Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Bunker Shots Around The Green-Glitch

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jan 23 2021 10:04 AM (5 replies)
  • Eyeswideopen11
    108 Posts
    Fri, Jan 22 2021 7:38 AM

During Head to Head matches, I play the 9 hole stroke play in Beverly Hills, if you hit a shot and it lands in a green side bunker it takes at least 3 shots to get out. I have experienced this numerous times and it is not course specific.  First shot attempt using a full swing the ball barely gets up in the air and goes about a yard.  Second shot, same as the first.  On the third attempt now using a flop shot the ball will come out.  I know what you're thinking I should have used the flop on the first attempt, but it will produce the same result.  Initially I thought this was only happening on Par 3's, but today I landed in a green side bunker on a Par 4 and it was the same result.  During a match it has affected my shot as well as my opponent.

I have written down the course and the hole# when it occurs. This does not happen in regular stroke play matches, only head to head coin matches.

Any ideas?

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Fri, Jan 22 2021 1:11 PM

Any example of course and hole, plus bunker %% and club selected?

• Tabarnak777
    166 Posts
    Fri, Jan 22 2021 9:29 PM

Over 7 iron with 40-50% can cause these 1 yard shots. There is no ''TIger Woods'' shots in this game. You can't get out from a bunker so easily. Stick for 8I or below unless you hit 20-25%. Always put full back spin too.

• Eyeswideopen11
    108 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2021 7:01 AM

Sure.

1. Hole #17 Merion.  20-25% and 64* wedge.

2. Hole #6 Bethpage 20-25% and 64*

3. Hole #7 Congressional 30-40% and 64*

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2021 9:45 AM

Eyeswideopen11:
    if you hit a shot and it lands in a green side bunker it takes at least 3 shots to get out. I have experienced this numerous times and it is not course specific.

Sometimes it's because the ball is resting right up against the edge or side of the bunker.  Other times it's because you have a steep slope to clear (eg. 5 feet up or more).  I know that I've had difficulty getting out of some bunkers (not just greenside bunkers) because of where the ball was.  A couple good examples are the pot bunkers on St. Andrews and RSG and the deep bunker in front of the green on Congressional #4.

The only idea I can offer is to look at the position of your ball in the bunker before selecting your shot type and which wedge you use.  Sometimes you're just screwed, and the best shot is either backwards or straight sideways with your highest-lofted wedge (64° or 60°) just to get out.

• Eyeswideopen11
    108 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2021 10:04 AM

Thanks for your input.  I will be more aware in the future.  I just thought it was more than a coincidence that this type of thing happened multiple times on multiple courses.  To me it just doesn't seem like a random thing, but I could be wrong.  Thanks again.

RSS