Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putter range changes

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 11 2021 5:43 AM (8 replies)
  • WTR55
    25 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2021 8:16 AM

On Some Holes, your putter value range will change to a higher range, even when the distance is within the lower range. This often results in a LONG putt if not detected. WHY does this happen...

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2021 9:39 PM

Because people don't bother checking their putter scale... 

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2021 12:53 AM

WTR55:
    On Some Holes, your putter value range will change to a higher range, even when the distance is within the lower range. This often results in a LONG putt if not detected. WHY does this happen...
    I suppose that the ball did not end up on the green but on the fringe. Invariably, a long range will be chosen by the game.

The only remedy is to pay attention! As with any shots, I first look to the surface definition and then to the distance. "Fringe" triggers a mouse roll down, while "Green" causes a roll up - longer putting range means less power and less meter speed!

I also choose a flop from the fringe frequently.

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2021 6:29 AM

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2021 10:46 AM

WTR55:

WTR55, if you are on the fringe (not the green), the caddy will almost always give you either a 100 foot putting scale or a 50/60 foot scale.  

If you are on the green, the caddy will give you a scale based on the distance from your ball to the cup.  I believe (but am not 100% sure) that if your distance is within 1 foot of the end of a scale, it will move you up to the next scale.  I tested this today and when I had a 18.9 foot putt, the caddy gave me my 20 foot scale.  When I had a 19.3 foot putt, it gave me my 50 foot scale.

As others have said, make it part of your putt routine to always make sure you are on the scale you want.  The WGT caddy is far from perfect and it cannot read your mind.  It also does not take into consideration the elevation change or the green speed.

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2021 10:56 AM

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2021 11:45 AM

Robert1893:
    Actually, I've gotten the 20-foot scale while on the fringe.

Wow... never seen that.  But I believe you.  I've modified my post.

They're messing with you, man 😁

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2021 12:02 PM

• Rocky12101
    139 Posts
    Wed, Aug 11 2021 5:43 AM

A little late with this post ... but a slightly different problem.  I was on the fringe.  I wanted to play a flop or pitch.  But no matter how many times I tried, the game insisted on keeping the selection on the putter.  Eventually timed out twice of course.  Very irritating!  I have seen similar issue on the eTour.  But cannot recall how they rectified it.  Would appreciate if someone could explain how to get the club selection off the putter?

RSS