rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 24 2022 4:10 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • mbcarp99
    1,078 Posts
    Fri, Jan 14 2022 3:12 PM

ct690911:

mbcarp99:

yep, if they are better than you they must be cheating, if you took all the cheat sheets away i reckon you would be the best player in the world

Nonsense...everyone knows that Henry Kawa is the best player.

yes agree but HK had detailed notes on St Andrews, which was the only course he ever played, so by default he must have been a cheat :)

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Fri, Jan 14 2022 4:44 PM

alosso:
    One co-member of mine has compiled a list of all sprinkler heads' distances to the greens.

LOL Does he have a daily sprinkler operation timetable as well? It'd be much more useful than their distance from the greens. ;)

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Fri, Jan 14 2022 9:20 PM

SimonTheBeetle:
    LOL Does he have a daily sprinkler operation timetable as well? It'd be much more useful than their distance from the greens. ;)
    They operate only in the Summer, when you fancy some cooling... ;)

• jacktrade51
    10,831 Posts
    Sat, Apr 9 2022 7:59 PM

Richie0613:
    What is the percentage of players who use charts and graphs for their shots, instead of using you head and play by the seat of your pants?

Can't speak for WGT players, but for me ...

I have an Excel program that helps me calculate distance and winds on iron and longer wedge shots.  I also use it for drives when I have to go well less than full power (think PB #8).

I will note that the program is an approximation.  On different holes, it has different accuracy and I still have to remember to adjust for each hole.

On full drives, I go by feel.  Biggest priority is getting into the fairway and I am not sweating exact yardage from the hole.  My theory is closer is better.

On putts, I have formulas for distance covering all green speeds.  Some might use a calculator.  After 8 years, I have them memorized.

Both the Excel program for irons and wedges, and the formulas for distance, were given to me by other players (1 now retired from WGT).  I have also shared them in my cc although I cannot say how many are using them.

All of this is legal.

What I cannot do is read breaks.  If someone wants to help me on that, they will be my friend forever.

Tom.

• MojosMojo
    104 Posts
    Sun, Apr 10 2022 9:48 AM

Richie0613:

What is the percentage of players who use charts and graphs for their shots, instead of using you head and play by the seat of your pants?

When I found this game I didn’t know anyone playing it. So the first three years I didn’t speak or chat with anyone. I just played in my free time. Never joined a club, never heard about putter pal or shot pal so I never used it. Many years later I tried them both and that lasted about 10 swings. To much going on in the meter, it felt claustrophobic and I abandoned them.

I have never charted a club or course or ball. In fact, I bought a notebook when they became available on mobile (all I play), and have had it for for a year or two and it is basically empty. 

Everything I do in this game I have done more than a thousand times and that is my only guide. Muscle memory holds the keys to every shot I take.

This may seem like a brag and maybe it is, but as far as I remember, I have never felt or even thought about what another player does to prepare as cheating or even as an advantage for them.

I don’t care what someone else does to enjoy this game. Simply, it is just a game and enjoyment of this game is my only reason for playing it. Whatever it takes for someone to enjoy it is fine with me.

I am very competitive and I suppose I would not enjoy it as much if I felt I couldn’t win. So I assume people who play this game a lot, do whatever it takes in preparation, to assure they feel like they have a chance to win when they play a competitive match.

No harm no foul as far as I am concerned. I just know I couldn’t enjoy this game if I had to put so much time into activities that could help me play better. I guess I just want to play and over time I will figure it out.

Maybe just lazy to some, but I don’t want to work so hard on playing a game. If I felt I could not figure it out enough to be competitive, I just wouldn’t play. I would find another game that held my interest.

I have a close friend and we play the real deal together. I show up 15 minutes early at most. He is at the range for an hour or more before we play. He has a huge routine, it is like watching these pros on the range. He goes through every club in practice and prep and then heads to practice putting green. Then we play and he wins some and I win some.

Long ago I asked him about why he spends so much time preparing. He told me that as much fun as it is to play a competitive round he couldn’t enjoy it as much without the prep. He told me he loves it and the prep is almost as enjoyable as the match. He is a detail guy and the fun is in those details.

We are all made differently and we all have different motivations and we all love this silly little video game.

Good luck and enjoy! 

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Sun, Apr 10 2022 1:54 PM

@MojosMojo;

Your post was very well penned and clearly explained your approach to this game. It mirrors my own approach. I was never a great player, but anything I did learn was from playing over and over. Muscle memory always took priority over charts or graphs. Like you alluded to, far too much work involved...lol

I played almost exclusively for the social aspect. Thousands of games of alt shot on different courses. I got to know the shots quite well, although executing them remained a challenge.

Anyway, thanks for the enjoyable read.

cheers,

ct

• MojosMojo
    104 Posts
    Mon, Apr 11 2022 5:35 AM

ct690911:

@MojosMojo;

Your post was very well penned and clearly explained your approach to this game. It mirrors my own approach. I was never a great player, but anything I did learn was from playing over and over. Muscle memory always took priority over charts or graphs. Like you alluded to, far too much work involved...lol

I played almost exclusively for the social aspect. Thousands of games of alt shot on different courses. I got to know the shots quite well, although executing them remained a challenge.

Anyway, thanks for the enjoyable read.

cheers,

ct

Thanks for the kind words, ct.

• PAGES
RSS