Forums

Help › Forums

Re: For WORLD CUP....2022.

Thu, Jan 27 2022 8:32 AM (31 replies)
  • Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Wed, May 5 2021 9:53 AM

Hello all folks.

First of all, i would like to thank Finny and Dotty who they keep alive the most important (at least for me) tournament in wgt!!! I respect their time, work and will to give to people a chance to compete for many months in such a great format.

I have a proposition for next year regarding the point system. Instead of having points on wins/draws, we can have scores. This bring the advantage that every hole counts towards the final score and it will give more suspense to the tournament. Right now, if for example a match goes bad for a certain player and the loss is close, he/she won't care if loses the game 4 down or 6 down. It will be just 3 points lost that can be recuperated in the next winning match. However, if we go with scores, every hole counts towards the final score, so players will keep struggling and giving their best cause every hole will count for the final score.

I will make an example:

Let's consider 2 teams that play 8 matches and let's presume that the final score is 6-2. With a current system the score point would be 18-6.

If we are going with scores instead:

1) + 3 (3 up)

2) +1  (1 up)

3) -4   (4 down)

4) -2   (2 down)

5) +1  (1 up)

6) +1   (1 up)

7) +1   (1 up)

8) +2    (2 up)

Makes the score: A team = -3, B team = 0.

This scenario will permit to B team to recuperate in next rounds and will keep A team in toes cause nothing is taken for granted. A bad loss like -6 will give suspense to the next games and everything will be decided on the last hole and on the last ball dropped. After all, is golf that every stroke and every hole counts and not football to give just 3 points for the win.

What do you think folks? Thank you for reading.

:)

• giraldin
    3,712 Posts
    Wed, May 5 2021 10:02 AM

The Spanish philosopher Don Miguel de Unamuno, candidate several times for the Nobel Prize for Literature, is attributed the following sentence:

" RENEWED OR DIE "

Cuando Unamuno rozó el Nobel, pero no lo logró por demasiado "mediterráneo"

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Wed, May 5 2021 10:28 AM

LOL EL LUICID!!!!

• DUFFR99
    571 Posts
    Wed, May 5 2021 10:42 AM

Jeezzz Yianni...the LAST thing we need to do is to start taking changes recommended by a dang LawYer...!!!  HaHaHa

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2021 4:02 AM

My only problem with this proposal is the fact that it severely narrows the chances of smaller CCs, who are less heavily stacked with top players. As things stand now, a CC with 10 to 12 very good players has a choice of either cramming them all in 1 strong team or creating 2 teams, each with very decent chances to be competitive, cause you only need 5 wins in the elimination rounds. With your proposal, this is no longer a choice and would probably lead to less teams participating. Which, in the end, is likely at odds with the idea behind the creation of the WC. 

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2021 6:19 AM

Actually, it works in the exact opposite way Jure. To favor the team which is behind. If a smaller CC with no (many) top players loses the first round 8-0, that means 24-0, which means that they have to win 7 games in a row to recuperate (quite improbable).

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2021 7:41 AM

Yiannis1970:

Actually, it works in the exact opposite way Jure. To favor the team which is behind. If a smaller CC with no (many) top players losses the first round 8-0, that means 24-0, which means that they have to win 7 games in a row to recuperate (quite improbable).

I understood that line of thinking. But my point was that with the current system, a CC with 10 strong players was able to form 2 teams with 5 good players and 4 fish and still have a good chance of winning against a team with a deeper, but not so top heavy roster. With what you're proposing, that's gone, cause those 4 fish would lose by too much and 5 wins wouldn't be enough. It would mean they had to form an A team with all their top 10, while leaving the fish to be devoured in team B. Not sure how much fun they'd have.

Of course, this is a border line example, but if you look at this year's roster, you'll find at least 1 team, that scattered their top players throughout their 1st and 2nd team, probably as an effort to reach the latter stages with both. 

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2021 12:00 PM

What you are saying has nothing to do with the point system but with a general policy of every club how to approach the competition. Secondly, i don't understand the ''fish'' line of argument. Who says that a top player needs or is gonna beat a less good player every time +6, +7 or +9??

I would prefer to stick on the main issue here which is the point system (and how this can become better) instead or arguing about plots and schemes that we can't control and can happen anyway, anywhere and with every system.

• PAULFINN52
    3,171 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2021 2:48 PM

yo yannis

listen me and dots are always open to ideas which can improve the World Cup.

the comp is evolving every year so if it brings more teams/players and more bums on seats watching on the streaming channel then we would have a look.

it sounds complicated but im sure you can simplify it,lets have a chat after the comp finishes where we will have time rather than now as me and dots are really busy ok.

also if anyone else has an idea where they think the comp could improve pm me or dots after the comp has ended ok.

finny

• amateur4sure
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2021 5:20 PM

Have to say that I agree with both of You Guys on a lot of things.

Firstly we do not and never want to negate smaller/lesser teams from this competition, I started in this WC in one of those said CC`s/Teams.

Agreed the point system needs a wee look at, Although Finny and the Guys are doing a Wonderful job without any aid from WGT themselves hmmm

What I would say is Penalize any Team that does not play all their games for whatever reason, 2 Weeks is enough time to get a sit down with the Queen, Let alone organize an hour game!

Going back to what Jure said....... If a Team has/Had already beat their opponents or Qualified for the next round and say Bollox to playing any more games, Penalties should be introduced!

Everybody involved in playing in this great Tournament wants to play the games as best as possible , Joe blogs V Mags/Young/Smiggy Etc etc.. Fekk me if I was Mr Blogs I would thrive on playing these Guys (actually I still do) ..

Playing against the best Team and they are 5 wins up and 3/4 to play, All games need to be played otherwise points deducted etc..

Anyway Wifey is shouting, Bout time to eat and I`m sick of eating My shorts, Gudnite Buggers! 

RSS