Re: An "I am serious" forum

rated by 0 users
Wed, Dec 22 2021 10:41 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2021 7:28 AM

bossbird:
    My humour and your humour even if the same nationality , probably will not be the same humour. 

I have made post that I believe are humorous, while making a point, that is fine in any language. Other times, I have made post that, although have some humor injected, are directed at a particular individual to make a point and, in such cases, are funny to some but certainly not to the individual I am actually addressing. 

bossbird:
    my opinion is we need to be relaxed and kind natured , respectful and helpful, non belittling  and not bullying

Totally agree. Kind natured, respect, non-belittling....When the poster consistently, and continuously, disrespects and belittle people based on their nationality, or gender, it is not funny, no matter what language. At some point, enough is enough.

The problem is that eventually threads go beyond the original subject and become personal and mean or just off-topic.

I am not complaining that threads are hijacked or go astray, I am as guilty as anyone else in such acts. Hence, the need for a "serious" area free from that. In the "serious" forum, I would not reply unless I could thoughtfully contribute.

Alosso

" What any OP does, he puts a thought and/or a question out in the world-wide open, and it becomes subject to any weather and any mood above the threshold of the "post" button."

Dodgy:

"The forum is intended for getting/giving information but we're all here on a game site to have fun."

Agreed with both of you. That is why I made the suggestion which is the subject of this thread. That is why I believe there should be an area in the forum for serious questions only. A place where an OP can make an inquiry without fear of ridicule or backlash.

Everyone has made valid points which also proves the point that there can be a "serious" thread where an honest question is met with honest replies - as, so far, this is what is going on here in this thread.

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2021 7:33 AM

bossbird:
    my opinion is we need to be relaxed and kind natured , respectful and helpful, non belittling  and not bullying , before we are anything else. 

This is the best thing I've read in the Forums in a long time.  I'm adding it to my New Years Resolutions list 🥂🍾

• IamNicklaus
    494 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2021 8:01 AM

Agree with all of the above , with the proviso that people don't use  the  " bullying " aspect , to describe someone simply disagreeing with their point of  view .  We all know exactly what I mean , i'm sure .

• PureGro1
    1,655 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2021 8:47 AM

SamSpayed:

bossbird:
    my opinion is we need to be relaxed and kind natured , respectful and helpful, non belittling  and not bullying , before we are anything else. 

This is the best thing I've read in the Forums in a long time.  I'm adding to my New Years Resolutions list 🥂🍾

Agree, BUT (There is always a BUT) You can do all that and still have people feel you are doing those things and this is what most of us have to come to terms with. 

If someone does not know you, your style, your humor etc- they read your posting different than it is intended.

I recently lost someone from my friends list that I have known since starting WGT, It was I believe a result of a reply to him here in these forums. It bothers me that he took something I said to be helpful and with an open heart in such a way....

My point I guess is you cant control how someone else may take what you write even though your being relaxed and kind natured , respectful and helpful, non belittling  and not bullying.

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2021 10:41 AM

It seems to me that everyone who has posted in this thread is contributing in a serious, considerate and thoughtful manner.

You all have done a superb job of setting the example of what was intended (the purpose of this particular thread).

We have here created a serious conversation free from any rebuke, criticism and sarcasm.

Obviously, there is no place like a thread like this in the general forums or "everything else".

So, back to the OP.... should we not have an area within the forum designated specifically for threads like this, "SERIOUS QUESTIONS"?

As far as who determines what is serious or not, I think everyone knows the answer. Like anything else in these forums, we are self-moderated and so far, we have proven it can work.

Thank you all for your contributions both to this thread, and the many others I have read where you have all posted thoughtful and helpful replies to serious questions (until the thread got hijacked).

• PAGES
RSS