Help › Forums

Re: Wind speed, ball spin, and elevation change

rated by 0 users
Wed, Feb 1 2023 1:15 AM (7 replies)
  • bensands0
    3 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2023 3:44 PM

Hello all, first post here.  

I’ve played for some time. Quit for some time. Played for some time. I’m on back surgery number 5, so I figured I’d dust off the old clubs. Truth be told, they’re good. I haven’t not spent money on this game and I have a fair amount of good clubs and decent balls.

But I wanted to see if you all can share your opinions on some things that are often argued about here. But first things first, ball spin.  If I go all the way up, no spin, does that mean the ball will have less height or the idea is that it’ll die right as it lands? And on the opposite side, if I drag it all the way down, and full spin, am I going to have max flight, and potential “pulling of the chain” when it lands?  In your experience, does this affect distance..? Should I never touch ball spin?

Next, wind speed. Many are saying for every 2mph, you add or subtract a yard, granted it’s a direct headwind or tailwind. I understand it’s a game, and not perfect science, AND IT ALSO depends on my sliding scale and how close to perfect I land on the shot scale. 

Lastly, for the most part, is the consensus that it’s mainly divide by 3 for height as the best rule of thumb for height? 15ft means add 5ft…? 

or do I have height and wind speed mixed up?

any other tips? I suck at putting. I’m sure everyone else does too, but I just can’t seem to land on it properly. Any and all tips help.

and if anyone has an active country club, please send me an invite.  I’d love a level 10-12+ club with at least 60 members of which at least 60% are weekly active.

thanks. And happy golfing.  

• EntropiaBones
    16 Posts
    Thu, Jan 26 2023 3:56 AM

The rule I was given on elevation , going up you divide by 3 , going down you divide by 4.

I find this relatively accurate , though it takes some tweaking in severe cases. 

You have to remember the ball is hitting sooner as you go up , and later as you go down , which effects the bounce and spin.

Balls I can't help you , as I only use the WGT free balls. I might at a later date use others , but as it stands I want a common denominator as I keep ranking up.

As far as ball spin I have tested on practice courses using full back or down spin to get extra loft and travel. I also tested forward spin thinking it might travel further once it landed , which it does in some circumstances , such as down sloping fairways. Forward spin or up spin is very useful when approaching a green and need to add a 1 to 3 yards. Beware though on faster greens as it might add considerably more. 

I can't give any useful information on wind , as it is always making me scratch my head when it doesn't behave as I had calculated.

I hope you and maybe others may find this useful.

• kvist1891
    7 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2023 10:30 AM

Hello! 

this might be a lame answer but the best way to get a hold of all parameters is to go out on a CTTH practice round and just try out different clubs, power, spin, directions for wind etc. Wolf Creek a great course for getting a better understanding of elevation for ex. St Andrews if you want to work on strong winds etc.

I tried some calcus methods and so on but find myself shooting lower scores when going with gut feelings and earlier exp from same kind of shots Putting in my exp diff from course to course, you could have same kind of lie, speed, distance etc but the putt can diff one ball length anyway. Specially noticeble when playing unlimit round tournaments and play a course a ton and switch to another.

Just my experience and i hope you get a better answer elsewhere haha! Hope you can take anything from it. 
    Cheers! And your welcome to join my CC, just lvl 7 but… 

• bensands0
    3 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2023 6:42 AM

I actually love this idea of going to CTTH. It make be a bit more time consuming but because they cant really allow you to practice your clubs outside of going outside the course to play in the top golf arena, this may be the ticket. Thanks. 

• kvist1891
    7 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2023 2:41 PM

pdb1:

kvist1891:
    this might be a lame answer but the best way to get a hold of all parameters is to go out on a CTTH practice round and just try out different clubs, power, spin, directions for wind etc. Wolf Creek a great course for getting a better understanding of elevation for ex. St Andrews if you want to work on strong winds etc.

Sounds good . I am aware of the

Limited time, Ready Go , Bracket , Challenge,

CTTH's.

None of which have a practice mode .

How do you get practice mode CTTH's ?

My mistake, i ment go to Stroke Play/CTTH. Practice mode only apply to stroke play. But its easier or quicker atleast to go to CTTH and get some practice on various shots. Pretty handy to have some CTTH rounds under your belt when you tie a coin game. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

RSS