Forums

Help › Forums

Re: A Few Putting Questions

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jan 13 2022 12:04 PM (4 replies)
  • Robbo81303
    409 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 9:43 AM

If anyone can help me figure out these issues, the help would be much appreciated:

1)  If the putting grid shows absolutely no dot movement from all viewing angles, how does one know if the putt will break and, if so, what direction?

2)  On a 40 ft putt where break is indicated only for the first ten feet of travel, how is it that I achieve a putt with a perfect, unvarying arc throughout the entire distance of the putt?  Is this what's meant by 'putter balance'?  As this occurrance is now the rule rather than the exception for me, I'd really like to understand.

3)  Does anyone know why, when off-ding putting, the maximum angle of deflection is utterly dependent on, of all things, the distance of the putt?????  On a 2 foot putt, i can easily delect the putt 60 degrees from straight ahead off-ding, but on a 10 foot putt the most deflection i can achieve off-ding is maybe 10 degrees.  Why?

4)  Does anyone know why my putt sometimes flies left off the putter face when I miss the ding late, or, conversely, flies right if i miss early??  How does one identify when this will happen?

If anyone can help, thank you!

• PureGro1
    1,654 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 10:43 AM

1. If it shows no break from any angle, you could look to "Green View" but IMO that is a straight putt- hit the right speed and ding it. (There are club variables which may cause you to still miss- but this would be a once in blue moon thing)
    2. well- that is what you want is a straight putt- just needs to hit the hole. Sounds like your over putting the break.
    3. I do not off ding on purpose, I couldn't say why.
    4. probably due to which view your on, Behind pin or behind player. 

• Robbo81303
    409 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 11:12 AM

PureGro1:

1. If it shows no break from any angle, you could look to "Green View" but IMO that is a straight putt- hit the right speed and ding it. (There are club variables which may cause you to still miss- but this would be a once in blue moon thing)
    2. well- that is what you want is a straight putt- just needs to hit the hole. Sounds like your over putting the break.
    3. I do not off ding on purpose, I couldn't say why.
    4. probably due to which view your on, Behind pin or behind player. 

1)  IMO you're correct...and yet, far too often, it still breaks.

2)  Anyone who knows physics knows momentum only affects velocity, not direction.  Hence, the above-mentioned putt should only turn at the break, then continue in a straight line, not the continuous arc that i have been getting.

3)

4) the situation described is objective from all angles, not a subjective viewpoint from a certain angle.  I'm talking about obvious pushes that everyone in the group can see, even if they don't necessarily know how it was struck.

Thanks fror the reply though

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 11:41 AM

Hi Rob, I'll give you my thoughts on some of your questions.

Robbo81303:
    1)  If the putting grid shows absolutely no dot movement from all viewing angles, how does one know if the putt will break and, if so, what direction?

Try clicking the 4-way arrow to change the dots to move up-down rather than left-right.  Often, when you look at the up-down dot movements, you'll see them move at a slight angle, which means your putt will move at a slight angle as well (i.e. it's not really 100% straight).

Robbo81303:
    2)  On a 40 ft putt where break is indicated only for the first ten feet of travel, how is it that I achieve a putt with a perfect, unvarying arc throughout the entire distance of the putt?

When a putt like that breaks early, it will continue on that exit angle (the angle at which it's travelling when the break stops) for the duration of the putt.  It has nothing to do with your putter's Balance rating.

Robbo81303:
    4)  Does anyone know why my putt sometimes flies left off the putter face when I miss the ding late, or, conversely, flies right if i miss early?

I think the quick, sharp breaks right at your feet can be caused by 2 things. 

One is if there was indeed a sharp break in that direction right at your feet.  Those types of breaks are very hard to see sometimes.

The other is if WGT's rendering of your putt travel is not perfect.  Once you click or tap to putt. WGT instantly calculates whether your putt will go in the hole or miss, and they try to display your putt travel as accurately as they can.  But sometimes, they can't display it perfectly, so what they display is just as close an approximation as they can get.  NOTE: I do not know this for a fact, it's just a theory of mine.

Hope this helps.

• sammey1
    679 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 12:04 PM

1. Wind can affect putts too. Could be difference from dead straight to edge or inside edge. 

RSS