Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Two club questions

rated by 0 users
Thu, Apr 13 2023 11:35 AM (6 replies)
  • Cleanwilly
    3 Posts
    Wed, Apr 12 2023 12:22 PM

I recently added a Callaway 52 deg wedge to my bag, not realizing that my previous wedge was a part of my i500 iron set, so now I have the i500 wedge that I will never use. Do I just deal with it or is there a solution to the wasted club?

Also tried out the Taylormade Stealth Plus Driver LVL74 and fell in love with the slow meter and the little extra distance over my G410. Would that be a good purchase or would it make sense to wait until something else unlocks? I plan on only ever using the WGT balls.

Thank you!

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Wed, Apr 12 2023 11:11 PM

Cleanwilly:

I recently added a Callaway 52 deg wedge to my bag, not realizing that my previous wedge was a part of my i500 iron set, so now I have the i500 wedge that I will never use. Do I just deal with it or is there a solution to the wasted club?

Also tried out the Taylormade Stealth Plus Driver LVL74 and fell in love with the slow meter and the little extra distance over my G410. Would that be a good purchase or would it make sense to wait until something else unlocks? I plan on only ever using the WGT balls.

Thank you!

1. Unfortunately, the Iron sets are fixed, so you're stuck with the club. The only way to get rid of it is to either sell back the Iron set or the 52 wedge. But you"ll only get 25% of what you paid... 

2. If you're not in a hurry, it's always worth waiting for either 1 or 7 more levels, depending of how patient you are.

But I'd advise a few more changes to your bag though. Sell the hybrid, cause it's useless. Then get 3 wedges with evenly spaced distances, either 100/80/60 or 100/75/50 yards. Although this is a golf game, it's still a game, so you need to think in gaming instead of golfing terms for some things. 

• GreenLaser
    172 Posts
    Thu, Apr 13 2023 12:30 AM

I got that discounted 52° Callaway wedge when I hit L94 thinking I might not have much use for it. The L97 and L100 irons have a 120 yard PW, so possibly it might have some use for me when and if I get those irons, but I mainly got it to use as a specialty club to swap in for the Par 3 courses. I'm not sure if I'm good enough for it to be much benefit for me, but it's still fun to play around with it. 

You're Level 95. Unless you have credits to burn, wait for the L96 Callaway Paradym driver.  

The L74 TaylorMade was the first driver I purchased, and I loved that club. Next driver I got was the L85 Callaway and loved that one, too.  The slightly less Forgiveness of the L85 Callaway was noticeable to me. It did give me a little more distance over the L74 TaylorMade but not that much.  I'd rate those two drivers pretty even in quality.  

The L96 Callaway has it all--slow meter, excellent Forgiveness, and a good step up in distance over the other two. 

I agree about losing the hybrid and going to a 3 wedge 100/80/60 or 100/75/50 set up. Still, you might hang on to the hybrid to swap in for the Par 3 courses.

• Cleanwilly
    3 Posts
    Thu, Apr 13 2023 10:50 AM

Thank you both! Excellent suggestions on the wedges and waiting for the L96 Callaway driver. 

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Thu, Apr 13 2023 11:09 AM

GreenLaser:
    You're Level 95. Unless you have credits to burn, wait for the L96 Callaway Paradym driver.  

Agreed.  Here's a comparison between the L96 Callaway, the L74 TaylorMade you rented, and the L58 Ping you have now:

The L74 is a very good driver for its level, but the L96 is a better deal if you can afford it.  It's High trajectory, which will make it easier to clear some trees that will be in play once you reach Legend (like on Olympic or Congressional #4 or Pebble #13), and it will land softer on holes like Oakmont #8 and #17.  And, although it doesn't sound like much, the extra 7 yards distance will basically make a half-club difference on most of your approach shots.

AnaNikolaj:
    Sell the hybrid, cause it's useless. Then get 3 wedges with evenly spaced distances, either 100/80/60 or 100/75/50 yards.

Agreed.  Since you (Cleanwilly) already have the L52 Max Spin wedge in your bag, I'd recommend picking up the other two Max Spin wedges.  That way you'll have a matched set for cheap.

Hope this helps.

• Cleanwilly
    3 Posts
    Thu, Apr 13 2023 11:35 AM

That helps so much, thank you!

• beerstine
    656 Posts
    Thu, Apr 13 2023 12:02 PM

Wait for the L96 Paradym, a perfectly good endgame driver with higher trajectory.  

The 52 degree wedge is hard to play as an every round club since it too closely matches the PW you can't swap out.  It is useful if you change your set to play CTTH or Par 3s as it's a more accurate club than the stock PW.

RSS