Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Driver Upgrade Suggestions

Wed, Apr 20 2022 11:36 PM (9 replies)
  • Gogsy1979
    32 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2021 4:07 AM

Hi my first post.

i recently started playing WGT again after a long layoff.

been progressing steadily and now at L48 Tour Pro.

my first stint I was prob a bit daft wasting credits on clubs and keen not to repeat. I am however now starting to struggle on longer Par 4’s off the tee with my L8 TM M2 driver at 235 yards.

would like suggestions on when to press the button and upgrade the driver. I recently took advantage of the Titleist free rentals and the difference to my game was amazing.

im ok with my L10 M2 irons for the moment, a little struggle on elevated greens but I can still typically score provided i am far enough down off the tee. I’ll likely hold onto these for another 10 levels or so.

im happy with my wedges in the L39 TM Miller Grind and have there so can switch to suit whatever gapping will work on next set of irons.

I bought the L35 Spider X putter as it’s the one I use in real life and I’m happy with it.

So driver I’m looking for suggestions to get me through the next phase of the game, ideally I think something around 270 but might I want to wait a few levels or should I upgrade now?

also on 3 woods I have the L8 TM M2 at 215. Am I ok to wait until 3 woods hit 250 or will I need an interim at about 230 which is available now?

Club purchases in my first stint maybe weren’t sensible but keen to be a bit more frugal this time while not spoiling my enjoyment so appreciate some advice on next upgrades.

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2021 12:26 PM

Level 55 Taylormade driver would last you quite awhile

Level 51 Maverik 3W would also be a good choice if you don't want to wait for a 250y club

Neither are a matter of "need", but both will bring more enjoyment to the game.

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2021 12:33 PM

On another note... I see you are part of a "dead" country club. You are more than welcome to join us at Simpatico Springs. I will send you an invite. We don't have a lot going on, but our small group all play daily, and are willing to share good information in our forum to questions like the ones you asked here.

We also sponsor a year long Tour that is available to all of WGT, the Simpatico Springs WGT Tour. Most of the tournaments use the weekly 18-HOLE SINGLE PLAY tournament which I see you already play. You would be welcome to join the Tour whether you switch country clubs or not.

Cheers

Brett

• Gogsy1979
    32 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2021 1:12 PM

Thanks very much, looks like I might be worth holding on for a few levels yet but good advice, I’ll try and make do with free rentals to get me through until then.

Thanks also for the invite to your CC. When I restarted wasn’t really up to speed on them but having a CC with active players will be great, thank you.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2021 5:10 PM

looks like you found your way onto the mobile game and are using sponsor apparel... you could also ditch the top golf hat and use the SE Hat instead... unless you already paid for the appearance tab option and are just wearing the top golf visor for avatar preference ... I can't view your options on the PC while in the forum, so you could be already using the SE hat...

sponsor apparel is active in coin games, ranked rounds, practice rounds, clashes, and any games where it has not been disabled with a shirt icon and line through it - which you will tend to see on WGT tournaments and Ready Go's.

individuals setting up AS, match play like games tend to turn off apparel options so it technically should be disabled for those type of games as well.

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2021 5:49 PM

Gogsy1979:

Thanks also for the invite to your CC. When I restarted wasn’t really up to speed on them but having a CC with active players will be great, thank you.

I am glad you joined us. 

In case you didn't know, we have a club forum that works great for communication. If you are on your phone, you can get there by clicking on "COUNTRY CLUBS" at the bottom of your screen, then "CLUB FORUM" on the top right of the next screen. Also, if you click on your profile photo at the top of the page you just opened, you can find private messages there. You can also find those private messages at the top left of the forum post you are reading now.

Brett

• Gogsy1979
    32 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2021 11:05 PM

Thanks for the tip. My SE hat is still only at level 1 and gives no other bonus so don’t know if it’s worth sacrificing the L6 visor which helps my putting and coin earnings?

• Gogsy1979
    32 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2021 6:31 AM

Hit L51 today and L51 Maverick straight in the bag, hitting it further than driver so it’s now ditched until I upgrade and put my 3rd wedge in the bag which essentially replaces my PW with more spin control.

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Sun, Jan 24 2021 9:37 AM

Gogsy1979:

Hit L51 today and L51 Maverick straight in the bag, hitting it further than driver so it’s now ditched until I upgrade and put my 3rd wedge in the bag which essentially replaces my PW with more spin control.

Cool. I did the same thing starting out. I had an old Big Bertha 3w that was rated for 219Y, and it outdrove my driver. I used it for a long time.

One thing I noticed about your wedges. The one club that will improve scoring more than any other is a 64 degree wedge. They save many many strokes around the greens. You may want to look into getting one. Using a 64 for pitch, flop, chip, and punch opens up a lot of great shot options.

Cheers

• larson122
    4 Posts
    Wed, Apr 20 2022 11:36 PM

If you're still in the process of taking lessons and making changes, I'd hold off a bit longer. It's always a good idea to reevaluate your equipment (regardless of age) after making any big changes to your swing because how you load the shaft and impact dynamics could change depending on what you're working on. 

Under normal circumstances I'll probably go about two seasons before making a driver change, but it doesn't mean I always purchase the latest and greatest (rarely does that happen actually). Sometimes I simply want to try a club I hadn't before and will look for NOS or used on eBay. If I had a bigger wallet, I'd go do a fitting and get whatever current model is recommended - probably within the same timeframe. Here you can find some.

RSS