Forums

Help › Forums

Re: 45 sec time clock on coin games

Tue, Feb 1 2022 6:51 AM (86 replies)
  • jacktrade51
    10,899 Posts
    Sat, Jan 8 2022 5:26 PM

BPeterson8256:
    On another note... The OP asked a simple question, and the answer is, "not that we are aware of". For now, the clock is 45 seconds. I see no reason to be upset at rules, whatever they may be. If you don't like the rules of the game, play a different game. It's not that complicated, and it is definitely not worth being a jerk to another player about. 

I totally agree.  If we don't like the game, don't play.  I didn't sound or act upset.

All I said was I would prefer 60 seconds.

And I do play many more 1 hole games than 3 hole games because it reduces odds I tim out.

Tom.

• WolfApel
    3,204 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 8:39 PM

We don't really have the choice to play another game if we want to improve our apparel. So, we are forced into playing these 45 second games.

I can do it, even though I'm on the older side, but I don't enjoy it. I much prefer figuring out all the nuances of a shot rather than just "guessing" and swinging away.

I don't use a calculator or any spreadsheets. I do it in my head. But it's not fun for me being rushed. What's the point of playing a game if it isn't fun?

I force myself to play coin games with a sponsor once a day so that I can improve my apparel and not be at a disadvantage when playing with better dressed players.

Sure, I could restrict myself to non-apparel tournaments, but I find that playing with friends is the most fun for me so I do it a lot. Most of my friends enjoy the apparel bonuses, as do I, so that puts us in this position; having to play the 45 second games while wishing we had 60 seconds.

Another option would be to forgo the coin games and just buy the apparel boxes from the pro shop. But I wouldn't find paying 700 for a platinum box, when you don't even know in advance if you're going to get any points toward something you're  actually using, to be be any more fun than the coin games. Especially when we're already paying such exorbitant prices for "virtual" clubs and balls which have no real manufacturing costs.

Saying 45 seconds is plenty of time and no one has any right to another opinion is like the guy with a high 6 figure salary asking why we eat at McDonald's when steak, lobster and sushi are so much better, or the guy in a gas guzzling muscle car putting down the economical 4 banger for being slow. We're all individuals in different situations and everyone's entitled to their opinion.

SHF

Wolf

• Richie0613
    35 Posts
    Mon, Jan 17 2022 3:56 PM

35 second clock so players have less time for cheat sheets on their computer. I’ve seen players take 45 seconds for a 2 foot putt, ridiculous. This is not real golf.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Jan 18 2022 9:14 AM

WolfApel:
    Saying 45 seconds is plenty of time and no one has any right to another opinion is like the guy with a high 6 figure salary asking why we eat at McDonald's when steak, lobster and sushi are so much better, or the guy in a gas guzzling muscle car putting down the economical 4 banger for being slow. We're all individuals in different situations and everyone's entitled to their opinion.

bad analogy.

Little slow on the math makes you feel rushed. i understand it happens.

the solution is to use a calculator to speed things up.  

yet you refuse to use the calculator.

You have a solution. And it's your choice not to do it. So then the game must change to accommodate you?

it's just really bad logic. 

also see above for my other tips. start the math before it's your shot if you need more time.

• Cameron122010
    23 Posts
    Tue, Jan 18 2022 10:03 AM

Sometimes I take 45 seconds , sometimes not. Sometimes if I mess up the  calculation , I have to start over and will time out. I make zero apologies  for that. It’s allowed, it’s been built into the game. If that makes you mad , don’t play. Simple as that. 

• WolfApel
    3,204 Posts
    Tue, Jan 18 2022 11:07 AM

A calculator wouldn't help as I can do the calculations in my head faster than I can punch the numbers into a calculator. It's more the sheer number of things to take into consideration for some shots. Distance, elevation, wind, wind angle, slope of the green, fairway, rough, sand, club selection, amount of backspin. I can do it. I rarely time out. But, as I said, it's not fun and I would never play another coin game if I could avoid them, but then, there's that apparel thing. There's no other way to improve your apparel other than to spend a ton of money and therefore buying your way into a better game. I don't want to do that either.

I don't think things will change. I'm just voicing my opinion on how I think things could be better. What I don't understand is why some people object to my even doing that.

Regardless, I'm still having fun playing the game with my friends, and that's the main thing.

Wolf

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Jan 18 2022 11:39 AM

Mythanatos:

WolfApel:

bad analogy.

Lol, you're just saying that as he didn't put a 10-13yo relation in there ;-)

Mythanatos:

Little slow on the math makes you feel rushed. i understand it happens.

the solution is to use a calculator to speed things up.  

yet you refuse to use the calculator. 

I don't use a calculator and it wouldn't make my calculations quicker if I did.  For us that do "maybe 10 off for the wind, 3 on for the elevation and another 2 on as it would be bad to be short here" sort of thing it's probably quickest to do that mentally. Similarly "take off a quarter for green speed then a bit more (especially on longer putts)"  sort of stuff.  It may not be accurate but it's as quick as it can be and it's fun.

Anyway he didn't  "refuse" to use a calculator he just said he doesn't

I think I'd like a 30sec clock most but I also think the options could be there.  For the limiting choice factor there could be buttons for 30, 45 and 60 and you could click as many as you wanted..

Mythanatos:

You have a solution. And it's your choice not to do it. So then the game must change to accommodate you?

it's just really bad logic. 

Could the same not be said for everyone that expresses an opinion on this?  Play faster, be more patient a bit of both.

• ChrisDeGarmo
    23 Posts
    Tue, Jan 25 2022 8:14 PM

The glaring omission from discussions about timers is how you're reset back to defaults if you do in fact time out. Easily 80% or more of the times I've timed out were mid-swing. Your opponent is miffed but now you have to re-line up everything all over again, re-select the club, spin - you know, all the things that caused you to time out to begin with. It goes slightly faster the second time, but yeah... I have never understood why you don't just get the warning and a timer reset, and leave your selection(s) up to that point alone.

• Bobbylanka
    893 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2022 11:15 AM

I personally will not play 45 sec coin games as I require longer, the only reason I see for 45 sec is as a penalty for slower players to give away coins. I have stopped coin games now and have over 500k of coins! 

60 and 90 sec games would encourage greater participation and the faster players can chose or not to join a slower game!

RSS