Forums

Help › Forums

Re: What About Physical Golf Sets?

Mon, Jan 24 2022 9:37 PM (8 replies)
  • Yrydys
    38 Posts
    Sat, Jan 8 2022 6:11 AM

Hello WGT Players,

Some of you may be real players, because I'm not. But playing that game makes me want to learn it for real, and I definitely need to go outside.

What would be a good set of clubs for a beginner?

GG

Sebas  

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Sat, Jan 8 2022 5:13 PM

My advice would be to go  to a good local golf shop that has a driving range , and try out a number of different ones . No point in buying really expensive until you know if you can hit the ball . Take lessons with a pro and be guided. It’s a lot more difficult in real life than this game !! Nobody else can advise you , you have to get the feel of a club.

I started playing golf when I was about 11 , my parents never had much money and I had a second hand half set for men , and they were the old style blades . But it’s what I learnt with and when I bought a full set after joining a private club , I never could get on with ladies clubs I always had mans. It’s just what feels right . Well for me it was. 

• Yrydys
    38 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2022 7:32 AM

Well ty Bossbird, good stuff.

The thing is that online, its Callaway this and Callaway that for starters, and Titleist is way too expensive for me, and way to advanced.

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2022 11:59 AM

To be honest you could probably find second hand traded in clubs in a good golf shop , and to start with they would be good enough. In my experience second hand clubs can be found really cheap , but until you know if you are going to take it up seriously , 2nd are good enough.

• KenBTEXAS
    284 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2022 12:53 PM

find a good used set, pawn shops have tons of golf clubs.

Also can check with local country clubs for used sets.

I have 2 sets I'd give you if you were in Texas.

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2022 1:12 PM

Find yourself an accredited professional fitter. There are many of them. Let him take a look at your current technique and ability. He can make a recommendation. Many will perform the service for free as they have affiliations with pro shops and sporting goods store and will receive compensation from them if you buy clubs. I worked with 2 of them when I played and they saved me a bunch of money.

• Yrydys
    38 Posts
    Wed, Jan 12 2022 7:37 AM

I watched some vids on YouTube and the guy was telling the audience that you need to concentrate on Driver, Iron and Putt first, and no need to buy new gears like you told me. Its all about growing up slowly. 

I'm having fun looking around now on Kijiji.

Can't move to Texas, but I appreciate the gesture.

GG 

• GBryant1
    14 Posts
    Wed, Jan 12 2022 8:36 PM

Just about any starter set will do.  Most of these types of clubs are perimeter weighted, oversized, and easier to hit.  You can't shape the ball well, but you can make good contact.  At first contact is all you're worried about so these larger clubs can only help.

I've been playing for years and I kick myself in the butt for not getting lessons early on.  Don't waste your time not getting lessons.  Your enjoyment will be greatly improved as you progress faster.

Youtube is a great resource, but only after you get a few basics down.  Someone can tell you about the press forward approach except you still can't make good contact so . . .

Good Luck

• Yrydys
    38 Posts
    Mon, Jan 24 2022 9:37 PM

I tried to swing with a stupid stick in my living room. It's not natural. First, I will just swing with my stupid stick until it feels good. 

And yes GBryant1, I will take lessons. That's a very good idea. Ty for the tips and terminology. I will try to find an in-door club close to me.

Ty all  

RSS