Forums

Help › Forums

Re: BPB and 7 - 9 mph Winds

Wed, Mar 30 2022 2:05 PM (5 replies)
  • Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Tue, Mar 29 2022 3:13 PM

Been hit with a dilemma for awhile now for which I have been unable to effect a solution. Happens primarily at BPB, but I’ve had it crop up a few other places. For whatever reason, 7 - 9 mph winds are way, way erratic. Examples, BPB #15, 131 yds to the pin, 7 - 9 mph wind in the 08:30 position. I allow 8 yds to the right for the wind. Hit, ding the shot, no heartbeat, ball lands 8 yds to the left of the pin (wind moves ball twice as far as normal). BPB #10, 195 yds to the pin, 7 - 9 mph right to left wind, hit, I allow 12 yds to the right of the pin. Hit, ding the shot, ball lands 9 yds to the right of the pin (no effect from the wind). BPB #18, 109 to the pin, 7 - 9 mph headwind 06:00 position. I allow 4 yds for wind, 8 yds for elevation. Hit, ding the shot, ball lands 5 yds past the pin (wind had no effect). I’ve tried a number of solutions but nothing works. All I know is that when I am confronted with a 7 - 9 mph wind in my approach shot, I can only guess that it will be either be 5 - 8 yds short, long, or off line. And if I correct for it, the correction only exaggerates the effect. Also all shots hit with FBS. Suggestions?

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Tue, Mar 29 2022 5:33 PM

?

• SamSpayed
    4,901 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2022 11:41 AM

Take a look at this post from January, especially what he says about bad wind angle views.

https://www.wgt.com/forums/p/693040/4644518.aspx#4644518

A couple other thoughts:

- Trees might be blocking part of the wind on some holes

- Lower-lofted clubs put less spin on the ball (even with FBS), so the wind might not affect longer shots as much.

Just some things to consider.

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2022 1:08 PM

Thanks Scott. Yes I factor, as best I can, these points into my shot setup, but these shots in this particular wind for some unknown reason just don’t like me. Funny thing, make the wind 5 - 7 mph or 9 - 11 mph and this stuff just doesn’t happen; wind effect is as expected. Yesterday on hole # 14 I had a 7 - 9 mph headwind. I factored in 10/11 yds additional for the wind and for the ballooning effect. Shot was about 10 yds short of the pin, barely on the green. If anything I expected to be a little long. I’m beginning to think this anomaly is just some kind of effect associated with playing a ranked round at BPB - randomized winds maybe.

Your observation about lower lofted clubs and wind is interesting. I find just the opposite on some shots. Always figured the ball is in the air longer giving the wind more time to affect it. OLY #1 is a classic for me. If I’m hitting a 3 or 4 iron into the green and have a crosswind, I generally have to add an additional 5 yds to my wind offset. Conversely, I find the opposite on #2 at CONGO, especially with the left pin and a left to right crosswind. There the ball acts as you note and the offset is not nearly as much. I reason the trees block the wind plus I guess the elevation in the shot is also contributing to retarding the wind effect.

I’m going to go thru the wind and camera angles thread you referenced again. I read it before, but maybe I missed something.

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2022 1:16 PM

SamSpayed:
    Just some things to consider.

I thought about that thread too but check out his scores- He is shooting 26s regularly on BPB. I'm not sure I would change anything...lol

• SamSpayed
    4,901 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2022 2:05 PM

PureGro1:
    I thought about that thread too but check out his scores- He is shooting 26s regularly on BPB. I'm not sure I would change anything...lol

True, but if he can bring those 26's down to a 24, HamdenPro will make him a cartoon 😁

RSS