Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Wedge shots and Punch

Sat, May 8 2021 2:52 PM (4 replies)
  • Shadowridge85
    8 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2021 2:30 PM

Hello fellow players, 

I am trying to get an answer on some sand and rough problems and I want to say 1st that to any new players like myself, that the Punch option is fun and can really make a difference on a few holes that I have used it from the tee or fairway, although I can only remember Kiaweh , Bandon , Chambers and one of the St. courses, but do not know the hole numbers by heart. Also I have gotten out of rough and even brush 1time but need much practice for that as 2nd try in brush was not done well, lol. Just wanted to say if you are new , to try it before level 40 or whatever (like me) and when not in trouble it can really roll long and sometimes right up close to a pin if you get a feeling of trying it because you have familiarized yourself with it. I will try to share hole #s later!

Here is my question for any players who have a minute.....I can't seem to have any success with sand shots and some rough shots if I am near the green by selecting chip, pitch or flop from the sand with a stronger wedge than my 55yd lob wedge. The lob wedge I can use full strength, but why will my PW not work? And also my flop is terrible so far unless using my 55yd. wedge for the 18yd. flop, from the rough only. Is it that flop is best for a 60 degree wedge or nee more long flop practice (yes) or what? Lastly since I have had the best sand shots with this level 8 Gold wedge, what is going on with the distances? It is the same for 12 yds as 24 and I always have to use about 32 yds full swing , so the 12 yd sand shot is a mess you see. What should my fairway SW degree be? And Thank You in advance for any advice on this problem :)

• phipster
    4,387 Posts
    Sat, May 8 2021 3:57 AM

Can I suggest that you watch the young46 videos on youtube?

SHORT GAME TUTORIAL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6XtnIxJrGw

HITTING OUT OF ROUGH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBDDNqAMRUk

• ichott
    56 Posts
    Sat, May 8 2021 10:59 AM

Good questions, to begin with, at later levels with better clubs and balls your precision and accuracy will improve, but at the moment . . .

1. Don’t try to understand why a certain club will not work in certain conditions, eg LW out of 40/50 rough 😭 , you only need to ‘ know’ that it will not work, which moves us to . . .

2. The answer to knowing what club will do what out of rough/sand/fescue etc is to first keep rough notes (type and location) whilst playing and secondly, go practice. 

3. There are many many tips and charts available within this forum and on YouTube as a good guide and starting point but your confidence is with your own equip and ball and actually doing it yourself and having your own club notes.

e.g. I have found that with my kit out of 60/70 rough nothing will go further, typically, than a full 7i, others may pitch shorter and have more roll but you need to find out which clubs NOT to use and whether you need distance (carry+roll) or just clearance ie carry to get on the fairway.

hope that helps👍

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sat, May 8 2021 1:25 PM

Shadowridge85:
    I can't seem to have any success with sand shots and some rough shots if I am near the green by selecting chip, pitch or flop from the sand with a stronger wedge than my 55yd lob wedge.
    I would prefer full or punch shots from the sand, and consider that low power (less than 50/60%?) doesn't work for any wedge.

Get yourself a quality 64° wedge (?L39 Taylormade?) and consider a 100 yds wedge (?L43 Callaway?) to replace your hybrid.

And, read the tutorials ;)

• Flatearth777
    267 Posts
    Sat, May 8 2021 2:52 PM

I have simple formula for close SAND shots.  +10 for 30/40% lie  +15 for 50%. Test it in real game and let me know. 

Long bunker? it varies. Because of landing spot. its not longer distance but elevation issue. 

long bunker hope u get to green. It means hit as much you can.

Close bunker shot you can do my calculation with eyes closed.

RSS