Forums

Help › Forums

Re: To Obscure or to Illustrate? Now, That's a Question!

Sun, Mar 28 2021 8:01 AM (5 replies)
  • DrCarlGL
    20 Posts
    Fri, Mar 26 2021 7:21 PM

It’s been a few months now with the new version.  Not much has changed, really.  We lost a few golf courses.  That was sad.  I await Torrey Pines with eager anticipation, but won’t hold my breath for other courses.  But we still have golf courses where pin placements rarely, if ever, change.  Another stable element of the game however, is that we still get at least three camera changes on every shot.  Camera changes that do more to obscure the shot, than to illustrate it.  As an example, picture this:  Oakmont Country Club.  Hole #4, a Par 5.  Second shot.  Gonna need all the 3-wood I can get.  I take the shot.  The ball soars toward the green.  The camera changes.  It’s a close-up of the flagstick.  The ball, still in flight.  Another camera change.  It’s a close-up of the ground where the ball lands.  Another camera change.  Next player.  The shot?  Lost.  Obscured by camera changes.  This is ubiquitous throughout the game, particularly on close-in shots, pitches, and chip shots.  The numerous camera views change so rapidly one is left confused and bewildered where their shot ended up, having to wait for the next player’s turn to locate their ball.  Even putts have multiple camera changes.  Why?  Other close-ups include looking directly into a bunker, looking up a slope at the sky, the inside of a bush, the avatar, among others.  But my favourite, the avatar’s thumb.  Looks like a skin condition. 

Setting up, and joining a Stroke Play game has become a test of patience, having taken upwards of 30-minutes just to establish a threesome.  Hundreds, if not at times, well over a thousand players available to play head-to-head competitions, but no one for Stroke Play?  At game end, the scorecard appears incomplete, and regularly provides the stats for the other guy, not me.  “Average distance to the Pin”, a statistic found under Approach stats, is shown in “Yards”.  An individual player’s statistics shows this in “Feet”.  Why the disparity?  And, why such small print?  Given that this hasn’t been remedied by now seems to clearly suggest that game improvements are of low priority.

We enjoy spectacular images of storied golf courses, where Legends have walked, obscured by, “WATCHING OPPONENT.”  This is new.  This is obnoxious.  And why am I still the only one who gets informed whenever I remove or replace the flagstick?  “FLAGSTICK REMOVED”!  “FLAGSTICK REPLACED”!  Do I not know that I just did this?  That kind of short-term memory loss would require long-term hospitalization.

These are my observations.  There are others.  Game improvements are overdue.  It’s my hope that changes will come.  But like I said earlier, I won’t hold my breath.  Have courage!  Be brave!  See you on the Links.

Dr. Carl G. L.

Boise, Idaho

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2021 1:27 PM

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2021 2:19 PM

TopShelf2010:
    What courses did we lose?

Cabo and Whistler.  Also Best of Putting.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2021 2:35 PM

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,497 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2021 3:37 PM

It would've been really great if Cabo del Sol and Whistler were transplanted in the new version.

• callaghan159
    6,220 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2021 8:01 AM

TopShelf2010:

SamSpayed:

TopShelf2010:
    What courses did we lose?

Cabo and Whistler.  Also Best of Putting.

ROTFLMAO.... of course. Totally forgot as I only played them on a few occasions many, MANY moons ago.

Thank you Sir

Don

yup....they were free to me because of my premier pass and rarely played them.

RSS