Forums

Help › Forums

Shot Distance Help

rated by 0 users
Mon, Feb 21 2022 1:39 PM (3 replies)
  • Bergerman440
    9 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2022 8:31 PM

Hi WGT members. I need some help. It seems stupid to ask this but it’s frustrating me. So imagine this senecio. Hole distance on hole says 174 yards. Computer offers 190 yard shot. So I hit full 190 and ball travels 135 yards. WTF. And it’s on most shots. I play at least 10-15 yards over and end up 15 yards short. What am I doing wrong? Not using standard clubs. I use Taylor made T790 clubs. Taylor made SIM 2 driver. Thanks for all the help or criticism. 

• keidan
    311 Posts
    Sun, Feb 20 2022 5:41 PM

Hello,

Not enough info to comment on your scenario(s), but here are some things to think about:

"174 yds" - course? hole? surface? elevation?, wind?

"full 190" - club? spin? ding offset? these can seriously affect distances and repeatability.

"most shots" - need more definition here, particularly with starter balls, e.g. most "dinged" shots? most long approach shots? drives? 90 out of 100 shots?

"10-15 yards over...15yds short" - again, distance is not very meaningful w/o considering all of the above. If you calculated 30 yds over, would that solve your problem?

Go into practice mode and use mulligans to gather some stats on your shots.  Choose a course like Bethpage Black: 1st couple holes in back 9 have good driving fairways with a long and short approach. Repeat drives/approaches 10-20 times. Consider dings/near dings as most significant.

Expect more variation with starter balls, even if you use higher end clubs. There are lots of good forum suggestions if you decide to move away from them.

"Computer offers..." I would ignore computer suggestions.

Even with the best equipment you will occasionally get WTF shots, so if you get 5-10 consistent shots and get one that's say 20-30 yds off (all else being about the same), just chalk it up as a flyer and ignore it.

Good luck!

• phipster
    4,426 Posts
    Mon, Feb 21 2022 9:01 AM

Here is my tuppence worth...

First of all lose your hybrid and gain an extra wedge. Your three iron plays further than your starter hybrid so it is a waste of space in your virtual golf bag.

Second buy some decent wedges - I suggest the three MAX level 50'ish wedges or if you are feeling flush the three level 90'ish MAX wedges. I guarantee that they will make the single biggest difference to your scoring as you will then be able to get up and down in two more times than not from within 100 yards.

Third spend a little bit of cash on some WGT balls like the G!2-S or the G12-D balls as you will find that they are way more consistent for distance than the WGT starter balls as well as being more forgiving with the slower meter speed.

Fourth do as the poster above says - go into Game Mode/Single Player/Stroke Play/Bethpage/Back 9/Practice and play the 10th hole. Drive off and keep taking mulligans until you work out your consistent average drive distance when you hit or are close to the ding and then do the same on the long second shot. Do the same on the 11th hole with a shorter second shot and play the rest of the nine keeping a note of your shot distances compared to the WGT suggested shot yardage. The wind strength and direction and landing place elevation can easily make a club difference up or down just as in real life...

PS - I have put my money where my mouth is and gifted you a sleeve of each of the G12-S and G12-D balls so your practice session will cost you nothing...

Good Luck!

• rkearns469
    25 Posts
    Mon, Feb 21 2022 1:39 PM

good advice and I am certain an appreciated gift. Thanks for your wonderful spirit.

RSS