Forums

Help › Forums

Frustrating gameplay at Tour-Master tier

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 9 2022 8:18 PM (8 replies)
  • hartmutw
    11 Posts
    Thu, May 12 2022 2:50 PM

I've been playing WGT for about 1,5 years now. Good news: I managed to bump my skills up to Tour-Master.

Said that, gameplay is getting overly frustrating now. Drives, approaches all good, but putting is getting ridiculously tricky. Even with approaches regularly between 5-8 feet, I usually need 2 putts - good enough, but crap in tournaments or even to  maintain a decent statistical score.

Being a real-life golfer, I refuse using JC Sneed or similar spreadsheet-based approaches. It's just not my idea of fun to play an computer game using excel analyses to succeed - boring.

Unfortunately, none of the putting tutorials on youtube seem tto provide help. The always friendly and supportive young 46 say sth. about counting dots with 4 = x%, 6 = y%... doesn't make any sense to me. The issue isn't timing / speed, Those come with practice. The real issues are the breaks to the side, impossible to predict / guesstimate.

I am about to exit the game for good - or just to practise without any further credit / financial  investment. And trust me, my counted rounds are no indicator as I am practising a lot.

Said that, I'd be really interested in a putting tutorial that is easy to digest and doesn't require Excel. young 46's feel put is a good aproach, but I do not have the prerequisites - 100% at 4 dots, what does it mean - and it's speed, not direction...

Any hints / advice anyone?

• metz71cp
    3 Posts
    Sun, May 22 2022 3:17 PM

Unfortunately, welcome to WGT. I have been playing for over 11yrs.I am at level 138 and I am a Legend. I have over 11k ranked rounds played. There are so many things on this game that i cannot, for life of me, explain. It happens all of the time.....examples...I played my 195 club earlier and it carried 167. I played my 165 club and it carried 225 for a lost ball and a lost match. I had a 7yd chip in 30-40 rough go 15yds....I even had spin on the ball. Speaking of spin....one day i will put spin on the ball and it do a 2 hop and stop. Then on the same hole, do the same thing, and it will spin back 25yds off of the green. There are a lot of inconsistencies with this game. I have talked to too many people while playing that concur with me. I have played people that have starter clubs and starter putter. I have seen them drain 50ft putts like it was nothing and I miss a 6ft putt. I love when it shows break one direction, and it goes another. It's not you sir.....its a quirky game. I have debated quitting not for a while. WGT has seemingly taken the fun out of the game.   

• pase4win
    232 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2022 9:03 AM

Get Used to it it's all about how many hits on a ball so you have to buy more.

• yousuft0
    5 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2022 5:52 AM

Well, you've been playing WGT for a year and half now you realized the difficulty of gameplay especially the putting part.

It's about a month I've started playing WGT and my tier progressed to Tour Pro but my stats dramatically increased to 90+ points now.

I've examined my score card and as you said Drives, approaches all good, but putting is getting ridiculously tricky even with approaches regularly between 5-8 feet, but in my case sometimes approaches between 4 to 6 feet is getting difficult to putt and usually need 2 putts and in my case 3 putts.

I also got frustrated 😤 and thought of quitting but as I recently started playing WGT I thought I should continue and I'm also not a newbee to golf games I played in the past. So then decided to continue and thought I should watch some videos of those who are already experienced players and their score cards are in 50s

But believe me as I watched those videos I got more frustrated and I wanted to be as fast and accurate as they were but my gameplay got worsed. So I decided to stay clear of those videos and try to play as per my whatever not  good or bad approach or maybe I'll take more time to overcome difficulties and maybe progress slow to improve my already worsen score card.

Further said that WGT is a gameplay for us but WGT is a business for them. I've noticed if you keep on upgrading your clubs your game will progress relatively fast but otherwise it will get worsen. In my case I upgraded upto lvl33 and then decided to upgrade after lvl50 you can check my profile page my equipment is not basic and I have fairly reasonable driver / woods which are good till lvl100 imo. As far as Irons and wedges I'm short on one wedge maybe 54° otherwise my putter is uptodated at level 40 if I'm correct.

So the crux is to play the game per your abilities and pace and of course improveing your equipment time to time is the key to atleast a good reasonable score card. Happy Golfing! 

• hartmutw
    11 Posts
    Wed, Jun 8 2022 11:19 AM

Thanks to all of you for your patience and replies!

I have solved my dilemma for now by focussing on single player-rounds for now.

It takes quite some fun out of the game, but better that, than burning loads of "real" money in investing for a pc-game you can't master without spreadsheets and other helpful formulas.

At least, I do not have to compete against champs who score 55 on a par 72, which is just out of my personal scope and skillset. I am a "feel putter" and cannot compete.

And yes, inconsistencies are an issue. Just chipped out of a 2nd cut rough - distance 25 yards, planned 32 bc of 2nd cut and rolled a total of 37 uphill. Just weird.

Obviously, with these limitations, I am playing far less than I used to, but 1-2 rounds a day still are fun.

• countryman1010
    2 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2022 2:19 PM

Why are some of the players i play against gets a 4 to 6 foot givmmee and it want even give me any givmees except those under 2 foot from the holes.

• countryman1010
    2 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2022 2:31 PM

When i makes somE drives off the tees it says i made an exxcellent shot but instead of landing on the fairways it land in the water hazards or deep bunkers, Why is that possible when it says you made a perfect shot?

• pmm711
    5,514 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2022 6:56 PM

countryman1010:

Why are some of the players i play against gets a 4 to 6 foot givmmee and it want even give me any givmees except those under 2 foot from the holes.

gimmes are based off of a player's tier.  They must be "Hack" or "Pro" tiers to be getting those really far gimmes..but you're a "Pro" so you must get a pretty lenient gimme too.

countryman1010:

When i makes somE drives off the tees it says i made an excellent shot but instead of landing on the fairways it land in the water hazards or deep bunkers, Why is that possible when it says you made a perfect shot?

You probably "hit the ding" but didn't adjust for the wind or you may not have moved the aimer according to the distance of you driver.  Basically, you can't assume WGT's "given" aimer direction is in any way there to help your first shot (or any shot)...you must validate and adjust it as necessary.  The best way to ensure a good drive in the fairway is to use the camera zoom and place your shot pretty much exactly where you want it, but allow for the wind too, by adjusting the aimer box.

• Duphpherer
    440 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2022 8:18 PM

countryman1010:

When i makes somE drives off the tees it says i made an exxcellent shot but instead of landing on the fairways it land in the water hazards or deep bunkers, Why is that possible when it says you made a perfect shot?

I suspect you hit the "ding". The ideal directional line that most of us try to achieve is rewarded by "EXCELLENT". You will be congratulated for a ding regardless of the path of the ball.

RSS