Help › Forums

Re: Wolf Creek hole 17

Sat, Oct 9 2021 9:33 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MojosMojo
    104 Posts
    Wed, Apr 21 2021 10:45 AM

Mythanatos:

It's ball and club related in regards to spin. 

It matters as to how much spin you normally use.

so pay just a little attention to someone else's yardage numbers on specific holes.

here is your tip tho:

Take notes. Just like in this case you came up short. it didn't make sense. 

Back pin plays long. The front pin plays long but not as much as the back pin.

as to specific numbers. dial it in.

Make a note to yourself or in game something like "back pin +5 if 145+ yards away +3 if less" Im not saying that[s the note. but do something like that.

there are multiple holes in the game that don't play as listed yardages.

CTTH's about 1/5 are off by enough to be worthy to make notes on. 

take notes.

Good stuff!

Having played so much, I have many “mental notes” that just pop up in my mind for each situation as I ponder the play. However, every now and then, it doesn’t pop into my head until the exact time I make contact with the ball. Then it all comes flooding back like a relived nightmare, as I am creating a new one simultaneously. Very frustrating! 

Bought the notebook that just came out on mobile a little while back and started note taking. The next thing I had to learn was to REFER to note book. That took some time, as well. Now I am starting to get the habit ingrained to just take a glance and it saves me at least a few times during a day I am playing a lot. 

Great advice you are giving, well done! 

• Tabarnak777
    168 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2021 4:22 PM

Tabarnak777:

True, this hole is kind of off range from normal state. Peable Beach hole #8 does the same, especially when you put lot of back spin with full or almost full power.

But it's not the case of all 190+ yards with some downhill shots. Some holes are unique, like these 2 holes.

Well i found that cams on some holes are off range. And this hole is one of them. If you want to figure the best view i suggest to get the putter view from the hole to get a better line up.

On some holes, cams are so terrible that they can change a real 5 o'clock wind into a fake 4 o'clock, for example. And it's a huge difference, especially in big winds.

That's why it seems always short. Cams tend to lie and tell you a weaker wind than it is  supposed to be.

Kiawa is the worse course about it. Fortunately his winds are naturally low.

• SeveFrost
    1,489 Posts
    Sun, Jun 6 2021 4:13 PM

like the 9th on Pebble Beach, the approach plays pretty much to the yardage

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Oct 5 2021 6:56 AM

I am not so sure as to "[C]ams tend to lie" but your shot (direction) will differ depending upon what camera angle your are on when you hit. Further, certain shots play truer depending on the camera you use (for example, on flops shots using reverse cam works best and remember to aim left of pin as flops fly left to right).

As for changes in wind direction, as in real world, winds can come from slightly different directions depending upon location and elevation. A certain 3 par on Wolf Creek always moves the ball severely to left no matter what wind is, because you are hitting down into a canyon green and this has an effect on the wind...it makes it "swirl" in a circular direction. Same on holes on Pebble that the greens are exposed to the ocean winds...all this effects flight as in real world.

What I suggest is, on approach shots, check the cam on the green and compare the wind direction from that on the tee, or you fairway lie, often times you will see that the wind over the green is different from where you are hitting from and then you can adjust accordingly.

I am no expert but the above seems to be what I have observed.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Oct 5 2021 9:50 AM

HamdenPro:
    and remember to aim left of pin as flops fly left to right).

you can fix that by using the first line to the left of the "ding" line as your new target. 

You'll need to add 2 more yards of power to the shot to get the same distance however.

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Oct 5 2021 5:11 PM

I totally appreciate the tip, I never thought of that... Notwithstanding, I am such a killer with the flop shot as it is, I would hate to risk losing perfection. The rest of game is crap, but dang if I can't flop!!

BTW, I did forget to mention, I add 2 yds to every flop.

• sammey1
    679 Posts
    Sat, Oct 9 2021 4:19 PM

BPeterson8256:

Mikestorm2:

I just watched jam others play that hole he said to ignore the evaluation on it 

Great tip!!! 😉😂🤣

BPeterson8256:

This hole tends to play long on the approach. If you ignore the downhill, it should come out about right. 

Thanks Mike :)

• sammey1
    679 Posts
    Sat, Oct 9 2021 4:20 PM

HamdenPro:

I totally appreciate the tip, I never thought of that... Notwithstanding, I am such a killer with the flop shot as it is, I would hate to risk losing perfection. The rest of game is crap, but dang if I can't flop!!

BTW, I did forget to mention, I add 2 yds to every flop.

That's a long flop shot.

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Oct 9 2021 9:33 PM

LOL, I wasn't saying using a flop from the tee on the 3 par...I was talking about using different cam angles and mentioned using the reverse on flop shots. Although, it would be a perfect set up for the flop but, for some reason, my woods and long irons don't let me play the flop!!!

• PAGES
RSS