Forums

Help › Forums

Re: WGT Launcher Error Please Help

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jan 29 2021 8:55 PM (28 replies)
  • Eyeswideopen11
    108 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 7:25 AM

That is the site I used to download Steam from.  Like I said in my previous post I don't think it has anything to do with Steam app. I think this is linked directly to my WGT account.  The solution may be for me to give the credits back, but I am having a difficult time getting a response from anyone. The SmartApp came from one of the surveys I took to earn free credits.

Here is the transaction history from the survey.

Earn rewards and influence technology! Install Smart app on your device(s), keep it running in the background and earn up to 150$!

• BogeyOne
    1,961 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 8:19 AM

The problem clearly is the SmartApp. Uninstall both it and Steam. You will also need to go to your files and remove any that are related to steam. Then go to steampowered again and download steam again.

• Eyeswideopen11
    108 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 8:33 AM

Bogey I have uninstalled/installed the SmartApp and the WGT Launcher App and Steam app and the result is the same WGT Launcher will not run unless the SmartApp is running the background.  

• BogeyOne
    1,961 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 10:04 AM

Have you removed all traces of the SmartApp from your files? They can exist in several locations. As an aside, Steam does not utilize the WGT Launcher and if it is still in your system that could be causing problems. One of my country club members was having real problems getting steam to run WGT and he contacted the steam support. They quickly got him going. Contacting steam support is probably the best way to get things remedied.

• nolan60
    176 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 1:24 PM

Did you install the WGT app inside of steam and launch it from inside ... steam will also put a desktop icon for WGT on your desktop so you would have 2 icons WGT Golf and WGT Launcher ... the WGT Golf icon is for your steam account

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 1:36 PM

I am not familiar with Smart App, so I went poking around.  This is what I found on the smartapp dot io FAQs (won't post a link to it here):

Smart App encrypts data before sending the encrypted log files from the device via a secured internet connection to the Smart App server. The Smart App also uses a VPN to ensure that your data is transmitted safely and securely.

I wonder if the VPN that Smart App installed is still active on his machine, and that's why he's having issues.

• Eyeswideopen11
    108 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 6:00 PM

So finally after 4 days of asking for help/advice emailing anyone I could think of to give me some kind of answer the SmartApp saga has ended.  I erased my HD and and used Time Machine (it a Mac thing) and reinstalled everything from a saved backup dating back to Nov 2020.  It would have been nice if I had received some feedback from WGT Support and maybe I wouldn't have had to erase my HD, but it worked out in the end.  

I want to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions.  

What did I learn from this.  NO MORE SURVEYS!!!!!!

• BogeyOne
    1,961 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 8:07 PM

Wonderful to see a happy ending around here ☺️

• nolan60
    176 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 8:55 PM

Good to hear ... aren't computers a wonderful thing 

RSS