Help › Forums

Re: screen resolution

Fri, Jan 29 2021 6:04 AM (55 replies)
  • garyk49
    2,311 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2021 4:51 PM

Yiannis1970:

2 questions:

If the scaling is set to preserve the aspect ratio, how it is possible on the description saying that it stretches if aspect ratio is not the same?

If the native resolution of the display is 1920 x 1080, why u set it up at 1600 x 900?

don't have a answer to question 1, I just typed what was there, like I said I have had no need to mess with any of it, do all are default setting.

I use 1600x900 for a couple of reasons,  I used to wear glasses, had cataract surgery a couple of years ago, both eyes.  I use the that resolution as 1920x1080 most thing are too small.  I have already bumped icon size up and at 110% zoom for reading text.  I would have to bump icon to large from medium and then they are actually take up too much screen space and probably have to bump text to 120 or 125.

My win10 gaming machine, because I am not on it as often, I have left all in 1920x1080 with medium icons and 110% zoom.

A good way to see what happens with resolution is just to look at your desktop.  Change nothing else but resolution and tell me how many icon you still have on your desktop if you change it to 800x600 or even something smaller then 1920x1080.  Forget all about the game window for the moment and just look at desktop

Unless it's something in my nvidia settings if I go down in resolution the farther I go the less icon will still be on my desktop, the resolution setting takes them off screen.

• ScottHope
    10,014 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 12:43 AM

Thanks for all the info Gary, but there is something odd about your set up. Making resolution changes should not remove icons from your screen, unless you have so many they hardly fit anyway. I don't know what is wrong, but I do feel that the things you describe shouldn't be happening, it sounds weird, but it's like your screen has enlarged and pushed stuff beyond the boundaries of your monitor. But if you are happy with the way most things work, then it's probably best to leave as is.

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 1:52 AM

garyk49:

A good way to see what happens with resolution is just to look at your desktop.  Change nothing else but resolution and tell me how many icon you still have on your desktop if you change it to 800x600 or even something smaller then 1920x1080.  Forget all about the game window for the moment and just look at desktop

Forget about the game and just look the icons...are the same.

• garyk49
    2,311 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 4:54 AM

You still had the game screen up when changing resolutions, even when I said to forget the game screen and just change desktop resolution only.  You make videos of what you are doing which is much appreciated as it allows us to see what you are talking about.

Something has changed and I don't know what, on my end.  I have changed my desktop to 1920x1080 and the game to the same with it in windowed mode, somehow my screen in now top to bottom fit and almost as wide as my monitor, it's clearer to me with the reading glasses and doable even without, got to get used to the new feel of that resolution, but it should come in time.

What I mean something somewhere has changed, maybe I have been wrong.  I have 37 icons on my desktop along both the left and right edges of my monitor.(I have since moved maybe 4 or 5 into a tools icon I have so now somewhat less then 37)  What I remember from before happening is as my screen got larger(moving down in resolution) it widened and moved icons beyond the left and right edges of my monitor, thus losing icons from the desktop.  I noticed when you were changing resolutions, the small window for the game was changing and your icons moved, but stayed on screen.  I then went and changed mine and they did not(unless I remembered wrong)move off screen but towards the middle of the screen, even down to 800x600, they were big but I still had 37 on screen.  The is one of the reasons I always hated going into safe mode, I think the standard resolution there is something like 600x400, very big.

So to end all of this I must have learned something or at least straightened out my remembering(which was wrong), but maybe if others where following this, they learned something also, as I did, and are having an easier time with the game.

One note if others are reading, if when you changed resolution or from full to windows, after saving selection, restart the app and the screen will be correct.  The taskbar will not be covering some of the bottom of the screen.

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 6:02 AM

Gary, i have the feeling that you don't read my posts...

I wrote about the video:

Forget about the game and just look the icons...are the same.

That means that i have changed a bunch of different resolutions and all my icons were there (bigger but there on the desktop).

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 6:04 AM

garyk49:

One note if others are reading, if when you changed resolution or from full to windows, after saving selection, restart the app and the screen will be correct.  The taskbar will not be covering some of the bottom of the screen.

Correct.

RSS