Forums

Help › Forums

Re: "One timeout remaining"

rated by 0 users
Thu, Mar 30 2023 7:15 AM (27 replies)
  • ScottHope
    10,010 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2022 3:30 PM

Perhaps WGT should have used 'timed out' instead of 'time out'. 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2022 4:29 PM

Let me emphasize this again, the timing when it says "one timeout remaining".

SimonTheBeetle:
    ... right after you use the first one and before the timer starts ticking again...

Maybe WGT should add "One timeout remaining and you're about to use it." although not sure why this is this hard to understand for some people. 🙄

• Lesthanpar
    1,448 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2022 11:16 PM

I can see both perspectives because my English is so good lol.  If you use your 2 times outs you are done. But say you only had 1 time out and you were done. That means you had no time outs which makes no sense at all. So, you effectively have only 1 time out THAT YOU CAN USE I think it should be that you have 1 timeout not 2 because you cannot use the second one. Again, any experienced player should know after 1 time out do it again you are done.

• PureGro1
    1,654 Posts
    Sun, Jun 26 2022 7:07 AM

Lesthanpar:
    I can see both perspectives because my English is so good lol

• I2putt4green
    13 Posts
    Sun, Jun 26 2022 1:31 PM

Perhaps the real issue is how we interpret the meaning of the term "timeout". What is a timeout? And how many timeouts are we allowed during a match.

If a timeout is defined as the act of allowing the clock to run out of time, then yes, after allowing it to expire a second time you would be done, game over. If, however interpret the timeout as the ability to run the shot timer to zero AND have the clock reset, then yes, after allowing it to expire the second time you should get the clock reset again and be allowed to continue the match.

Which now leads to the arguement of how many timeouts do we have during a match, one or two. Well, if you believe a timeout is the expiration of time allowed to complete a shot, then we would have two timeouts total, with one remaining after allowing the clock to expire the first time. If you run the clock down to zero a second time, then that's it, game over.

On the other hand you feel the timeout is defined as the grace period granted after you've allowed the shot clock to expire and then can continue to play with a new timer to attempt the shot, then indeed there are no timeouts remaining after ther first one. You would not have one timeout remaining, and if you run the clock down again, you won't get that grace period to think things over before continuing on with yet another shot clock.  You're done, end of game.

So really, it comes down to what is a timeout as defined by the authority (WGT and their software development group). I think we know what they think. I've got better things to do than try to get the world to conform to one interpretation of a word since we all know words can take on multiple meanings in their usage regardless of language used to express them. Let's just agree to disagree and move on to better things.

Remember, in life when your time is up, there's no life remaining (other than the afterlife if you believe it exists) and its "game over" folks. Unfortunately, we don't get to see the timer!

• pmm711
    5,505 Posts
    Sun, Jun 26 2022 5:14 PM

SamSpayed:

MarchieB:
    I'm baffled that there are so many people who don't understand basic English and believe that it's correctly worded.

Agreed.  I look at it like the NBA does.  In the NBA, each team is allowed seven (7) timeouts per game.  That means they can take a timeout 7 times.  After they've taken 7, they can't take any more.  Pretty simple.  Not sure why that's that hard to understand 🙄

+1

I've played sports all my life.  The way the game words this is completely wrong.  In Sam's "time out" analogy he is correct.  But, the way the game addresses this is more like the 6 Fouls before you foul out of the game.  They need to change the wording to avoid confusion...make it "2 Fouls and You're Out".

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Sun, Jun 26 2022 9:11 PM

I2putt4green:

Perhaps the real issue is how we interpret the meaning of the term "timeout". What is a timeout? And how many timeouts are we allowed during a match.

If a timeout is defined as the act of allowing the clock to run out of time, then yes, after allowing it to expire a second time you would be done, game over. If, however interpret the timeout as the ability to run the shot timer to zero AND have the clock reset, then yes, after allowing it to expire the second time you should get the clock reset again and be allowed to continue the match.

Which now leads to the arguement of how many timeouts do we have during a match, one or two. Well, if you believe a timeout is the expiration of time allowed to complete a shot, then we would have two timeouts total, with one remaining after allowing the clock to expire the first time. If you run the clock down to zero a second time, then that's it, game over.

On the other hand you feel the timeout is defined as the grace period granted after you've allowed the shot clock to expire and then can continue to play with a new timer to attempt the shot, then indeed there are no timeouts remaining after ther first one. You would not have one timeout remaining, and if you run the clock down again, you won't get that grace period to think things over before continuing on with yet another shot clock.  You're done, end of game.

So really, it comes down to what is a timeout as defined by the authority (WGT and their software development group). I think we know what they think. I've got better things to do than try to get the world to conform to one interpretation of a word since we all know words can take on multiple meanings in their usage regardless of language used to express them. Let's just agree to disagree and move on to better things.

Remember, in life when your time is up, there's no life remaining (other than the afterlife if you believe it exists) and its "game over" folks. Unfortunately, we don't get to see the timer!

Very sage words, sir. Can't possibly agree more. Thank you.

With respect,

Simon

• TheDudemeister69
    1,561 Posts
    Wed, Jun 29 2022 10:59 AM

It's pretty simple really, and has nothing to do with life or apples.  Golf is a sport, so it should be safe to presume that this golf simulation game would follow the conventions of sport...

That convention is that if, after using a timeout, you are informed that you have one timeout remaining... it means that you can take that 1 more timeout AND continue playing after that timeout without being DQ'd.

If you run out the clock and are immediately DQ'd, the notice that you were given before that should have been that you had zero timeouts remaining.

Everyone can interpret it whatever way they want, but that is how the timeout system is conventionally handled in SPORTS, therefore that is the only interpretation that matters and is applicable to a game that purports to be a simulation of a sport.

• TheDudemeister69
    1,561 Posts
    Wed, Jun 29 2022 11:17 AM

My replies will not be timely, since my rare participation in the forum means I am on moderation.

Timeout, as defined by Merriam-Webster:

: a brief suspension of activity : break especially : a suspension of play in an athletic game

If the activity/play is "suspended" (i.e. not "ended"), it is reasonable to expect that it will continue after the timeout.

Timeout, as defined by Cambridge dictionary:

a short period during a game in some sports when the players stop playing in order to rest, plan what they are going to do next, etc.

If a timeout gives a player an opportunity to "rest, plan what they are going to do next, etc.", it is reasonable to expect that they will, in fact, continue playing after the timeout.

RSS