Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Can The Best Be Too Much?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 2 2023 6:16 PM (6 replies)
  • Slimjim001
    1,024 Posts
    Sat, Apr 1 2023 3:35 PM

As with so many of us who play this awesome game, I am always thinking about how I might improve. As I moved up through the ranks, I acquired better and better equipment, assuming that my game would improve at the same pace as the better equipment I put in my bag. Well, it didn’t. I’ve since concluded that my top-of-the-line equipment may have been too much for me, that it might have been doing my game more harm than good so I began experimenting with lesser quality stuff which might better fit my skill and ability level. I’ve downgraded my 3 wood, irons and wedges. I’m playing better now than I have for the past couple years.  I would like to hear your opinion. Do you think that using top of the line equipment can be more of a detriment than a help?

• tramilleo
    1,869 Posts
    Sat, Apr 1 2023 7:27 PM

good question Slim  but i think to each his own, i couldnt play with inferior. equipment since i have played with top of the line stuff for years, i would have to relearn everything lol

• Lesthanpar
    1,449 Posts
    Sun, Apr 2 2023 1:19 AM

Slimjim001:

As with so many of us who play this awesome game, I am always thinking about how I might improve. As I moved up through the ranks, I acquired better and better equipment, assuming that my game would improve at the same pace as the better equipment I put in my bag. Well, it didn’t. I’ve since concluded that my top-of-the-line equipment may have been too much for me, that it might have been doing my game more harm than good so I began experimenting with lesser quality stuff which might better fit my skill and ability level. I’ve downgraded my 3 wood, irons and wedges. I’m playing better now than I have for the past couple years.  I would like to hear your opinion. Do you think that using top of the line equipment can be more of a detriment than a help?

Not for me at my skill level. Equipment with better stats plays better for me after I learn it and know it with the exception of the putter.

• craigswan
    30,950 Posts
    Sun, Apr 2 2023 3:04 AM

I can agree with you jim .

Too much technical is too much .

Look at dechambeau and his 400 yard drives . Doesn't make him win very much from the rough .

I have never used backspin . Why bother going 3 yards past just to come back the way .

And outdriving the fairway is not progress .

It can be useful in certain situations to use backspin and full length drives but not very often .

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Sun, Apr 2 2023 4:51 AM

Slimjim001:

Hello Jim!

Very nice question. My opinion is the following:

I remember when i started playing pool. After couple of months when i learned the basics (in general lines...), a guy comes to me and says: Play with this cue, is better!!

I played for about 2-3 hours but i didn't notice much of a difference, so i said to the guy: Sorry, but i don't know why you consider this cue stick better than my previous one.

A third guy who was watching (he was an experienced player) comes to me and says:

You can't appreciate the differences of these 2 cues cause your game is limited in the execution of 1 or 2 type of shots. When you play more and understand how many different type of shots are involved with this game, perhaps then you could appreciate the differences.

He was bang on 100% correct with his comment!!! And i realised that after a year playing pool.

Same thing goes for WGT. What benefit can give me an iron set 100+ level with certain properties and a sleeve of balls that cost 1500+ credits if don't know, or understand how to use them. Absolutely nothing!!

In my opinion, the first and most important ingredient for someone to level up, is the observation.

Start recording your rounds. Go back and play them back do understand why this shot ended up the way it did. Can be a mistake by you, can be a miscalculation, can be a VEM shot, can be the use of a wrong club, can be the use of more or less back spin...many many reasons.

When you find out what the problem was, integrate it into your gray cells (as Poirot says) or write it down. Then, try to explain why you encounter this sort of pattern on these shots in order to understand WHY this is happening.

After you have put all the above in order, then you can appreciate and choose the right clubs and balls for you. Why? Because then, you will know what to do with them.

(the ''you'' usage is in general form and not spedifically towards you Jim)

• GreenLaser
    175 Posts
    Sun, Apr 2 2023 5:22 AM

Seems there are lots of ways to play this game.  

The Mizuno 3-woods are sweet clubs.  I used the L48 Mizuno as my driver, I think, all the way until I reached Master.  I replaced it with the L86 Callaway 3-wood when I reached that level because I wanted to match meter speed with other clubs.  Replaced that with the L90 Mizuno 3-wood even though the Mizuno's meter is faster.  I know the L99 Callaway 3-wood is a 250 yard club, but has anyone compared actual distance with the 242 yard 3-woods?

I'm still not completely comfortable with my 4.5 spin wedges. I use cheap balls and select balls that make my calculation easier.  I tend to use balls that track pretty closely with the cited distances for my 3.5 spin irons if I hit them full backspin.  That means hitting no spin most of the time with my 4.5 spin wedges and sometimes fudging the distance a bit with a little spin one way or the other. I'm sure at some point I'll need to switch to better balls to progress further.  And when I reach L97 and 4.5 spin irons, I'm sure that will change how I play, too.  

There's a lot of guesstimation in my game.  I use my MAX Meter 64° wedge probably more than I should. It's the only club I pitch with. I don't chip or flop with any clubs.  I routinely choke down to less than 50% power with it when hitting Full which is probably a no-no for most people.

I don't expect to be a great player, but I'm having fun doing things the way I do them.

• Slimjim001
    1,024 Posts
    Sun, Apr 2 2023 6:16 PM

You've given me some food for thought Yiannis. It does bother me to set aside my best equipment and settle for stuff that may work better for the moment but might limit me down the road. I'm going to take your advice and start recording and reviewing. Your pool cue illustration helped since back in the day, I could hold my own on the slate table. I used a custom cue and understood why. Thanks for your advice.

RSS