Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putting from the fairway

Mon, Apr 18 2022 3:12 AM (7 replies)
  • Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Sat, Nov 6 2021 7:13 PM

Just started trying to putt from the fairway to figure this out. 

So far I can’t find any rhyme or reason between different distances to even have a starting point. Here are two examples from working on it tonight.

1. 20 yards out. 9 yards fairway and 11 yards green. It took a 17 putt scale @ 80% power. Got the heartbeat and stopped a couple inches from the hole.

2. 29 yards out. 11 yards fairway and 18 yards green. It took a 33 putt scale @ 57% power. Didn’t get the heartbeat because the break was off but the distance was on the money.

Hoping someone figured this out?

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2021 1:54 AM

Hmm - putting scales are in feet, aren't they? If you translated that to feet, I don't get how a 14 yds shot would go 20 yds, or a 21 yds shot would cover 29 yds? Downhill a very slick green?

Anyway, my take on putting from the fairway is, DON'T. Even from the fringe, it's difficult to judge, I often prefer a flop.

My Waterloo was BPB #13, where on the front right of the green, there is fringe followed by fairway, then fringe again on the way to the green. All the putts got stuck there!

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2021 8:02 AM
    I was practicing it on BPB #4. I believe the putter scale is in yards on the fairway and once on the fringe the scale is in feet. Def not trying to add this to my arsenal. More of a parlor trick. It would be fun to get it nailed down and used to shock someone on rare occasions. Lol
  • alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2021 8:58 AM

Edit:

I messed around on BPB 13. The spot should be between the front right bunker and the green.

On the fairway, the scale changes to yds, as you said. Also, putting force is mysteriously a lot bigger than the scale, supporting your observations. A 21 ft (uphill?) putt from the green with 16ish power went far past the hole.

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Sat, Apr 2 2022 3:03 AM

It's been 5 months since I asked the question on here and other places. Seems no one has ever tried to learn this technique.

At any rate, here you go.

Putting from 25/30 rough

https://youtu.be/FgjWwAsRXPA

• Yiannis1970
    3,261 Posts
    Sat, Apr 2 2022 4:37 AM

Tony08888:

Just started trying to putt from the fairway to figure this out. 

So far I can’t find any rhyme or reason between different distances to even have a starting point. Here are two examples from working on it tonight.

1. 20 yards out. 9 yards fairway and 11 yards green. It took a 17 putt scale @ 80% power. Got the heartbeat and stopped a couple inches from the hole.

2. 29 yards out. 11 yards fairway and 18 yards green. It took a 33 putt scale @ 57% power. Didn’t get the heartbeat because the break was off but the distance was on the money.

Hoping someone figured this out?

What i would have done if i wanted to putt from the fairway:

I would ''split'' the putt in 2 parts.

Let's say you have a 23 yds putt: 18 yds of fairway + 5 yds of green. Very very important is to consider the elevation if any. So, i would have played the putt just to reach the green. This would be my guide to understand how much i need to reach the green.

Then i would have repeated the exercise from various distances with the same goal (just to reach the green) to figure out if there's a pattern behind my strokes. (probably will be)

Then, i would have added the yardage for a normal putt (inside the green).

Another important point is that if you eventually come up with some kind of formula, this will work only on this specific course. You need to do it all over again for every other course.

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Sat, Apr 2 2022 5:25 AM
    In the video that is very close to how I approached this putt. It was 6 yards with 10” down. It said it was in 25/30 rough. If it was, the ball was just touching a blade of grass because it looked like fairway to me. So I played it as if it was on the fairway. I took the 6 yard putter down to 75% to account for the elevation drop. I think the speed was a bit too much and if it would not have sank it would have probably been all the way down the hill since it was 13 greens. Glad I happened to be recording!
  • larson122
    4 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2022 3:12 AM

Thankyou so much for sharing the video

RSS