911 Posts
    Thu, Jul 22 2021 3:20 PM

• JSmithers
    1,263 Posts
    Mon, Jul 26 2021 1:31 PM

wedge0837:

FriedToast:

I haven’t spent a dime on this game and still manage to average 65

Funny. I guess those Srixon balls are free too that you use? 

srixon balls obviously are paid for with in game credit.  but most people that play tournaments can afford their balls with the credits they win.  The gentlemen above mentioned you must spend thousands to win or play well.  This is simply not truth..  You must put in the time to learn the game.  

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2021 2:21 PM

JSmithers:

wedge0837:

FriedToast:

I haven’t spent a dime on this game and still manage to average 65

Funny. I guess those Srixon balls are free too that you use? 

srixon balls obviously are paid for with in game credit.  but most people that play tournaments can afford their balls with the credits they win.  The gentlemen above mentioned you must spend thousands to win or play well.  This is simply not truth..  You must put in the time to learn the game.  

What is simply not true is what you are saying.  It makes absolutely no sense that "most people that play tournaments pay for the balls with the credits they win".  Take rg's; wgt take 25% of the entry fee and the really good players take most of the top 10 places. even ignoring that 40 players (80%) are losing.  The really good players generally don't play the 50c and below rg's, which is why I do, but then ball use is a bigger factor in trying to pay for your game by finishing high up.  It's still the case that 80% lose whatever the tournament costs to enter, it's still the case that wgt take 25% of the entry whatever the tournament costs.

The premium tournaments are very very rarely won by anyone that's not one of the top players.  There are some, like you, that can win any number of credits you can be bothered getting but I assume that becomes pointless with nothing to spend them on.  To suggest most that enter tournaments don't spend is ridiculous.

The person with the srixon balls, and other equipment, that supposedly hasn't spent has "earnings" of $45.48 that has been mostly gained (it looks like) from credit brackets and rg's.  He's even entered the non tiered versions of both.  If we were to take all these entry fees away from the $45.48 how many sets of balls, $25 drivers, $18 3 woods, $25 iron setts, $14 wedges etc etc do you think what's left would get him?  Of course he's spent money or earned it for wgt by watching adverts/doing surveys or whatever.

I don't know the percentage on here that don't need to spend some money (or work for it) to compete on a level footing but It's certainly a single figure and I'd guess not one of the higher ones.  I know I'm not one of them and I have "earned" over $6,000 apparently :-/

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2021 5:41 PM

in case a cat fight breaks out, I am actually going to offer some insight - at least based on what I have learned, read or observed over my relatively short time here ( 4 years compared to 10 years spent by others)... regarding RG's, I did look into roi for RG in this thread...  still remains a hard way to earn credits.   

jwick231:
    We who choose to still play it are their income source.

there is little doubt to that...

the top players even feed off those naïve enough to think they can offset years of experience with buying the same clubs and hoping they can compete.

it can get expensive and it can take time to learn the clubs once you obtain them.  fortunately you can offset those costs by watching 2 credit videos - it is easier than trying to win the credits against multi accounts and restarters in the lower tiers.

you seem to be fairly new to the game, so weigh your options carefully.

if you are looking at the game as a competitive venture - then it can be a long and challenging road.  

if you are looking to socialize and enjoy the company of others it can be relaxing and enjoyable, albeit still cost thousands of credits to play depending on the choices you make.  but don't venture into competitive arena spending credits you will never see again, you are throwing them away -- unless you have invested sufficient time and effort to prepare for the challenging conditions and competition you will face.

don't buy into the delusional idea that time alone and learning the game alone will have you winning credits to cover your cost to play without investing either time spent doing 2 credit videos and or money for better clubs that will allow you to compete with others.

it is a select group that never spend any of their own money or click through thousands of 2 credit videos to cover the cost of playing.  they actually want you to enter the tournaments and RG's where they clean up credits so they can continue playing for free. 

beware - you can even "win earnings" while losing credits due to ball use and entry fee.  don't be misled though - you are losing credits even when your earnings go up unless you elevate your game to among some of the better players in the game and choose carefully what events you enter.

my suggestion would be.... load up the starter gear and starter ball - in fact play it for absolutely as long as possible until you actually unlock clubs that are worth the investment of your hard earned credits...

if you can learn to manage playing a ranked round under par with starter clubs and ball off your tees, then chances are you are also capable of learning more how to get the most out of higher end clubs because you are already thinking course management and learning how to putt.

if you take shortcuts (like getting clubs early to make the game easier) and try to buy clubs to cover up for weaknesses that will eventually be revealed in poor course management and poor putting, then it won't be long and you will be frustrated again with the cost of the game.

-- tread carefully, it can be enjoyable but I won't tell you there is not a cost associated with playing either. 

I would wager that 99.99% of the people that play are paying with their money or watching ad videos so others can play for free and the company can pay it's employees.  It is a business and it is not new to the tech industry - virtually any new game or app has built in micro transactions to keep you playing or spending money.

• jwick231
    180 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2021 10:57 AM

Thank you el3n1 for your comments. I understand completely all that you said.

el3n1:
    It is a business and it is not new to the tech industry - virtually any new game or app has built in micro transactions to keep you playing or spending money.

I'm not upset about people making money. I'm upset with the total and irrevocable inconsistencies programmed into the "game" so players will get upset with their play and spend money. I just want to enjoy a game of golf, no matter what sort of equipment I'm using. I have trouble enjoying this "game" because of the wild variances engineered into each stroke, putt, course, hole, etc. I expect to get the same result each time I hit a shot with the same degree of accuracy or inaccuracy (wind, elevation, lie, being close to equal). Nobody likes to see their "perfect" shot veer into a bunker like it was sucked into a black hole. Where's the fun in that? Yes, I've spent a little bit to upgrade my clubs and I saw a big difference in my play. However, I shouldn't have to do that just to keep the programming from sending me into bunker or green-side chipping hell.

All I'm saying is that a good, fun game of golf shouldn't be skewed against the player. Let us have fun with our cheap equipment and crappy balls and don't screw with the shot dynamics so much.

And yes, I'm gonna keep playing because I always want to better myself. I'll try not to *** so much anymore.

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2021 12:21 PM

JSmithers:
    most people that play tournaments can afford their balls with the credits they win.  The gentlemen above mentioned you must spend thousands to win or play well.  This is simply not truth..  You must put in the time to learn the game.  

This is like Roger Federer saying "Anyone can make money playing tennis if you put in the time."

el3n1:
    it is a select group that never spend any of their own money or click through thousands of 2 credit videos to cover the cost of playing.  they actually want you to enter the tournaments and RG's where they clean up credits so they can continue playing for free. 

Very true.  I have seen the WGT elite players refer to us non-elites as "fish" several times here in the Forums and in Discord.

• Tabarnak777
    166 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2021 4:11 PM

I think you can do very well if you get best gears for a certain time and stick with low cost balls(like 150 or less credits per sleeve). Then when you have accumulated enough you just get a better gear as you level up and so on.

I remember paying for some gears when i reached Legend and i just didn't know at that point that i could make free video credits from my pad! A friend of mine told me about it when i reached L60 or something.

The free credits is the real game changer here. If you have reached ultra elite, you have necessary gone through the hard work earning credits era unless you just don't care about spending money on this game.

• nerve60
    285 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2021 3:14 PM

I have good gear but the secret to Consistency in this game is All about the golf ball you play with.  Im one of the few at my Level (103) that uses the Callaway 33 ball 95% of the time. Every ball reacts differently depending on spin and distance and wind. Im comfortable with exactly (within a couple of yards) how far my Cally 33 will travel on any given shot.

I guess my point is find a ball you like and can afford, map out full distances with top spin, no spin and full back spin. Include the Punch %'s for wedges and stick with it!

• PAGES
RSS