Re: Uneven showdown conditions

rated by 0 users
Wed, Feb 17 2021 11:29 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2021 1:45 PM

AnaNikolaj:
    it can go the other way as well. Imagine a good player getting a set on Wolfie with a couple of par 5s and a reachable par 4 and plays it in low wind and slow-ish greens and easier pins. And another less skilled player gets the same 3 holes, but with heavy head wind, faster greens and the more difficult pins. Could happen just as easy as your version. Doesn't really seem fair, right?

I did make reference to the fact (in brackets) that the better player could also get the better conditions.  lets be honest though, having random conditions is in the poorer players favour.  With similar conditions the better player will usually win, if random conditions favour the better player this becomes a bit more certain, but if the conditions you describe went in the poorer players favour it would get interesting. The more conditions vary the better chance the poorer player has.

If I played like Mags I wouldn't like this, but as it is I wouldn't mind seeing it in competitions I was in (I've not played in the showdown). Maybe not the VUSO etc though.

I'm not sure that random conditions wouldn't be fair, they'd just be random.  I can though imagine the conspiracy theories that would come out of them and it'd maybe be worth it  for that alone.

It would seem reasonable that you know the possible variations, between you and other players, before you play.  

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2021 2:57 PM

all of these topics or issues have been raised since the showdowns were first released and players started observing these kind of seeming disparities...

it was even pointed out that Veterans and Experts with maxed out apparel are playing off forward tee boxes - which actually nullifies some of the heavy wind situations that may create disparities.

for example I caught one highlight of player using a good ball with maxed out apparel on a par 5 hitting directly into a headwind which under normal circumstances makes that hole a 3 shot hole - but with a maxed out driver and 3wd on forward tees he still put the ball inside 5 feet for a tap in eagle... that simply is NOT possible from the back tees without sponsor apparel.  

as soon as more skilled flash players invest the time or money to max out their apparel... coin rooms or showdowns scoring will get even more competitive than it is already... especially off the forward tees.  -- when better players - max out apparel off forward tees, won't matter what the wind or pin locations are, scores are going to go lower -- if the bogey glitch has been rectified...

otherwise... you will see players continue to intentionally try to stall or sabotage games as has been observed trying to "steal a win" by someone that is NOT even playing in the showdown... 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2021 3:29 PM

I didn't even realise it was a duck man thing. There's probably a cape of conditions that  insures you get the better of them, for sale. :-(

Good to see you back in the forum Ed :-))

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2021 6:06 PM

DodgyPutter:
    Good to see you back in the forum Ed :-))

I am around, just think twice before posting and there are some things it just better not to engage in... 

This issue is challenging because there are various layers to it... OP has valid concerns but there are clearly obstacles to resolving them or just not high enough priority... WGT has addressed a number of issues suggested by flash converts, so we can only make choices based on what we have now.  

I chose to sit out showdowns for a year due to bogey glitch.  Have now played 3 with not experiencing it, but i see others have... maybe progress has been made there too.

Who knows... 

• Borat74
    2,789 Posts
    Wed, Feb 17 2021 11:29 AM

I have played the Showdowns for over 12 months now on mobile and PCEA and have often wondered if everyone gets dealt the same hand.

Well it seems apparently not,i have only ever played in the Veteran stage and have qualified in the Top 5 over 15 times(Qualifier/Elimination),but when it comes to the Final round i have never finished better than 12th?

Thanks for making me open my eyes folks,i had put it down to lower tier players hitting great scores who have played the game for a good while and play nothing but coin games,but i guess now its a mix of that,wind and tees.

• PAGES
RSS