Help › Forums

Re: VUSO Torrey Pines Qualifier

Wed, Jun 30 2021 4:35 PM (85 replies)
  • el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, Jun 28 2021 7:26 PM

BPeterson8256:
    Although some have disagreed with my assessment of this course,

Not entirely, there are just other factors that can be considered.

The structure of qualifying is just that, post a score you think will hold up.  Compare that to those who have also played the event on steam where posting a better round to lower your score and maybe win more credits... you see lower scores on steam for some than you see on the main qualifying event... add in people that have left the game, along with a lot of people content with their score and you have not seen players post their best score... sure some have, but i highly doubt that is true for everyone. 

Yes it helps to get good winds on the par 5s, but also if someone gets good heavy tailwinds, which will likely happen, then even the longest par 5s will be reachable in 2.  Even hole 2 may end up being drivable.  But yes, just like every course on wgt, heavy winds and good winds can dictate scoring.  That is why only multi round single play usually balances out one person getting all good winds and another getting fewer looks at eagle. 

Also, the whole new single round playoff that started getting used is a gimmicky ploy that will favor the players who draw better wind conditions... that is not as much skill, or who demonstrated the best play, for the winds they drew.  A 55 can be a better round than a 54 when the 54 is shot while making more mistakes with good winds into par 5s than a 55 that was played getting everything you could out of the round. 

Single round playoff is more about who gets better winds, might as well put their names in a hat and draw names, it is about the same.  

Best of luck to all that advance, and it will take some luck as well.  

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Mon, Jun 28 2021 10:38 PM

el3n1:
    Single round playoff is more about who gets better winds, might as well put their names in a hat and draw names, it is about the same.  

And, as you yourself are well aware, unlimited play is more about infinite restarts whenever a player doesn't get a favorable wind on hole #1 or start -4 or better for the 1st 4 holes. 

Personally, I prefer single play.  No restarts.  Suck it up and take the winds you get.  But WGT is here to make money.  They make more money with unlimited play tournaments.

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2021 5:22 AM

SamSpayed:

el3n1:

And, as you yourself are well aware, unlimited play is more about infinite restarts whenever a player doesn't get a favorable wind on hole #1 or start -4 or better for the 1st 4 holes. 

Personally, I prefer single play.  No restarts.  Suck it up and take the winds you get.  But WGT is here to make money.  They make more money with unlimited play tournaments.

+1

Multi round single play is by far my favorite, and gives the best "real feel" experience in my opinion. Unlimited play has created a "quitters" game atmosphere. Many players give up at their first mistake, not because they're out of it, but because they have never learned to overcome a little adversity. It wouldn't surprise me if we lose over half the field during the VUSO. I'm glad that is not what I see while watching the PGA each week. Seeing players come back and contend after barely making the cut is a lot of fun.

Here's to all those who make the VUSO and play to the end! 🍺🍺

• JDGHOST
    6,748 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2021 8:36 AM

el3n1:

BPeterson8256:
    Although some have disagreed with my assessment of this course,

Not entirely, there are just other factors that can be considered.

The structure of qualifying is just that, post a score you think will hold up.  Compare that to those who have also played the event on steam where posting a better round to lower your score and maybe win more credits... you see lower scores on steam for some than you see on the main qualifying event... add in people that have left the game, along with a lot of people content with their score and you have not seen players post their best score... sure some have, but i highly doubt that is true for everyone. 

Yes it helps to get good winds on the par 5s, but also if someone gets good heavy tailwinds, which will likely happen, then even the longest par 5s will be reachable in 2.  Even hole 2 may end up being drivable.  But yes, just like every course on wgt, heavy winds and good winds can dictate scoring.  That is why only multi round single play usually balances out one person getting all good winds and another getting fewer looks at eagle. 

Also, the whole new single round playoff that started getting used is a gimmicky ploy that will favor the players who draw better wind conditions... that is not as much skill, or who demonstrated the best play, for the winds they drew.  A 55 can be a better round than a 54 when the 54 is shot while making more mistakes with good winds into par 5s than a 55 that was played getting everything you could out of the round. 

Best of luck to all that advance, and it will take some luck as well.  

All valid points...

Here's my dime ..For ME at least it always comes down to one thing.. Putting!!..I consider myself a solid to maybe a very good player ..I managed a 54 in the qualifier and very honestly is came my 3rd attempt and the ONLY reason was I made almost every putt ..If I remember my round correctly I had 1 par and 1 eagle (so your right about the wind point) I must of had a good wind on the par 5 ... I can generally be 10 feet or less on approaches ...But in the Qualifier  it was as always (for me) about the putting the hole seemed to be the size of a manhole cover every time I putted.. Unfortunately  I have only played Torey those 3 times and maybe 1 more after for sh*ts and  giggles...So come the actual start of the Open I'll just be an "Also" played on the leaderboard..

The biggest difference between the Very Good player that can throw up that low low round from time to time and the Elite Guys is they make about every putt!! 

I will probably never get there because from day 1 I have been a "Feel" putter never once used a calculator or any putting formula I know how easy or hard to hit putts based on thousands of rounds played as far as the "Break" on putts More trial and error and memory of that particular hole...All that being said I found Torey to be an Easier putting course (For me at least) Hence I scored well.. Also of all the top "Dawgs" the only one I know of that is a feel putter is Birchi (I think) I remember him telling me he doesn't use set formulas or calculators, slide rules, compasses, protractors, calculus, geometry or even an ABACUS 😂 

As far as the "Unlimited" I agree I don't like it!! But in the case of VUSO It was needed  as Torey Pines was New and unavailable to play prior to the qualifier..

JD

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2021 11:20 AM

BPeterson8256:
    Multi round single play is by far my favorite, and gives the best "real feel" experience in my opinion

I don't disagree with this... but if this is the case and multi round in your favorite - why sit out the biggest  4 round monthly multi round event?  I can actually grasp why.

Maybe there can be valid reasons for doing so, just as there are valid reasons for not playing the VUSO - even life and a holiday weekend can get in the way.

If you want to keep comparing the game to real golf, the contradictions and differences build up quickly. It can actually become comical and eye opening.  I actually understand far more why even top players have left the game.  

I enjoyed the experience last year and am simply pleased to know my game has still progressed to be able to qualify another year on a new course.  

good luck to all those who play and don't have conflicts with the tournament schedule.  

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2021 4:35 PM

el3n1:

if this is the case and multi round in your favorite - why sit out the biggest  4 round monthly multi round event?  I can actually grasp why.

I doubt you can 😉

The tournament I think you're referring to actually has very low participation. I'm guessing that is for the same multiple reasons I don't play it. I don't like the pay out at all. It's basically a winner take all type play. Additionally, although I love that it's 4 rounds, I would love to see those rounds being 18 holes per round. I do play in the weekly multi round tournaments almost every week when I have time.  I really wish they would start some multi round RGs, but I doubt I'll ever see that day.

As for the rest of your comments (and mine). I didn't mean to offend you. I know players have many reasons for not playing in or for not finishing a tournament. My comments were merely stating the facts of how most WGT tournaments are designed in a way that gives little incentive to not quit. The monthly multi round you mentioned is a perfect example. I haven't looked at a leaderboard in months, but without looking I would guess 75-80% of players don't finish.

RSS