Forums

Help › Forums

Re: TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER,

Sun, Jan 30 2022 7:24 PM (109 replies)
  • JDGHOST
    6,748 Posts
    Tue, Jan 18 2022 4:15 PM

Vector8000:
    I miss the old format that didnt play like this new format and have all the gadgetry that s available now.

So I have a few points I'd like to express ...

First (To the above quote)  I've never supported the "The Super Mario Bros Golf Turbo Boost button apparel enhancements"   But that being said the ready-go's and "Money" Tourney's your referring to are played without such enhancements...So nothing has changed in those events as well as ALL the WGT Tournaments.. The clown equipment really is for coin rooms and CAN be used in regular Stroke play & Skins Games (side note: it is supposed to be available in Match play as well but there is a running glitch that even if apparel is on it doesn't work) But that's neither here nor there. You have the option in those formats when setting up game to "click" apparel OFF or if you join a game where the host has the "Boost's" on you can simply not join said Game.

Second.. Illegal or "Cheat" programs aside ..There simply ARE Players that Good!!

The use of calculator's, wind gauges, compasses ,weather veins , protractors, slide rules, advanced trigonometry & calculus  and the occasional telescope...

Or the rare Abacus Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

(I've seen a player use one🤣)

All those devices do while playing a round is help speed the process of a the top players figuring out their self created playing formulas (well maybe some shop lifted other's formulas) Point being if your willing to put in the time effort and tremendous amount of work and practice ..mathematically this is a game that CAN be beat!! (Well if you consider shooting 18-20 under par consistently beating the game?)

Then after all of the above ONLY muscle memory will give a player the ability to hit the ding (or their intended mark early or late) at a super high percentage. And that once again comes from a ton of practice!

As for myself I use none of the above I don't even have a basic putting "Formula" I play by "feel" and memory for each hole...BUT that's why I will most likely be lost in WGT "Pretty Good" player mediocrity till I'm 6 feet under...I can occasionally come out of the box and shoot a super low round but like I said only occasionally...

Wouldn't it be interesting if WGT ran some of the BIG Events IE: The live series, The E-Tour or God Forbid "The US Open with 30 or 45 second shot clocks ESPECIALLY for the qualifying round! (Or at least single play qualifying rounds) I wonder how many "Robot's" would be hamstringed by that bold move?

Wow now that I'd love to see but I imagine to many feathers would be ruffled!! 

JD

• JDGHOST
    6,748 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2022 12:23 PM

l

• PureGro1
    1,654 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2022 9:40 AM

JDGHOST:
    Wouldn't it be interesting if WGT ran some of the BIG Events IE: The live series, The E-Tour or God Forbid "The US Open with 30 or 45 second shot clocks ESPECIALLY for the qualifying round! (Or at least single play qualifying rounds) I wonder how many "Robot's" would be hamstringed by that bold move?

I think it would be awful, Who would want to watch a good player be hamstrung this way? Just to see them make a mistake? I also bet they would still beat the majority of us.

I played with a guy for a couple years, he would insinuate that if we were on a 30sec timer and high winds/slow greens he would beat me. When we finally did that and he lost- it became about the balls I was using- "If I was willing to buy those balls, I would score better too" so I bought him a sleeve of balls...He always thought if I could be hamstrung enough to make a few mistakes he could win. I would have loved to help him become better but he was more about looking at excuses for why he wasn't better.

JDGHOST:
    As for myself I use none of the above I don't even have a basic putting "Formula" I play by "feel" and memory for each hole

That is a putting formula, it started somewhere with a number and you have worked to perfect that formula whether you call it that or not.

JDGHOST:
    There simply ARE Players that Good!!

Agree 100% 

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2022 9:50 AM

⬆︎ Spot on. 

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2022 10:11 AM

PureGro1:

JDGHOST:

I think it would be awful, Who would want to watch a good player be hamstrung this way? Just to see them make a mistake? I also bet they would still beat the majority of us.

I played with a guy for a couple years, he would insinuate that if we were on a 30sec timer and high winds/slow greens he would beat me. When we finally did that and he lost- it became about the balls I was using- "If I was willing to buy those balls, I would score better too" so I bought him a sleeve of balls...He always thought if I could be hamstrung enough to make a few mistakes he could win. I would have loved to help him become better but he was more about looking at excuses for why he wasn't better.

JDGHOST:
    As for myself I use none of the above I don't even have a basic putting "Formula" I play by "feel" and memory for each hole

That is a putting formula, it started somewhere with a number and you have worked to perfect that formula whether you call it that or not.

JDGHOST:
    There simply ARE Players that Good!!

Agree 100% 

+1

It's early in the year, but I'm giving this a nomination for reply of the year. 🏆

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2022 11:38 AM

BPeterson8256:
    It's early in the year, but I'm giving this a nomination for reply of the year. 🏆

It's definitely the leader in the clubhouse. 

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2022 11:59 AM

Robert1893:

BPeterson8256:

It's definitely the leader in the clubhouse. 

If I had known there was a category for this, I would have tried harder with my responses. My off-putting one liners don't carry the weight they used to...lol

ct

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2022 1:27 PM

JDGHOST:

As for myself I use none of the above I don't even have a basic putting "Formula" I play by "feel" and memory for each hole...BUT that's why I will most likely be lost in WGT "Pretty Good" player mediocrity till I'm 6 feet under...I can occasionally come out of the box and shoot a super low round but like I said only occasionally...

Wow now that I'd love to see but I imagine to many feathers would be ruffled!! 

+1

and maybe it's time to bring back uel.

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2022 2:19 PM

JDGHOST:
    Wouldn't it be interesting if WGT ran some of the BIG Events IE: The live series, The E-Tour or God Forbid "The US Open with 30 or 45 second shot clocks ESPECIALLY for the qualifying round! (Or at least single play qualifying rounds)

I agree with Single Play qualifying rounds.  It's amazing how many times the top players (and others, I'm sure) quit-and-restart their qualifying rounds a billion times if they don't get a favorable wind on the 1st hole or they don't start at least -3 for the first 3 holes.  It would be nice to see some fresh faces competing in the live broadcasts.

The live events should be pairings with a 60 or 90 sec timer.  I think 30 or 45 seconds is a little too fast, but they need to do something to move the games along.  Watching some so-called top players spend 5 minutes lining up a 12-foot putt is boring as hell.  

• gonfission
    2,227 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2022 2:31 PM

There's a 5-minute clock? Really?

Fixed it

RSS