Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Average - Calc Issue

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 5 2022 9:24 AM (9 replies)
  • pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Mon, Sep 5 2022 1:35 AM

Since hitting Tour Champion I have not played a ranked round.  I’ve only played CTTH, Par 3, Par 5, and coin room matches.  My average has been stuck on 54.99, the average thst took me from Champion to Tour Champion.  Now my average is up above 76 or something…yet I’ve purposely not played anything that figures into my average.  Has something changed in the average calculation?

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Mon, Sep 5 2022 2:08 AM

Not sure how it works, but "Coin Room" Only players, who never play a RR usually have an AVG of 150. I don't think it starts out like that though but I'm not 100% sure if their AVG's go up in stages or jump to 150 all at once.

At this point you have not played any type of round that would be considered a Ranked Round since you tiered up to TC. It is possible that because you are however playing coin room games you could technically be considered a "coin room" only player by the game.

Could it be possible that your AVG is on it's way up to 150?

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Sep 5 2022 3:32 AM

pmm711:

Since hitting Tour Champion I have not played a ranked round.  I’ve only played CTTH, Par 3, Par 5, and coin room matches.  My average has been stuck on 54.99, the average thst took me from Champion to Tour Champion.  Now my average is up above 76 or something…yet I’ve purposely not played anything that figures into my average.  Has something changed in the average calculation?

Paul I've wondered, and I'm sure I saw a post of yours elsewhere that made me think you did too, that the change in how the stat's are presented signified other changes.  I wonder about a change in how averages are to be calculated. 

Have you scored a 38/76 in anything, ranked or not?  Could you keep a note of anything including coin games for a wee while, I'm too saturated for it to work.  There are other odd things, I'll just add them up then post again.  

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Sep 5 2022 3:51 AM

You have 7,984 rounds, 7,928 of them are ranked so 56 are not.  If you look at the number of eagle birdie pars etc; DE, Eagle and Bogie are the same for ranked and total rounds. You have 29 more birdies, 31 pars, 3 bogies and 1 other.  It seems to me that means that in these 56 rounds you played only 64 holes.

64 holes does not make a whole number of rounds.

A very speculative shot in the dark would be four three-hole and 52 one-hole coin games. To emphasise I've no real reason for suggesting this other than it seems like there's something odd going on.  Anyway, this wouldn't explain your average unless they were counted which would be strange given that they're separated from "ranked rounds".

Maybe I'm doing something daft. :-/

Edit: Counted my own and while I have almost twice as many extra rounds, 118, I have a similar number of holes, 67.  So mine doesn't even work with one hole games.

By the way neither of us have a MP record but that may be a, already known, part of the scoring bug.  

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Mon, Sep 5 2022 6:34 AM

Having looked at the same stats I think I figured out how they came up with 76 based off your coin room games.

• (Total rounds played - Total RR's played)   7,984 - 7,928 = 56
    • (Stroke play score total - Ranked stroke play score total)                                         418,726 - 418,487 = 239
    • So for coin games, if you take your (stroke play score total / total rounds played) you get:  239 / 56 = 4.2678 (avg stroke score per round)
    • Now multiply that by 18 = AVG     4.2678 x 18 = 76.82 (rounded to 76)
    • This, twisted calculation to figure out AVG might account for why so many "Coin Only" players have AVG's of 150 as that would only require an average stroke score per round of 8.3 and that's easily achievable if you play anything other than just 1 hole games.
    • It never made any sense until now (assuming this IS how coin only player AVG's are calculated) as to why they had AVG's of 150??
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Sep 5 2022 7:11 AM

I'm not sure Marchie, 150 ave is just what everyone starts with, if you look they should have 0 rr's (playing coin games for example).  76.82 rounds to 77 and wgt have never rounded to a whole number before.  I'm not saying you're wrong either as something new, and odd, is happening. Or everything is even more messed up.

I think a one-hole coin game is counting as two rounds on "total rounds played" lol.

Edit: The other thing is you've assumed all his coin games are one hole, better to count par's, birdies etc as you get one of these (and only one) at every hole you play. That brings his average down. 239/64 = 3.734 x 18 = 67.22, which is more realistic too.

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Mon, Sep 5 2022 7:55 AM

I haven't assumed anything as the number of holes played is irrelevant to my calc. I'm just using the numbers that WGT provides. MY calc is not per hole as WGT doesn't count that stat. They count the # of Rounds played and the Total Score of those rounds.

I know it's not a correct way to calc an avg but the numbers work out.

Maybe it's just a fluke that they do but???

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Sep 5 2022 8:41 AM

MarchieB:
    MY calc is not per hole as WGT doesn't count that stat. They count the # of Rounds played and the Total Score of those rounds.

Then why do you do this?

• Now multiply that by 18 = AVG     4.2678 x 18 = 76.82 (rounded to 76)

I did explain a reliable way of getting the number of holes.

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Mon, Sep 5 2022 9:24 AM

The 4.2678 number  is not an avg score per hole it’s an avg score per round.  Because the OP has played mostly 1 hole games it is closer to a per hole score.But if a player played mostly 3 hole games they would have a number in the 10-14 range and if they played 9 hole rounds it could be anywhere in the 50’s to 70 or more if they don’t play well. 
    Again I’m not saying this is the correct calc but it does work out for the OP’s stats and maybe that’s just a fluke or coincidence and I’m totally wrong. If the OP played a 9 hole coin round it would be easy to see if it changes their AVG.

RSS