Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Vem

Wed, Apr 24 2024 1:45 PM (22 replies)
  • BOZskills
    392 Posts
    Sat, Jan 28 2023 3:41 PM

This might be a slight rant. Today while playing the elimination round of the showdown,i got vemed! Let me explain. Par 5 ,wind 4-6 mph quartering out of the right. Aimed just right of the center of the fairway at the full distance of my driver. Hit a perfect dinger, and miraculously my ball ended up 20 yrds off the fairway in the right rough. At least 35yrds off where it should have landed. Now it's one thing to have the vem running during coin room games,(who cares). But in a showdown this is not right! Thats it rant over.

P.S. one other thing slow play does not =good play. It only equals time wasting! Done.                     

• tramilleo
    1,869 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2023 4:02 AM

P.S. one other thing slow play does not =good play. It only equals time wasting! Done.                     

indeed  STUDY LONG STUDY WRONG

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2023 3:17 PM

BOZskills:
    Now it's one thing to have the vem running during coin room games,(who cares). But in a showdown this is not right!
    VEM doesn't care. It was built in the early days, strokeplay, matches, Blitz in mind. Thus, it applies to all games, and ev1 has to take his medicine.

• Fist0Blister
    28 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2023 2:22 PM

Turn VEM Off it isnt needed

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,503 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2023 2:55 PM

Fist0Blister:

Turn VEM Off it isnt needed

LOL I wish we could.

If it was possible though, WGT then would've been out of business long time ago since that would make WGT nothing more than a simple boring math calculation game.

The experts in gambling business (including this company here) know exactly what it takes to addict people to their game : probability (chance) elements. And in case of WGT, that's what VEM does.

VEM is, in fact, the core of this game. I just hope it's always being applied to everyone fairly and equally.

• tramilleo
    1,869 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2023 6:54 AM

pdb1:

tramilleo:
    indeed  STUDY LONG STUDY WRONG

Study at all . You can hit the ball .

indeed

• BrianCheese
    38 Posts
    Tue, Apr 9 2024 5:40 AM

SimonTheBeetle:
    VEM is, in fact, the core of this game. I just hope it's always being applied to everyone fairly and equally.

I'd not heard about VEM until Sunday when I was bemoaning suddenly being unable to play and being beaten by Tour Pros defying the laws of physics (stopping a basic ball on CTTH Bandon's 8th a foot from the hole with a starter LW on a Tournament 12 green).

My game was as good - if not better - than it ever was until Sunday when either my consistency failed me (and according to my eyes and brain it hadn't) or VEM kicked in specifically in the coin rooms, when I started losing to a mixture of insanely impossible shots by 'worse' players or because the shots I've always played - using my brain and maths skills - started to fall apart. 

I had a reputation for being a cynical believer that WGT was fixed and I had that belief knocked out of me because it - WGT - clearly works on the principal that to become good at anything you need to practice a lot first; become familiar with your courses, your equipment and when you upgrade said equipment apply the same rule. It is a computer game not RL, therefore you cannot apply RL logic to it.

However, the concept of VEM - whether you believe it or not - has absolutely robbed me of my love of this game. Just the possibility that it exists has skewered my belief - made me think that every time a Tour Pro sinks a 60 foot putt or stops a basic ball on a penny with a crap club that it's because the game has allowed it rather than through skill (and I tried to do that and failed so many times with starter clubs). 

Someone said to me, 'perhaps you were just beaten by a good tour pro - there are many who just play coin rooms' and I see that, I understand that a lot of players just play the coin room side of the game, see it as an advantage and utilise the clubs available to them to that advantage. But when I used to have a 99 out of 100 putting average under 10 feet and that suddenly withers away to 60% while watching my opponents hole 'impossible' putts from ridiculous distances to tie or win a hole, I now no longer write it off as a fluke or a great putt; I think I've been VEM'd. I think WGT know that I've been playing a long time and spending money so I'm going to accept the bad days as just bad days or weeks. I'm unlikely to quit or not play any more. Therefore it must be me, after all... But if you have new players, people who have been here under a certain amount of time and *might* be on the cusp of spending money, then perhaps giving them a VEM boost might be the best thing - financially and economically - WGT can do?

Is it or does it get applied equally and fairly? Does WGT know full well that someone like me will come and complain and a horde of WGT fans will come on and reply with derisory or sarcastic/facetious comments that dismiss my points or make light of them with facile excuses, pointing the finger at me rather than, heaven forbid WGT?

I guess we'll never know for sure. 

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Wed, Apr 10 2024 4:01 AM

Chad Nelson AKA MisterWGT stated in a live chat many years ago "Yes the technology of VEM does exist. But it has never been implemented. What you see from time to time is the random deviation built into the game".

• BrianCheese
    38 Posts
    Wed, Apr 10 2024 4:10 AM

borntobesting:

Chad Nelson AKA MisterWGT stated in a live chat many years ago "Yes the technology of VEM does exist. But it has never been implemented. What you see from time to time is the random deviation built into the game".

Anyone can state anything but not actually be telling the truth. Politicians do it all the time. Company bosses tell us we need to pay more to fix things while lining the pockets of shareholders. The seed is there and has been sown. Once you acknowledge something exists you can't put it back in the box.

RSS