Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Erin hills #8 approach

Sat, May 21 2022 4:41 AM (3 replies)
  • protrader44
    2 Posts
    Tue, Apr 12 2022 7:29 PM

I can’t seem to get my approaches close on this hole and I’ve got my irons w/ different  backspins fully mapped out. Tail winds go way past and headwinds I’m very short.  Either elevation is wrong, wind is wrong, or I’m just missing something.  Anyone ?

• RickinWaSt
    2,062 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2022 1:49 PM

~> Either elevation is wrong, wind is wrong, or I’m just missing something.

Don't think you are missing anything. Hardest shot to get close is with a tailwind. I'd take a headwind any time!

I'm doing the trial-&-error approach right now ;-). TW at 9mph at 11 o'clock with a distance 216.7. 3i 97% power full back spin aim 1.50 grids right. Ended up right 18.7/+0.9. Good birdie putt from this side of the pin.

My Overall 2¢: Need to bring the ball in with a high trajectory. The iron set one has and ball will dictate the shot available. There is the rise at the back of the left half of the green provides a somewhat helpful backstop. Even then, if you get stuck a distance behind the pin you have touchy downhill putt. Another option would be hit into the bunker?

• Cicero733
    2,292 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2022 8:24 PM

Just two thoughts.

I don’t have my notes in front of me but I believe my first note to myself is “this hole traditionally plays 4 yds long”.

Secondly, I find the Callie 3 iron in certain circumstances (especially tailwinds) will play 6 yds long. So many times in my shot calculations I will take an additional 6 yds off. It doesn’t happen all the time but EH #1 and #8 are two holes where this routinely occurs.

• Sevvy53
    65 Posts
    Sat, May 21 2022 4:41 AM

If it is of any any help, here is my Note for this Hole. Championship Tee in a strong Headwind:

WIND 12-14 mph Headwind 12 O'clk

100% Drv (L96 CAL) -55% BS aimed Mid FW 300 yds  = 285/215

215 yd Approach to 9 ft elevated PIn

100% 3H (L63 Adams Tight Lie ) = 208(5) 213 yds ♥☻ leaves 9.5 ft putt

GREEN

Green slopes from Back to Front and Right to Left across pin

RSS