Wed, Jun 30 2021 4:35 PM (85 replies)
  • BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Sat, May 8 2021 7:52 AM

TopShelf2010:

BPeterson8256:
    54/55 is a fantastic score!

Indeed.

The reasoning behind my original claim of the elite players will destroy this course is this...

I play with the free Starter ball. And I was able to shoot a 60. That is why I thought those using much better balls would be able to shoot really low.

Don

That is good reasoning. 

When you look at extreme low scores though, you need to look at what is possible without adding in the "luck" factor. In any conditions, hitting all greens and all putts would be 54. If you have favorable winds on 6, 53 is the number. And if you have a tail wind on 18 along with the "favorable wind" on 6, then there is 52.

I have played quite a few times now, and I have only had one wind that would have allowed me to hit 18 (sadly I wasn't carrying my 250y 3w at the time). I have made 1 eagle on 18, but that came from holing out.

As for #6, I get the wind against me over half of the time and have no chance of reaching it. I would guess close to 60% of the time the winds have been against me on 6.

There have literally been thousands of attempts at this course. Hundreds of those attempts and possibly a thousand + have come from players capable of going real low. And when you look at the leaderboard and see all the names of great players that are not on it yet, I assure you it is not because most of them haven't tried yet. Out of all those thousands of rounds, only 3 players have broke 54. 

53/54 is destroying this course. Any number lower requires the combination of skill and luck.

At Erin Hills in the VUSO, only 15 players broke 54 and only 2 players broke 53. Not only that, but I remember at least one of the par 5s (#1) was playing from shorter tees. It was easier to reach then Torrey Pines #6 (and with it being #1, you could hit restart until you reached). I can't remember if any of the other 5s were within reach.

I think this VUSO will play similar to the way Erin Hills did, but with less scores under 54. There 56 made the cut, but not by much. There were 145 better scores.

#uselesstrivia&speculation

• JDGHOST
    6,748 Posts
    Sat, May 8 2021 8:17 AM

BPeterson8256:
    53/54 is destroying this course. Any number lower requires the combination of skill and luck.

I got NO "Destroyer" Award.... dam you WGT!!!    🤣😂😆

(Just a Lame blank square)

Diamond Torrey Pines Terminator

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Sat, May 8 2021 6:14 PM

BPeterson8256:

I know it is early, but (out of boredom today) thought it would be fun to start speculation on the cutline. We are just over 1 day into the tournament with almost 60 days left to qualify. 

As of now, it takes a 61 (-11) just to be on the first 5 pages of the leaderboard.

The cutline is at 59 (-13), but I think that is unlikely to hold for another 24 hours.

My initial thoughts after my first time playing it was that 56 would be good and possibly 57 might make it. Today as I look at the scores, I don't think 57 has much of a chance. I think 55 is solid in, and 56 is probable.

Anyone else have a guess?

Any other trivia you want to discuss about this course?

3rd hole, 194 yards with a 38ft drop. According to normal calculations the play-to distance should be 181 right? Wrong! After several tries, I settled on 171 as the actual distance. If anyone has any other insight it’d be great. 

• JDGHOST
    6,748 Posts
    Sat, May 8 2021 8:11 PM

fobby1980:
    3rd hole, 194 yards with a 38ft drop. According to normal calculations the play-to distance should be 181 right? Wrong! After several tries, I settled on 171 as the actual distance. If anyone has any other insight it’d be great. 

That hole is WAY off !!! I have the final "REAL" number even less than you lol

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2021 1:18 AM

JDGHOST:

fobby1980:

That hole is WAY off !!! I have the final "REAL" number even less than you lol

Never been one to use any calcs and I only played it twice (1 attempt was the day the game crashed mid round and 2nd was cause I needed a few practice holes), but seems like 180y power with full bs (L70 balls) is dead on in side wind. 

• sammey1
    679 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2021 12:27 PM

With no wind a 7 iron with about 25% back is sufficient.

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2021 2:33 PM

sammey1:

That answered nothing. What kind of irons and ball are you using?

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2021 4:43 PM

fobby1980:

sammey1:

That answered nothing. What kind of irons and ball are you using?

From what I see in his bag, his 7 iron is 165 and he plays with L48 TMs. The lower spin rating on that ball compared to distance means he should be correct. That shot should perform about the same as a full bs 180y with my L70 Titleist. 

• Dharla
    316 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2021 2:22 AM

BPeterson8256:

I know it is early, but (out of boredom today) thought it would be fun to start speculation on the cutline. We are just over 1 day into the tournament with almost 60 days left to qualify. 

As of now, it takes a 61 (-11) just to be on the first 5 pages of the leaderboard.

The cutline is at 59 (-13), but I think that is unlikely to hold for another 24 hours.

My initial thoughts after my first time playing it was that 56 would be good and possibly 57 might make it. Today as I look at the scores, I don't think 57 has much of a chance. I think 55 is solid in, and 56 is probable.

What does this mean?

"the top 156 scores (plus ties) from the qualifier will advance to the next round"

Right now the 57's start at 116th place and go to 193rd place. So if this tournament were over right now, would everyone who shot 57 qualify?

Thanks, Dharla

PS, Yah what is up with #3? It's not uncommon for me to overshoot the pin, but rarely do I sail past by 39 feet, lol.

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2021 8:04 AM

Dharla:

Right now the 57's start at 116th place and go to 193rd place. So if this tournament were over right now, would everyone who shot 57 qualify?

Thanks, Dharla

Yes. 

RSS