Forums

Help › Forums

Re: "JUST HAVE FUN" ya, right.

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 20 2021 7:23 AM (4 replies)
  • Slimjim001
    1,025 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2021 7:11 AM

Who hasn’t said or heard it said countless times “just play to have fun”.  I couldn’t agree more that fun must be the central goal of this game or what is the point of playing. So, why then have I so often found myself not having much fun? Here are what I consider three important things I have learned about this illusive thing called “having fun” and how to achieve it.

1.       Play your own game.

If you don’t like coin games or speed golf etc., don’t play them. “What’s good for the goose may not be good for the gander.”

2.       Be realistic about your skill level.

It is important to continually stive for improvement but if you are trying to compete too far beyond your skill level and expecting success, it ain’t gonna be much fun.

3.       Find “birds of a feather”.

a.       Find a country club of like-minded people. (easier said than done)

b.       Beware of joining games out in the WGT world at large. Many nasty people lurk out there who are happy to ruin your day.

• ichott
    56 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2021 7:23 AM

👌

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2021 7:40 AM

Slimjim001:

Who hasn’t said or heard it said countless times “just play to have fun”.  I couldn’t agree more that fun must be the central goal of this game or what is the point of playing. So, why then have I so often found myself not having much fun? Here are what I consider three important things I have learned about this illusive thing called “having fun” and how to achieve it.

1.       Play your own game.

If you don’t like coin games or speed golf etc., don’t play them. “What’s good for the goose may not be good for the gander.”

2.       Be realistic about your skill level.

It is important to continually stive for improvement but if you are trying to compete too far beyond your skill level and expecting success, it ain’t gonna be much fun.

3.       Find “birds of a feather”.

a.       Find a country club of like-minded people. (easier said than done)

b.       Beware of joining games out in the WGT world at large. Many nasty people lurk out there who are happy to ruin your day.

I couldn’t agree more ! Well said . The only thing I would add is that ,for me anyway , my needs from the game have changed , in that I once thought I would be really good , now I know I won’t, so my expectations have changed. I also know I prefer to play ranked rounds and clashes before coin room games , that is not to say I don’t play coin rooms , I do , but I know my limitations. 
     Older and wiser are words that come to mind !! 

• callaghan159
    6,222 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2021 7:44 AM

I play for fun and fun only.  What I laugh about is the apparel silliness and the inability to play alt shot.

• Slimjim001
    1,025 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2021 8:36 AM

I appreciate your candor about your expectations bossbird and I agree. Eventhough I have achieved the TC tier, I know I will never be able to compete with the "big boys" so I don't attempt to. As an example,  I simply do not have the smarts to refine my game the level of the people playing the Live Series. I like competitions and I like competing with players better than myself but I'm probably near the top of my game and I need to keep that in mind if I am to continue to have fun.

RSS