Forums

Help › Forums

Re: screen resolution

Fri, Jan 29 2021 6:04 AM (55 replies)
  • Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2021 4:22 PM

You are correct. When the cpu or gpu can't handle the data and processing you have a juddery meter. So you have to lower down the resolution to make your cpu/gpu ''breath'' a little bit in order to have a smoother meter. But, apart the cpu/gpu part, the main thing is the real resolution of the pics. The real resolution of the pics is quite low. So, when i change resolution of the game, i don't use new pics. I use the same low resolution images upscaled to 1080. The upscale technique can give the pseudo impression we receive a higher resolution images but it's only a so small improvement comparing to a real 1920 x 1080 pic.

I have explained all these things in a couple of videos on my youtube channel. 

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2021 4:27 PM

garyk49:

To me the entire screen is sharper.  And this is a cheap dual core older machine, but I do have a gtx1030 in it.  Even when I had the gtx570 in it, it was sharper.

If I do it on by win10 machine it is even sharper.  That is a I5-8400 running a gtx1060.

Settings screen yes, even the wording on game screen.  Actually it makes it even harder to read green speed and wind, any of the writing.

EXACTLY Gary!!! You nailed the correct word and technique they used on the NV. Sharpening!!! Sharpening is not a different resolution (more high resolution). It's a way to give a pseudo perception of a higher resolution. The resolution remains always the same of the original pics. Other techniques to ''shape up'' an image is the gamma correction, brightness and contrast, hue and saturation of the colors e.t.c. 

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2021 4:38 PM

garyk49:

Settings screen yes, even the wording on game screen.  Actually it makes it even harder to read green speed and wind, any of the writing.

I will try to explain the best way i can why this is happening. Ok...only the original pic has a certain native resolution. Everything else is extras, do not make part of the image. Balls, avatars, meters, wind indicators, line on grids, dots on greens. So, when you use a 1024 x 768 resolution and all these staff are going to be integrated into the pic, unfortunately they have to be downscaled to follow the resolution. On the other hand, when you set a 1080 resolution eventhough the pic is just sharpened, cropped and upscaled, everything else (avatars, balls, wind indicators, dots, lines) have a real 1080 resolution, cause they are not part of the image and they can do whatever they like with them.

I don't know if i was clear enough to explain to you how it works.

• ScottHope
    10,085 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 1:00 AM

garyk49:
    Scott I have not tried your script for changing screen size [...]  Did I do something wrong, or does Sham's not work???

I hope Yiannis' responses answer your questions Gary. ; )

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 4:26 AM

ScottHope:

garyk49:
    Scott I have not tried your script for changing screen size [...]  Did I do something wrong, or does Sham's not work???

I think it did sort of.  But I still go by what I see and feel.  At 1920x1080, to me the meter is too small and I can come nowhere close to the ding line.  The screen is too precise.  I go by what the screen looks like.  At 1024x768 everything is too big and blurry.   It alot like in the older days having to play an entire game in 800x600 for no lag.

My entire experience is not just the pic, it is what I see in the entire game window.

I guess I will just play in what seems to work for me and not worry about.  I guess it's sort of like what works for some people doesn't work for all people.

• ScottHope
    10,085 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 5:06 AM

Well, with Sham's contribution about firing the game up with the control key, plus the in-game resolutions we should have enough sizes to satisfy most people. And if you really want more you can adjust two values in the registry to get whatever size you want.

I've probably missed the point but that's all I've got.

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 5:35 AM

garyk49:

ScottHope:

garyk49:

I think it did sort of.  But I still go by what I see and feel.  At 1920x1080, to me the meter is too small and I can come nowhere close to the ding line.  The screen is too precise.  I go by what the screen looks like.  At 1024x768 everything is too big and blurry.   It alot like in the older days having to play an entire game in 800x600 for no lag.

My entire experience is not just the pic, it is what I see in the entire game window.

EDIT... Better explanation is not what but how I see the game window.  I think I understand that the resolution won't change the game pic, but what will change is all that has been added to the program.  Such as, meter,  green speed, wind, etc.  all that has been added onto the picture,  I guess it is sort of like some of the CS programs, where you create layers, that part changes.

I guess I will just play in what seems to work for me and not worry about.  I guess it's sort of like what works for some people doesn't work for all people.

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 5:57 AM

ScottHope:

Well, with Sham's contribution about firing the game up with the control key, plus the in-game resolutions we should have enough sizes to satisfy most people. 

I think the best explanation here is.  Sham's maybe does give you more resolutions to select from then the game gives you.  But within the game, it reports it wrong.(unless you have selected on of the game resolutions)(at that point what was the use of using Sham's additional selecting process)  Unless you remember what resolution you selected, you can't look to see if what you selected is actually running.

• ScottHope
    10,085 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 6:27 AM

You are right about the in-game resolutions list not changing if you use some other method to change the size of the game window.

You can check (and change) the actual size of the game window in the registry...

HKCU\SOFTWARE\WGT\Screenmanager Resolution Width_h182942802

HKCU\SOFTWARE\WGT\Screenmanager Resolution Height_h2627697771

...there are other similar key names nearby, check the names carefully.

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 6:49 AM

garyk49:

ScottHope:

Well, with Sham's contribution about firing the game up with the control key, plus the in-game resolutions we should have enough sizes to satisfy most people. 

I think the best explanation here is.  Sham's maybe does give you more resolutions to select from then the game gives you.  But within the game, it reports it wrong.(unless you have selected on of the game resolutions)(at that point what was the use of using Sham's additional selecting process)  Unless you remember what resolution you selected, you can't look to see if what you selected is actually running.

Actually is pretty easy to know what resolution you are running Gary. First off all, when you do this ''trick'' and pic let's say a 1600 x 900 when you close the game and reopen it, will open at the same resolution you picked 1600 x 900, no matter what the settings are saying.

Now...how can you remember which resolution you picked? It's easy...do a printscreen of your desktop, crop the image and it will tell you what resolution you are actually playing.

RSS