Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Before We Get a New Course....WE NEED A DRIVING RANGE

Thu, May 13 2021 11:25 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Baaneral
    6 Posts
    Fri, Mar 26 2021 7:58 PM

If for no other reason, I'd like to have a driving range to warm up my timing on the mouse click. Log in, go to the range for a bit using practice balls to get used to the meter speed before you start playing the pros who come down to our newbie courses. I think it would be helpful, especially for newer players like me. And even pros in the real world take a bit of warm-up on the driving range before they hit the links. 

• garyk49
    2,311 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2021 12:17 PM

Baaneral:

If for no other reason, I'd like to have a driving range to warm up my timing on the mouse click. Log in, go to the range for a bit using practice balls to get used to the meter speed before you start playing the pros who come down to our newbie courses. I think it would be helpful, especially for newer players like me. And even pros in the real world take a bit of warm-up on the driving range before they hit the links. 

What you are asking is never going to happen.  This game has been around since 2008/2009 and that exact thing has been asked many times over.  Plus, it would do you no good to use practice balls, you should decide on 1 ball and play it only.  There are ways to use the course as your driving range, but it will cost you ball usage hits.

You relate to the pros using a driving range.  Correctly they use them, building muscle memory of a swing, it makes no difference what ball they are hitting.  Here it would, hitting the ding is based on meter speed and timing.  Yes you could use some other ball that has the same meter speed as your preferred ball.  But not just any ball, otherwise it will throw your timing off when using your preferred ball during game.

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2021 8:20 PM

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2021 5:03 PM

BigJem1103:

WGT

We desperately need a driving range.  Mapping balls is an ongoing issue and trying to do it on one of the courses is to say the least, a royal pain.  We really need a driving range.  No wind to deal with.  Choose our clubs and our balls and not worry about the area around us affecting our shots.

Please consider this.  It is way over due

The first hole at Kiawah is a great place to map your ball with all of your clubs from the tee (other than wedges). Go to practice mode with low wind and the fastest green your practice mode will allow. Start the practice session only when the wind is blowing at 45 or 15 minutes. You may have to keep restarting the round until the wind is right. 0-2 mph is ideal but is rare to find going in those directions. Once you have your tee shots mapped move on to fairway mapping. You can map 3i down to wedges from the fairway. Always map from fairway to green. Not fairway to fairway, otherwise you are defeating the purpose. You may have to restart the round at some point if you run out of shots. 

I map my 3i from around 220 yards out. When I’m finished with that club I pitch up to get in range with the next iron. And so on.  Once you are at the green you can start mapping your short game. Pitches, chips, flops, etc. This is where the green speed is important. Some map everything on 10.0 speed and then adjust accordingly in a game depending on what the green speed is.

Once you are confident all of your numbers are correct then move on to the Back 9 of Bethpage to map your 3w. Set the wind and green conditions the same. When you get to the 12th hole hopefully the wind is headed the way you want it. It seldom is so I adjust mentally on each shot. Drive to the far right of the fairway to give you plenty of room to the green. If you hit the rough just pitch out to the fairway. From here you want to map your 3w from fairway to fairway and then move up to map from fairway to tee.

This is a very limited reply on how to map clubs but the fundamentals are here. Take this and apply it to bunker and rough mapping from all lies.  Mulch, fescue, brush, hard sand, etc... There are no limitations except what time permits.

As you can see, there really is no need for a driving range because it wouldn’t serve the purpose you are looking for if you really want to improve your game.

Hope this helps.

~ Tony

Edit:  Basically you are ball mapping not club mapping unless you upgrade your clubs. So if you change to another ball you will need to remap. To do it right, expect to go through a couple sleeves of balls.

• Flatearth777
    267 Posts
    Tue, Apr 20 2021 6:15 PM

All i need ONE HOLE PRACTICE RANGE. So i choose course and hole. Just to test my range on starter ball and starter iron from 50% lies.

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Wed, Apr 21 2021 4:20 AM

pdb1:
      You belong to a Country Club . You can create any scenario with no wind in your own CC . On any course . That is how you map your clubs .

I just checked that out and you can't set a tourney with no wind,  The wind conditions can only be set to low. moderate, and heavy, It would be great if they did allow us to set a tourney with no wind but that option isn't there yet. 

• alguienpregunto
    95 Posts
    Thu, May 13 2021 11:25 AM

About new courses I only remember that the results of front9 and back9 of the challenges with awards are added the two results making one the lesser to win and the results are seen until the end of the back9 challenge - Driving range: a good part of asking something in WGT derives attention from others for the results of oneself generating great score

• PAGES
RSS