Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Champ,Devs, Connection Issue, Possible Solution

Mon, Mar 15 2021 7:26 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • protonc
    643 Posts
    Sat, Feb 27 2021 10:24 AM

While playing a game (any type) over the last few weeks I've noticed that the game will sometimes sit there for 3 to 15 seconds (estimate).  It will either move on, or throw an error with Retry.  Typically I select Retry, it pops up again, I select Retry again. It then goes back to the game, and continue playing. It got me thinking, is this WGT or is it me?  As soon as I notice it sitting there, I recently started opening a browser and go to some site.  The site will not load for the same time as stated above 3 to 15 seconds.  I tried changing my wifi from one router to the other, same issue.  Tried changing 2.4 to 5 and 5 to 2.4 ghz, same issue.  Ruled out routers, channel, etc.  Wait, this is not WGT's fault? Oh man. Really?  Still thinking it's due to WGT.  The only time I have an issue is while playing WGT.  I can play Youtube, Youtube TV, browse the internet, listen to music, or etc. with no issues, no interruptions on my pc or any other devices.  I started looking around my network adapter settings.

Think I may have ran across a solution, wireless network adapter power management.  I'm guessing by default the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked.  I unchecked the box, and closed the windows.  I've only tested/played one ALT Shot game, but no disconnects/waiting/Retry.  I figured tonight I'll try again when I typically play.  Fingers crossed!  Side note, my windows power options is set to high for performance.  I've been playing the new version for a year, mainly issue free.

WGT, the older version use to send and receive data constantly on the flash version, does the new version do the same?  Trying to think why my network adapter would think I'm not watching, playing, or etc in a middle of a game that I need to turn off the power management option.  Also makes me wonder, does this also apply to searching for a game?  If the game isn't talking with my pc and the server, is it really searching for a game?  Just throwing stuff out there, who knows!

Windows 10: Go to Device Manager, Network adapters, select your wireless adapter, right click, properties, Power Management, uncheck.  Give it a try.

Image Link

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Sat, Feb 27 2021 4:06 PM

protonc:
    Windows 10: Go to Device Manager, Network adapters, select your wireless adapter, right click, properties, Power Management, uncheck.  Give it a try.

Thanks, protonc. I've done this also and I'll see how many disconnects/waiting/Retry incidents I get over the next couple days.  Like you, my Power Options are set to High Performance.

protonc:
    WGT, the older version use to send and receive data constantly on the flash version, does the new version do the same? 

Obviously, I'm not WGT, but I think the answer to this is Yes.  When you play a multiplayer game, you'll see your opponent's avatar move sometimes while they're selecting their shot, and you'll see them change clubs before they hit their shot.  That tells me they are sending data every few seconds to everyone in the game.

• protonc
    643 Posts
    Sat, Feb 27 2021 4:45 PM

Hope it works for anyone that has had the issue.  It's an easy test, so I figured I would post about it.

SamSpayed:

protonc:
    WGT, the older version use to send and receive data constantly on the flash version, does the new version do the same? 

Obviously, I'm not WGT, but I think the answer to this is Yes.  When you play a multiplayer game, you'll see your opponent's avatar move sometimes while they're selecting their shot, and you'll see them change clubs before they hit their shot.  That tells me they are sending data every few seconds to everyone in the game.

Yes, I agree, and understand what you are saying.  For the flash version I use to use the chrome dev tools (Ctrl Shft I) to stop a lot of the non-sense back and forth.  I was amazed at how often and how many times it was sending and receiving data that wasn't game related.  Think about it, we don't touch or interact with the game as much when it's not our shot.  We don't change the camera view or anything, we sit there and wait (WATCHING OPPONENT) lol!  

• protonc
    643 Posts
    Sat, Feb 27 2021 7:46 PM

3 Alt.Shot games and 1 stroke, without any issues.  May be on to something.

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2021 6:06 PM

I'm sorry to report that even changing that network adapter setting, I'm still getting occasional errors.  Here are 2 that I've received today.  

In addition, our game froze tonight when playing a 3-player stroke play.  The other 2 players said they could see me on the tee box with my timer running, but my screen showed the 1st player to tee off still on the tee.  

We were chatting on Discord the whole time, which means my internet and my wireless card were both working fine.

It was a good idea of something new to try, though.  

• protonc
    643 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2021 3:23 AM

Well that's not good.  Was really hoping it would help. 

It seems to help. I havent received any of the errors over the past two days.  I did play one 3 hole coin game where the other users time ran out and it just sat there. But he had hit already. We could chat, but the game was froze, had to back out.

• protonc
    643 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2021 3:15 AM

Recieved a retry error last night while playing Alt.Shot.  Oh well.

• protonc
    643 Posts
    Fri, Mar 12 2021 4:19 PM

Hey Sam....

I don't have many issues with the game, but I still get a error from time to time, so I keep searching. Trying to help WGT or the members.  Latest change was adjusting Roaming Aggressiveness also under the advance tab to the Lowest setting. Does it help, who knows, but I don't need my wifi roaming for the best channel anyway.

If I remember correctly, you're in the IT profession, do you by chance have a wifi program that reads active programs and you can adjust bandwidth etc.?  My wifi adapter is killer wireless, which has a Control Center to give priority, adjust bandwidth, and etc for different programs.  On it, it has an overview of active programs, while the game is running it is not in the active wifi programs.  See image below.  It will show up for a second, and go away.  It's more in the inactive apps, than the active.  Image also shows I have Chrome, Edge (I opened these just to view), etc open and as active, even though i'm not actively using it (searching, reading, viewing, only open). It still seems like WGT is missing something.  Thoughts?  Any program you can test too?

Full size

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Sat, Mar 13 2021 12:21 PM

protonc:
    Latest change was adjusting Roaming Aggressiveness also under the advance tab to the Lowest setting. Does it help, who knows, but I don't need my wifi roaming for the best channel anyway.

Roaming Aggressiveness has to do with connecting to different access points (APs), not wifi channels.  Most home users only have one access point (their router/gateway) so for them there's no roaming.  There's also no roaming if you have a hardwired Ethernet connection between your router and your PC.  So I don't think changing that setting will have any effect for most users.  

protonc:
    do you by chance have a wifi program that reads active programs and you can adjust bandwidth etc.?  My wifi adapter is killer wireless, which has a Control Center to give priority, adjust bandwidth, and etc for different programs

I don't have a program like that on my PC, but I don't think it would have much of an effect unless (a) you had WGT in your list of programs with a really low priority and a very restrictive bandwidth limit and (b) you had a bunch of other higher-priority stuff running that was actively using up most of your bandwidth.

protonc:
    It still seems like WGT is missing something.  Thoughts?  Any program you can test too?

I think what WGT is missing is not doing testing themselves using outside (not internal) connections and looking at their network connection logs to see what's going on when those connections fail.  Their attitude has always been that all the connection problems are on the client side and not their side.

I would certainly be willing to be a guinea-pig client and test with them... giving them my IP address and letting them trace and monitor the connection from their side, as well as sharing my own router logs so they could see what's going on from my side.  My router has a "syslog to remote host" option that would make that easy.  But there's really no reason why they couldn't do that themselves.

• PAGES
RSS