Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Where Can I See The Number of Balls I Currently Have In My Bag?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 20 2022 9:20 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Fri, Aug 19 2022 12:09 PM

Crying pal!!

Cheers!

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Sat, Aug 20 2022 8:21 PM

Now...why The English language decided to go with octopus instead of octapus, i have no idea!!!

I detect a healthy use of Liddell & Scott with some Goodwin and Gulick thrown in as well. I believe in researching the word you will discover that, as you note, the original derivation of the term is clearly Greek, but the Romans later Latinized it to “octopus” which served as the basis for the English language term. Considering that to be the case, the plural form in western English would be derived from the Latin first person plural nominative case, “octopi”. It’s a Greek word which, when Anglized, gives the nod to the Latin speaking Romans and not the originating Greeks. Romans liked to appropriate stuff and claim it as their own without giving credit to its original source. They felt they had the bigger army.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,497 Posts
    Sat, Aug 20 2022 9:20 PM

Cicero733:
    Romans liked to appropriate stuff and claim it as their own without giving credit to its original source. They felt they had the bigger army.

I know a country that shows this behaviour in our modern times. They even call themselves "the Central State". Talking about freaking arrogance! LOL Enough said.

• PAGES
RSS