Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Mizuno ST200 3wood L90+

Thu, Dec 23 2021 2:46 PM (36 replies)
  • SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2021 11:22 AM

SamSpayed:
    I'll be trying it during the next Free Rental weekend, too.  I'm interested to see how 5.5 Forgiveness plays, given that every 3W I've ever used played like it had zero forgiveness despite what its forgiveness rating said.

I tried it during the Free Rentals this past weekend and bought it.  So far, I love it.  It is the first 3W I've had that just feels comfortable.  And comfort gives you confidence.  You feel like if you miss the ding, it will be OK.

I'll give 2 examples:

1.  Congressional #6.  I had 250yds to the back pin, wind right-to-left 12-14mph.  Aimed my shot into the pond and hit about 4 lines late.  Ball held its line, landed on the green, and hit the flagstick for a near double-eagle.

2.  Merion #2 (multi-player game).  Two of us had the same distance to the hole, about 237 yds up 37 ft.  My opponent was using the L97 Callaway that goes 250 yds with med/high loft.  His shot landed just past the left bunker and rolled onto the green 21 yds past the pin.  My shot with the Mizuno landed on the fairway just short of the green and rolled onto the green 12 yds past the pin.  Both shots with full backspin.

My thought is:  For certain courses where you need more precision (eg. Wolf Creek and Olympic), the Mizuno is the better choice.  For other courses where you need more distance (eg. Chambers Bay or Erin Hills), the 250 yd Callaways are a better choice.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2021 12:36 PM

good feed back... forgot to consider testing it myself.  

will be curious whether all those who like it, will eventually after the rental honeymoon phase passes begin to experience the same wonky 3wd variance we are use to seeing at times. 

even the much bemoaned L99 Callaway has pulled off a number of great shots, that being said, if the Mizuno does play qualitatively better when it is played with boosted 3wd apparel distance, it could be a very competitive club in the bag. 

that being said, I have watched some experienced coin room players with maxed out 3wd apparel throw some darts with the Callaway 3wd from the tee and from the fairway.  

either way, it is an interesting option.

• NrEighteen
    956 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2021 1:22 PM

SamSpayed:

1.  Congressional #6.  I had 250yds to the back pin, wind right-to-left 12-14mph.  Aimed my shot into the pond and hit about 4 lines late.  Ball held it's line, landed on the green, and hit the flagstick for a near double-eagle.

After testing it this weekend that is my experience as well. Consistent and reliable, it actually hold the line which I can´t say about my current L86 Callaway. 

Definitely a club worth saving up for. 

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2021 2:35 PM

Two months ago I was pretty much experiencing the same results, but shortly thereafter things changed. With a FBS TItleist 87 ball and neutral wind from the fairway the club now produces a consistent yardage of only 221. Why the drop in yardage I have no idea. Even tried it again today to see if there was a difference. Erin Hills today, hole #1, second shot 251 to the center of the green with 10 - 12 mph tailwind, FBS, dinged shot, ball finished approximately 31 yds from the hole. For some reason, the club no longer performs as it used to. Tried a number of different approaches with variation in spin setting, but no improvement. 

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Apr 13 2021 6:44 AM

Cicero733:
    from the fairway the club now produces a consistent yardage of only 221.

equipping the level 48 Mizuno by accident? 

everything on the label is the same except the level.

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Tue, Apr 13 2021 6:59 AM

Wish that were the problem, but no, it’s the level 90. 

• saplayer
    9 Posts
    Thu, Dec 23 2021 2:46 PM

the same thing is happening with me as well, must be a WGT glitch or something, thinking of buying another club if it continues.

RSS