Help › Forums

Re: One & Done 2021 Week 4 - The Farmers

Tue, Feb 2 2021 11:10 AM (42 replies)
  • DirtyDuffer
    876 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2021 8:33 AM

BPeterson8256:

jacktrade51:

I accept/understand we have to go with the official results.  But Patrick Reed cheated.

His only excuse is he did ask spotter if she saw the ball bounce.  She said she did not.   But he or caddy did see it, I will bet.

Tom.

He didn't cheat. Everything he did was within the rules.

Rory did the exact same thing the same day, without consulting an official. The difference is that Rory did it in a way that did not look suspicious, and Rory has a great reputation.

Patrick did it in such an odd way that it drew suspicion, and his bad reputation with the rules made matters worse.

I am not sticking up for Reed. It definitely looked bad. I have my own opinion of what I think happened, but it is just that... my opinion. Bottom line is he did not cheat according to the rules.

Totally agree. Unfortunately his reputation is withstanding. Once there hard to gain public trust.

Onto the raucous Phoenix Open!

• JDGHOST
    6,770 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2021 10:25 AM

DirtyDuffer:

BPeterson8256:

jacktrade51:

I accept/understand we have to go with the official results.  But Patrick Reed cheated.

His only excuse is he did ask spotter if she saw the ball bounce.  She said she did not.   But he or caddy did see it, I will bet.

Tom.

He didn't cheat. Everything he did was within the rules.

Rory did the exact same thing the same day, without consulting an official. The difference is that Rory did it in a way that did not look suspicious, and Rory has a great reputation.

Patrick did it in such an odd way that it drew suspicion, and his bad reputation with the rules made matters worse.

I am not sticking up for Reed. It definitely looked bad. I have my own opinion of what I think happened, but it is just that... my opinion. Bottom line is he did not cheat according to the rules.

Totally agree. Unfortunately his reputation is withstanding. Once there hard to gain public trust.

Onto the raucous Phoenix Open!

If you watch the video closely I believe when he  putt his hands on the ball to "Check" to see if it was imbedded he was sure to put enough pressure on the ball to make sure is WAS indeed imbedded !! Hence the official was able to feel a "Lip" in the ground....

Anyone with a brain after seeing the video with that 'SOFT" bounce would agree there was no way the ball was imbedded on it's own merit...

Once a cheat always a cheat !! The procedure of how he handled the whole thing may have been within the rules ...But nobody bothered to mention the fact (or question at least) that he may have helped imbed the ball with his pudgy hand  !!

Reed's a bum ...period!!

At least that's my opinion..

And the spotter said "I didn't SEE it bounce" Would have been a little different if she stated "No it didn't bounce" like Reed incorrectly stated as was her quote...  In his  response in the follow up interviews...

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2021 11:10 AM

There's the rules of the game and the 'spirit' of the game. What Reed did may be within the rules but it was not in the spirit of fairness.

Still, he's the kind of guy who is out there to win trophies not popularity contests.

Personally I dislike that attitude and I hope the top ranks don't become too littered with "win at any cost" types, but each to their own.

RSS