Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Tiebreak Procedure

Fri, Jan 14 2022 10:43 AM (38 replies)
  • BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2011 5:58 PM

Pretty sure in the past there was an 18 hole playoff in the event of a tie in the 2 majors (at least the year that I won that was the case).

• TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Fri, Nov 18 2011 10:38 AM

What Sam mentioned is the correct way for WGT to handle the 2 majors.  I would hate to lose either of these due to a scorecard playoff.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Fri, Nov 18 2011 11:43 AM

For Ready-Go's, it's certainly the fairest way to split the pot.  I've always wondered why there had to be a winner in those when all the rest of the prizes simply got split amongst all those tied with the same score.

It's also interesting (in a good way), that the very people who stand to potentially gain the most from the current tie-break procedure, are the same ones who are requesting the change to a fairer system.

For the majors though, I'd say a playoff is definitely the correct way to handle it.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Sat, Dec 24 2011 3:26 AM

BolloxInBruges:

So that means if someone else has already posted a 26 you have virtually zero chance of winning the tournament due to the fact that they were first to submit a score.

maybe it's a different tie break procedure for RG's because I set up a cc comp round st andrews last night and immediately posted a 27 (leading score) by birdying all 9 holes, but when I looked this morning another member had posted a 27 and I was put into 2nd place, so it seems it doesn't really matter who is first to shoot the identical score.

perhaps RG's are different to normal ranked rounds with regards to tie breaks but I assumed they'd be the same.

just curious.

tbe

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Sat, Dec 24 2011 3:35 AM

thebigeasy707:

maybe it's a different tie break procedure for RG's because I set up a cc comp round st andrews last night and immediately posted a 27 (leading score) by birdying all 9 holes, but when I looked this morning another member had posted a 27 and I was put into 2nd place, so work that one out.

Hi TBE,

you are second because I posted also a 27 but I did an eagle on last hole. We have the same score, but not the same scorecard. We have same score on 9 hole, on the last 6 holes and on the last 3 holes and then the tiebreak procedure is to look at each individual hole starting from the last one where I did -2 and you -1. If I had birdied all holes like you, you would be 1st.

Regards

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Sat, Dec 24 2011 3:52 AM

genorb:

Hi TBE,

you are second because I posted also a 27 but I did an eagle on last hole. We have the same score, but not the same scorecard. We have same score on 9 hole, on the last 6 holes and on the last 3 holes and then the tiebreak procedure is to look at each individual hole starting from the last one where I did -2 and you -1. If I had birdied all holes like you, you would be 1st.

Regards

that explains it mate....i was just curious.

i always thought 9 straight birdies beat 7 birdies & 1 eagle.

you should be docked 1 stroke for hiding offline :)

cheers & Happy Christmas mate

Davy

• LibTuhrdsSuk
    55 Posts
    Tue, Jan 11 2022 9:09 AM

I say it goes to the lowest level player.  Some of these Masters level tournaments I play in there are level 110 and above sandbagging their way in.  Total BS

• BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Fri, Jan 14 2022 10:43 AM

LibTuhrdsSuk:

I say it goes to the lowest level player.  Some of these Masters level tournaments I play in there are level 110 and above sandbagging their way in.  Total BS

It looks like you complain a lot about things out of your control.   

I say play a little more, learn how to get better at the game and start winning those tournaments, or not, you can stay mediocre as it doesn’t really matter to me.  

RSS