Help › Forums

Re: A ton 'O' Questions :)

rated by 0 users
Sat, Apr 17 2021 8:54 AM (5 replies)
  • Cel7
    107 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2021 4:35 AM

HI All,  

I play the game, i enjoy it a lot and am satisfied with the level i am playing at in most games.  I have played for quite a few years and i was thinking this morning, there is still a ton i dont know...and if i dont know, maybe others dont either so putting it out here might help me and others.  Here they are in random order...

1)Club distances and balls - when i look at my driver i see 282 yrds.  What if i were to buy a ball rated for higher distance?  My recollection is that the distance reading does not change.  However, I am pretty sure the actual distance of how far the ball would go would change.  I am guessing the 282 is based on no wind, flat fairway, starter balls...etc....so the questions......the yardage that i see does not change according to ball.....correct?  And if so, I assume the actual yardage of an enhanced distance ball vs a starter ball would be different....is there a guideline of how much more distance to expect...not just on a driver but other clubs?

2)  At the start of a head to head round, I never know what the green speed is until i get to the first green and someone putts.  Is that the way it is?  Secondly, do the green conditions affect approach shots in....my guess is they do.  So therefore, on a flat green, if i was hitting say a 160 yd 7 iron into it and it was slow, do i expect that shot to go 155?  And if it was tournament would i expect it to go 165?

3) Record in head to head - the only way it seems i can see my record in head to head is to go to the "play with friends" section and it keeps a tab on my monthly win-loss record.  Is that it for recordkeeping here?  There is no alltime record stored anywhere?

4) % lies - ive never really paid much attention to whether or not i have a 60% lie or a 40% lie....should i?  And if so, how much of a difference is there?

Thanks for any help.....hope to see yas on the rooms. 

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2021 10:45 AM

I'll see if I can answer some of your questions.

Cel7:
    1)What if i were to buy a ball rated for higher distance?  ....is there a guideline of how much more distance to expect...not just on a driver but other clubs?

Generally speaking, you can add about 1% to your distance per 1 unit of ball Distance.  For example, if you have a ball that has a 5 Distance rating you can add about 5%.  HOWEVER, most balls that have extra distance also have extra Spin.  The spin you put on the ball will affect the distance it goes also.

Cel7:
    2)  At the start of a head to head round, I never know what the green speed is until i get to the first green and someone putts.  Is that the way it is?

If your opponent hits their approach first, and their ball lands on the green or fringe, you can quickly click the 3 dots at the top left of the screen twice.  That should show you the green speed.  If you hit your approach first, there is no way to tell.

Cel7:
    Secondly, do the green conditions affect approach shots in....my guess is they do.  So therefore, on a flat green, if i was hitting say a 160 yd 7 iron into it and it was slow, do i expect that shot to go 155?  And if it was tournament would i expect it to go 165?

The carry will be the same.  The roll will depend on the shape of the landing area, the green speed, the elevation change, and the spin you put on the ball.

Cel7:
    3) Record in head to head - the only way it seems i can see my record in head to head is to go to the "play with friends" section and it keeps a tab on my monthly win-loss record.  Is that it for recordkeeping here?  There is no alltime record stored anywhere?

That's correct.  No all-time record in H2H matches is kept.

Cel7:
    4) % lies - ive never really paid much attention to whether or not i have a 60% lie or a 40% lie....should i?  And if so, how much of a difference is there?

Yes, you should.  Big difference in lie % and what surface you're on (dirt, rough, hard sand, mulch, bunker, brush, etc.).  Too complicated to go into here.  Use the SEARCH box over there to the right to find out more.

Hope this helps.

• Cel7
    107 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2021 4:09 PM

I appreciate the information - thank you very much,  

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2021 4:32 PM

SamSpayed:

Cel7:
    2)  At the start of a head to head round, I never know what the green speed is until i get to the first green and someone putts.  Is that the way it is?

If your opponent hits their approach first, and their ball lands on the green or fringe, you can quickly click the 3 dots at the top left of the screen twice.  That should show you the green speed.  If you hit your approach first, there is no way to tell.

Small add-on..  If you hit the approach shot first, true you cannot tell the green speed before hitting your shot but you can still hit the top left of the screen (3 dot area) to see the green speed to start planning your next shot.  Very helpful when you're playing on various green speeds from round to round.

Can't begin to count how many times I played the first putt based on the green speed of the previous round lol.

• MojosMojo
    104 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2021 5:20 PM

“Can't begin to count how many times I played the first putt based on the green speed of the previous round lol.”

I just had a laugh. I can’t count either, but it is happens every single time I make a run on coin games.

• Cel7
    107 Posts
    Sat, Apr 17 2021 8:54 AM

Tks

RSS