takes on your ideas:

Squatch031:

-Get rid of coin games and apparel that somehow makes your golf game better.  Maybe Tiger Woods was is so good because he wears some of these items!    Not likely to happen for 2 words - "Younger Generation".  As we are seeing with MLB, many of the "younger generation" just want something that they can participate in for a short while then move on to the next thing before their attention level bottoms out (all while looking "snazzy" while doing it).  Getting rid of coin games and apparel would turn these people off and be a revenue hit for WGT.  I would agree with you 100% on the "boosts", utterly ridiculous to me.

-Limit clothing to something that is presentable as opposed to some of the ensembles I see now.  This I would personally agree with, but hey, to each their own I guess?

-Get the distances corrected on some of the courses/hole, especially the Olympic Club.

-Screen names!  Some of this are perverted and political.    To be honest, once the opening screen showing who I'll be playing against is over, I really never consider anyone's screen name again.  I suppose if it was something totally inappropriate I might take more notice, but I have yet to come across anything that offensive.  They only way I'm going to remember a screen name is if we have a pleasant round/chat I may make a mental note of them on the final hole to send a friend request to later.

-Adapt a handicap system where every round you play affects your average.   Not really possible without your #1 wish happening.  I would like coin games to count for HDCP/AVG, but not really fair if using apparel  boosts.  Practice rounds you can hit mulligans so those are out.  So what's left?  Pretty much leaves ranked/tournament rounds, as it already is set up.

-Get rid of tiers  Why?  (see below)

-Make all equipment available for purchase to all handicaps.  I suppose if going with the getting rid of tiers scenario mentioned, this might be possible, but part of the allure of playing a "game" is learning and advancing the more time you put in, so this one is hard pass for me.  Also, at that point it just becomes an exercise of who can afford the best gear/balls instead of a "skill" challenge.  There are many great players who pay very little real money, but have put in the time to learn/map "lesser" clubs and be extremely competitive. 

-Cut back on wind speeds.  I am sure that not every tournament on the PGA is played in high winds.  100%!  Every few holes, or stretch of holes is fine, but who in real life is playing in consistent 28-30mph winds?

-Add timers to EVERY tournament, even if playing single.  No more going through various spreadsheets and shooting in the 50s.  Is your argument against using spreadsheets in general or against slow play?  I can get most of my calculations from a single spreadsheet that includes yardage/wind/putt distance/putt break.  I'm working on incorporating my 64* punch into this same sheet.  I can calculate my shot and execute in under 30 seconds.

-Hire a staff that is responsive to player inquiries.  You don't have to agree, but at least respond.  I'm not butt-kissing, but WGT staff has always been more than reasonable about getting back to my requests.  Ask in a civil manner and be somewhat patient and you can usually get positive results, at least in my limited experience.

I am sure I have missed a few items but in short, I would make it more like REAL GOLF!

Now mine -

1) Give reasonable drops for lateral hazards.  If you hit a drive that goes +/-300 yds, hits a cart path and ricochets into lateral hazard, you shouldn't have to re-hit 3 from the tee, you should be hitting 3 from somewhere near where you crossed the hazard (or at least a drop zone).  Or dropping on the other side of the hazard in brush/deep rough/or behind a tree.

2) Add the exact end time of entry deadlines for tournaments to the app.  I shouldn't have to open the app, see a tournament I'm interested in, then go to website, then dig through several more layers to see the exact cut-off time for entering.

3) Make these forums a quick link on the mobile app.  I mostly play mobile, and if there is a way to get here from there, I sure don't know it.  I read WAY WAY more on the forums than I post, and have picked up so much valuable information, I think more players might stick around if they knew about the forums and would do some research.

4) Clean up the Pro Shop search function.  Technically there isn't even a "search" button on either mobile or PC, you just have to kind of know what you are looking for and then hunt/peck until you find it.

5) I can't take credit for this but think it is an excellent idea: Have a ball that is customizable and you pay for the attributes you want.  It would be one of the "MAX" balls, or possibly a new one-off category.  That way you don't pay for extra spin or distance if you don't want/need it.  There's too much compromise right now to me.  I guess I'm kind of like Goldilocks - this one spins too much, this one has too fast of a meter, and that one looks good but durability stinks.  You base the price the price on the attributes you pick.  Meter speed is most costly, followed by durability, but you can save some credits if you take a lot less spin and a tad less distance.

Again, just my thoughts in an open discussion, not trying to offend by disagreeing with most of your takes.  This is after-all about if you were in charge.

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Mon, Jul 3 2023 11:52 AM

If I may...

Squatch031:

-Get rid of coin games and apparel that somehow makes your golf game better.  Maybe Tiger Woods was is so good because he wears some of these items!

The coin rooms have a huge population and they love their apparel. This would be a hard sell. Just avoid the coin rooms and only join or create games with the apparel optioned turned off. Easily solved.

-Limit clothing to something that is presentable as opposed to some of the ensembles I see now.

Yes…Agree. Nothing quite as deflating as joining a game only to have your opponents wearing snowman helmets and turkey hats.

This wouldn’t be fair to those who have made notes over the years and their savviness of the game is a direct reflection of that.

-Screen names!  Some of this are perverted and political. 

People will be people. What can you do…

-Adapt a handicap system where every round you play affects your average.

Every ranked round played effects your average. Other than the average, most stats have ranked and non-ranked stats differentiated, and those are very close to each other. I would assume the differentiated averages would be close too.

-Get rid of tiers

I disagree with this one. Tiers are something that must be worked towards and earned. Anyone can level up, but tiering up takes some sacrifice.

-Make all equipment available for purchase to all handicaps. 

This has been brought up a lot of times and isn’t a bad idea but I think it would hurt WGT’s revenue. Imagine a brand new player buying all top-of-the-line clubs right out of the gate. He has just spent all he will ever spend on clubs. No upgrading along the way, just one purchase and he’s done.

-Cut back on wind speeds.  I am sure that not every tournament on the PGA is played in high winds.

But they’re fun

Yes, this is a must.

-Add timers to EVERY tournament, even if playing single.  No more going through various spreadsheets and shooting in the 50s. 

Actually using a spreadsheet is quicker than “accurately” thinking through a shot.

-Hire a staff that is responsive to player inquiries.  You don't have to agree, but at least respond.

I haven’t noticed a lack of help in the last couple of years. WGT also has a Discord channel that is very active and WGTnico and WGTchampion regularly participate in the discussions.

"I would make it more like REAL GOLF!"

I do not disagree!

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Mon, Jul 3 2023 12:03 PM

If I were King for a day, I highly doubt I'd spend it thinking about ways to improve wgt...lol

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Mon, Jul 3 2023 12:13 PM

ct690911:

If I were King for a day, I highly doubt I'd spend it thinking about ways to improve wgt...lol

TV gif. Jim Parsons as Sheldon in Big Bang Theory holds a bowl and a pair of chopsticks, sitting on a couch. He looks over and says pointedly, "It's funny because it's true," which appears as text.

RSS