Help › Forums

Re: Taylor Made L47 or L48?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 26 2021 8:01 PM (5 replies)
  • YouLostToALoser
    190 Posts
    Thu, Apr 22 2021 2:08 AM

Howdie Folks of WGT

If you don’t want the context, then go to the bottom & just read the conclusion which is a question (Hint, it’s the ‘Subject’ of the thread).

For you Literal Legends, not just WGT ones, I decided, when I get to L97, thus have the Callaway Driver L96, Callaway 97 irons & hopefully, the Callaway, L94 54°, that I’ll have enough credits to get a good ball. I’ve been using the free ‘rock’ since reaching Legend at L89. Got 24 Callaway 33’s left, though...

I watched a guy on YouTube who was a L98 TL & has qualified for the Top 10 monthly Tour Final, with the usual suspects, (Young46, Fmagnets etc) a remarkable achievement.

Anyway, he had tried nearly every ball, his ball inventory was crazy, scrolling down, he must have had well over 20 différant balls, at the very least.

He said, first, use the Callaway 33, which was convenient for me. Then the Taylor Made L47.

I checked the stats and the same but L48 is better for me. More distance less spin. From the back tees, distance is important and the 48 has enough spin...that’s the conundrum though.

What is everyone else’s opinion or is there a better choice? Especially for 400cr, which both these balls are. I have a L96 driver, L99 3 wood, L97 irons, 1 L95 wedge & L98 putter to buy. 

I’m at L93, so a new outlay every Level from 95 to 99 inclusive. Doesn’t help buying nearly 2000cr worth of clothing aperel to satiate my ego ;).

I got 1 pack of the L48’s to try, is it worth getting a L47 to distinguish between them? Or wait Til the 101 Driver Then distance is relegated, with more spin being more advantageous.

Conclusion: Taylor Made L47 or L48 or other (and why on the other)?

• SamSpayed
    4,890 Posts
    Thu, Apr 22 2021 12:46 PM

YouLostToALoser:
    I got 1 pack of the L48’s to try, is it worth getting a L47 to distinguish between them?

Yes, it's worth it.  400cr for a sleeve of balls is nothing if you can afford 2000cr for apparel.

My suggestion is to compare the L33 Callaways (since you have 24 of them) and the L47 and L48 TMs and see which one you like the best.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Thu, Apr 22 2021 1:02 PM

YouLostToALoser:
    Conclusion: Taylor Made L47 or L48 or other (and why on the other)?

consider playing the rookie showdown and winning a few of the L47 TM balls for 10 credit entry fee... 

with the L85 irons, I would probably opt for the L47 TM ball, and with the L97 irons go with the L48 ball.  again could depend on the course and green speed. 

but you could also consider the L51 Volvik ball.  in an etour event Fmagnets played it especially on the shorter courses and proved it can be played very well with the L85 irons.  he may still have the event up on his profile page - it was on Oakmont.

• YouLostToALoser
    190 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2021 6:55 AM

I can only afford it due to my decision to play the free ball, everyday, and take the time to get my 150cr per day.

I’ve spent a total of $12.98 since I started on 5th October 2020 and am on day 204 as of today. 

I have calculated that I should reach L94 by May 12th, L95 by June 20th, L96 by July 31st and L97 by early September. 

With consequetive day bonuses and 150 cr per day, I should be back competitive in the WGT Tournaments by then but it’s been a long haul from when I reached L90 and started this strategy, and a long haul to come.

Therefore, spending about 1400cr on aperel so my avatar at least looks good and I can change aperel everyday, helps with motivation. I won’t be buying anymore until I reach at least L99, have the L95 56° wedge L96 Driver, L97 Irons, L98 Putter and the 3 wood at L99, and have plenty of credits left over to keep me in balls for a sustained period.

Then, and only then, will I get more fancy pants. I have all the ones I liked the most, just maybe the blue Loudmouth polo which will go with a lot of other apparel. But once I have them, I have them for as long as I have my account, unlike all the equipment I have now, except my L81 64° wedge which is the highest L 64° they have.

Having said that, my next purchases outlined above will be my last, except the Driver with the à Titleist at L101. However, balls are the biggest drain as they have a set number of shots, whereas the clubs and aperel last forever, or even if you upgrade, you get 1/4 of the cr back.

L94 to L99, I will have a new club to buy and enjoy using. But when I bought the aperel, I was at L91-92 and no equipment to look foreward to for a while, thus making a decision to buy them in the knowledge I will be buying them at some point, why not now. By the time I reach September, I will have an extra ~20,000cr off of ads on top of the +7500 I will have by the end of today. 

It’s all been accounted for in my calculations.

Is that a thorough enough explanation?

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Fri, Apr 30 2021 8:05 AM

With the high end gear I'd definitely go with L48 over L47. With the distance to spin ration of the L47s you'll find yourself short a lot of times and any missed ding or cross wind will have a bigger affect on the flight. I'd go with 4,5 distance and 3,5 spin every time. 

• YouLostToALoser
    190 Posts
    Sat, Jun 26 2021 8:01 PM

With the high end gear I'd definitely go with L48 over L47. With the distance to spin ration of the L47s you'll find yourself short a lot of times and any missed ding or cross wind will have a bigger affect on the flight. I'd go with 4,5 distance and 3,5 spin every time. 

[/quote]

Thanks, you’ve confirmed what I have committed to do, having bought 15 (5 packs for 2000 credits and used 4 already to try in club competitions, which took at least 18 holes to get used to, so basically a full ball per comp, plus losing a new one, I played 3 Tournements and won 2 and joint 2nd in the other, shooting 64 in normal Legend conditions except slower green (prefer 12 &13 as I’m practicing more on them as that’s what I’ll be playing on in future so 9 greens I found the breaks difficult to read, always missing high side, so 64 Ave wasn’t bad for missing so many putts.)

Also played Torres Pines for the first time with the Callaway, shot 67, then used the TM 48 and shot 65. Thé cut was 61 at the time, but 6 weeks left, thought I had a chance, but now it’s 57. With L96 Driver maybe, L97 Irons pretty good, with practice with all the equipment, very good chance.

Sorry for the rambling on, but exciting to know a top tier player has the same thinking as me gives me confidence in my abilities in strategy off the course, so I can focus more on the course knowing I’ve given myself just about the best opportunity to do so by having the correct equipment for a start...seen many players with bags that don’t make sense...

Most recent one I saw was 225yd 3 hybrid & 225yd 3 iron plus 120yd PW then 80yd SW and 70yd LW. Maybe the aperel will make it more understandable...all L1 so virtually 0 change in anything.

Actually playing golf I knew gave me an advantage, but not to the point of knowing which club combinations are the most effective, so any yardage is covered with the easiest shot, so full shots, over 90% as under that, they don’t go a distance that is consistent, examples,

1- 100 yd wedge, 100% 100yd, 90% 90yd, 80%, about 75-77yd. (I don’t really know as I have a 60° 80yd wedge which gives me a more accurate and understandable distance to percentage ratio.

2- To hit my 64° 60yd wedge 30yd, I have to hit it 60%, not 50.

Off I went again after apologising for rambling, but it’s good to write out my thoughts and why not here. If one person benefits, then It was worth it. If nobody does, no harm done as I’m not posting misinformation.[quote user="AnaNikolaj"]

RSS