Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Mobile Match Play - Inviting more than one player

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 20 2022 10:55 AM (6 replies)
  • Gashmaster1
    41 Posts
    Sat, Dec 17 2022 7:49 AM

When trying to create a Match Play game in the new Mobile version, it only allows you to invite one person from the list. Soon as you invite the first you don’t have the option to invite more, your only option is to tee off.

Is it a bug in the new mobile version? 

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Mon, Dec 19 2022 9:22 PM

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Dec 20 2022 2:09 AM

Gashmaster1:

When trying to create a Match Play game in the new Mobile version, it only allows you to invite one person from the list. Soon as you invite the first you don’t have the option to invite more, your only option is to tee off.

Is it a bug in the new mobile version? 

It's not a bug, Match Play is always two players.  If/when Alternative Shot is added that will be four players and that is the only number that'll be able to play in a game of that format.

I think some confusion is caused as coin games are often referred to as match play and they're not.  In match play (or alt shot) it's not possible to win 2 holes in a 3 hole game, or 5 of 9, and tie or lose. 

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Tue, Dec 20 2022 5:35 AM

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Dec 20 2022 6:48 AM

MarchieB:

DodgyPutter:
    I think some confusion is caused as coin games are often referred to as match play and they're not.  In match play (or alt shot) it's not possible to win 2 holes in a 3 hole game, or 5 of 9, and tie or lose. 

The OP is not confused as they are not talking about Coin Games. A true Match Play option was added to the Mobile version last week, but as the OP points out it only allows 2 player matches vs. the regular PC version which allows up to 4 player Match Play games.

I didn't say the OP was confused.  I did say there is confusion and I still think so, even if it's me.   Please tell me how do you play 3 or 4 player Match Play games?  I suppose you call it skins (or alt), but apart from that as I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant.

I'm not on mobile so I can't look but I do know about the update (below), I've never known such a thing on PC.

It just occurred to me, is this actually Stroke Play that WGT are calling Match Play as you play a match or something.  That would just be wrong in every way so probably not :-(  Ok, it's me that's confused.

• Mobile Match Play - Match Play is now available on mobile! We took the popular mode from our desktop version and brought it to the small screen. Play any courses on WGT against your friends or anyone across the world!
  • MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Tue, Dec 20 2022 10:55 AM
    • Sorry DP, yes you are correct.
    • I confused 4 player Stroke play with being able to play 4 player Match play. Match play on PC is limited to only 2 players. Stroke, Alt and Skins games are the 4 player options.
    • I had read this quote by Nico with regards to the new Match Play ... " We started with 2 player Match Play since 4 player modes could cause issues since a large part of it relies on the internet connections of the players in that game." I confused his statement with meaning that they limited Match play to 2 players (rather than 4) but he was actually referring to the other 4 player game modes (4 player Stroke,Alt and Skins)
    • The new Match play on Mobile is however true match play where you score by winning holes rather than tallying total strokes taken.
    • 2 player Stroke play on Mobile (where you can choose/invite your opponent) kind of already exists but is limited to 9 hole coin room games where you cannot choose the course or conditions as they are randomly selected by WGT.
RSS