Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Degree's of wind

Wed, Jan 19 2022 10:48 AM (61 replies)
  • Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Fri, Dec 3 2021 11:38 PM

Nope...they are just the minutes on the clock.

• carlosdev
    2,528 Posts
    Fri, Dec 3 2021 11:46 PM

But to all new players who do not know and want to win real money, gotta start playing without these small helps.

because when it comes to real money games, these are not allowed at all, in-fact banned :) :) 

• colzy66
    13 Posts
    Sat, Dec 4 2021 12:34 AM

Hi Scott,

Looks great, one question I have is would the percentages be 86% at say 5 past the hour and 96%  at 2.5

Just trying to get my head around all the figures in the clock face.

Thanks 

Colin

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Sat, Dec 4 2021 7:19 AM

carlosdev:
    because when it comes to real money games, these are not allowed at all, in-fact banned :) :) 

You mean using as they are discussing, IE: On the screen? Or banned like I cant look at a wind chart, is that during the match or I am banned from ever seeing them? lol

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sun, Dec 5 2021 1:05 PM

colzy66:
    Hi Scott,  Looks great, one question I have is would the percentages be 86% at say 5 past the hour and 96%  at 2.5  Just trying to get my head around all the figures in the clock face.  Thanks  Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks. I won't pretend to understand sine language, lol, because I don't. But if the figures in previous posts are correct then I would say your assumptions are also correct.

If you are just getting the numbers to put in a spreadsheet then I'll leave it there, but if you wanted the image too, then I can modify it if you want something different? Just ask.

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Sun, Dec 5 2021 1:13 PM

Question for Hamdenpro -

Do you also factor in the drag coefficient and if so do you incorporate it into the calculation method you shared or do you use a totally different equation? Would also be interested in knowing if, when determining wind direction, do you use true north or magnetic north and if magnetic north can you share your declination diagram? Would be a big help. 

Merci

Cicero733

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Dec 5 2021 1:47 PM

Cicero733:
    Question for Hamdenpro

As for drag coefficient, it really depends on two things:

1) the type of ball being used as, I am sure you are aware, the number, and size of the dimples, as well as the density and materials used will all affect trajectory and velocity.  Putting all that aside, The drag coefficient (Cd) is equal to the drag (D) divided by the quantity: density r times half the velocity V squared times the reference area A.  Keep in mind, choice of the reference area will affect CD or drag coefficient; and more importantly.

2. Depends on whether my brother is wearing my dresses again.

As for your second question, I do use magnetic north since I am using a standard compass and not a GPS or digital unit. There is no need to share "my" declination equation. Since: a) I do not have one; and b) It would not help you as magnetic declination changes over time and with location.

As I am under constant moderation, any declination I state now will have changed by the time this reply gets through moderation.

My suggestion would be to view Mr. Hope's website links. I am sure he has prepared the most up to date maps of each course. On the bottom right of each map should be a key which will state the declination for that area.

Vous e'tes tout a' fait le bienvenu.

EDIT: Now that my reply has posted, I can affirmatively state that, as of 10:23 EST in the Northeast of the USA, at the exact place I am presently standing, which is next to my brother, who looks wonderful in my gown, the Magnetic Declination is 15 degrees West. As I am in my back yard, I do not believe this will help you unless you are simply playing through.

• littleboots
    229 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2021 12:46 AM

That is just too funny!  😂

• Cel7
    107 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2021 4:49 AM

Yikes.....doesnt anyone just get up and hit the ball any more??  :)  "Stop thinkin Meat, you're hurtin the team"  

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2021 5:01 AM

Got it. Thanks…

Just one other question. The earth’s magnetic poles periodically shift and are due for a north to south shift. When that occurs will there be a need to modify formulas completely or will we be able to develop a simple equation that will just put everything on it’s head. I’m concerned that after this shift of magnetic poles my tee shot calculations will have me hitting 180° from the direction I am hitting now. 

RSS