Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Are players like me really ruining the game?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 16 2021 6:58 PM (7 replies)
  • Harroldbuckshot1
    1 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2021 8:45 PM

Hi all, my first post in here though I do read quite a lot of articles in the forums. Any response to my question would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve been playing the game quite a few years and always enjoyed it using pretty basic equipment and not taking it seriously. I’ve never given abuse to anyone I simply ignored or forfeited the head to head game. I’ve always made the usual good luck comments at the start of a game, I know some players have the chat turned off so if they don’t reply back that’s fine by me. Recently even though I don’t play many ranked rounds I was upped to master which is nice after years as a tour pro. Come the lockdown I thought I’d improve my equipment and balls. With some tips from other better players my games improved a lot. I only play the 9 hole 4500 coin room or against my friend. Yesterday I played a Legend at St Anrwes with an 18~20  ph wind. I dove one of the par 4s and made eagle. I think the huy bogeyed. On the next hole with a tail wind I drove 350 yards. The guy made the comment “ players like you are ruining the game”

What are your opinions on what constitutes a master level player ruining the game? I’m no snowflake but if it’s true then I need to change something. Thank you all.

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2021 11:31 AM

Interesting first post...IMHO, you played against a poor sport is all. Seems to me that you have the right attitude for this game...not to take it too seriously. 

cheers,

ct

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2021 12:18 PM

The guy was implying that you were cheating.  What was really happening is he was jealous, frustrated and pissed by the fact that you, a lower-tiered player was kicking his a$$.

You've done nothing wrong. Just ignore and keep on playing like you own it. Good job and cheers!

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2021 1:55 PM

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep improving.

Head to head games are a competition. the best will rise to the top. the worst will stay in the lower level coin rooms forever.

• Cicero733
    2,291 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2021 3:03 PM

You play, you strive to do your best. Sometimes your best even surprises you. That’s how the game plays. The whole idea, besides playing a round of golf, is to improve your playing skills and in so doing lower your scores. That’s what you’re doing and that’s what you should continue to do. There is nothing wrong with your approach nor are you doing anything to ruin the game.

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2021 5:17 PM

Harroldbuckshot1:

Yesterday I played a Legend at St Anrwes with an 18~20  ph wind. I dove one of the par 4s and made eagle. I think the huy bogeyed. On the next hole with a tail wind I drove 350 yards. The guy made the comment “ players like you are ruining the game”

What are your opinions on what constitutes a master level player ruining the game?

He might be upset because you're using a driver rated for 282 yds from the forward (Master) tees and outhitting him off the tee by quite a ways.  But there's nothing wrong with that.  That's just the way WGT designed the game.  IMHO you should use every advantage you have, while you can.  At some point you'll probably earn a promotion to Legend too, and that forward-tee advantage will go away.

Like others have said, just sour grapes on his part.  You're not doing anything wrong.  In fact, you sound like a pretty courteous player.

• BOZskills
    387 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2021 5:28 PM

Personally it seems to me you're just the opposite of what your opponent said. Keep up the good work.

• ChimpPlaysGolf
    3 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2021 6:58 PM

You did nothing wrong except for letting his words make you question yourself.. happy golfing 👍

RSS