Mon, Mar 29 2021 5:57 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2021 10:12 AM

el3n1:

BPeterson8256:
    Sorry, but I 100% disagree with you.

Nothing wrong with that, we all choose to incorporate what works for us.  

BPeterson8256:
    I have never charted a club or a ball.

Your experience of playing over 7000 rounds has taught you the same thing someone might do by "officially charting" - if you had not learned how your clubs play with certain balls and you are blindly hacking and guessing then I am not sure you would shoot the scores you have... experience that teaches you how your clubs play over countless rounds without officially charting accomplishes the same thing as what someone who has charted or mapped their clubs.  Experience in that sense is the same as charting because you are not blindly guessing but relying on what you know works.

Ball mapping simply alters the learning curve for less experienced players potentially allowing for fewer ranked rounds to be played.

BPeterson8256:
    the times when a bad shot is not your own fault is miniscule compared to the times that it is.

I would say it might be about the same number of times an awful shot poorly executed ends up playing almost perfectly - yes, poorly executed shots that somehow play almost perfect - those happen too and I have never ignored those.  I will be one of the first to admit, I hit a bad shot that also turned out far better than it deserved.  It happens both ways sometimes.

Can't really correctly quote from my phone, but regarding charts, I'm in the same boat as BPeterson. Never used a chart, took a note (apart from mental ones, of course) and never used any wind or putting formulas. A strictly off ding putter to boot. I wouldn't really compare experience with charting though, cause no matter how good your charts are, you still need experience to know on which holes the charts are off and by how much. I guess that's why neither strictly feel nor strictly math players can ever become the top of the top, but only really close to it.

And I also am quite fond of instances, when my poorly executed shots (at least by my guesstimation) land within a tap-in range ;-) 

• Tepi62Ka
    321 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2021 10:57 AM

Jesus christ what an explonation you have...okey all is my own fault, that wgt think its nice change wind direction after you had hit the ball...lovely!

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2021 2:54 PM

Tepi62Ka:

Jesus christ what an explonation you have...okey all is my own fault, that wgt think its nice change wind direction after you had hit the ball...lovely!

The ball would've been long even in straight head wind. And yes, it was your fault ;-) Also, when 3 vastly more experienced (not to mention skilled) players tell you so, I'd listen. Or, you pout some more and blame the game... 

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2021 5:13 PM

Tepi62Ka:

I wasn't trying to be critical of you. I was trying to be helpful. I will try one more time with a true story. Learn from it or get mad that I told you... the choice is yours.

By far the worse player I have ever met in this game was someone I use to play some rounds with occasionally. I had really grown weary of his constant crying about WGT being unfair, and I still remember the very last round I played with him. I don't recall where it was, but I remember exactly what he said after rolling a putt 30 feet past the hole, "WTF?! WGT screwed me! I hit that 10 feet and it went 40!". 

Just how bad of a player was he? After over 8200 ranked rounds he was a legend that still struggled to ever break par, even with short tees and slow greens. His average when he quit playing was well over 65. He barely hit 80% of his fairways and less than 70% of his greens. Additionally almost 70% of his greens were 2 putts or more. All this after years of playing.

I didn't need to ever see him play or ever see any of his stats to know how bad he was. And it was also obvious he would never be any good. This was easy to know all from one sentence... "I hit that 10 feet and it went 40". Had he said "I hit that 40 feet when I was trying to hit it 10", I would have known there was hope for him.

Once you "think" it is not your fault, you are done learning. And you will never improve.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2021 10:48 PM

Tepi62Ka:

It may vary a bit in the split second of your swing, but more often, wind direction is different from your stance at the target point. This affects ball flight, and it shows in reverse view!

• Tepi62Ka
    321 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2021 5:57 AM

Okey Okey...you won...I will try my best and thinking this like positive point of view again...if I can :D 

• PAGES
RSS