Forums

Help › Forums

Re: "Guest" category

Sun, Jan 3 2021 5:05 PM (9 replies)
  • BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2021 7:21 AM

Some may have noticed that I have started a club with an "open door" policy. We welcome anyone to come play even if they never intend to stay. This idea is not going over well for a couple reasons.

1) Players would need to leave their current club temporarily to do this. 

2) Most are stuck in the current paradigm of the "way it works".

3) There are "controlling" club owners who fear losing players.

And I am sure there are more reasons. ...many.

What WGT needs is a GUEST category added to the existing categories of recruit, member, and veteran. They could make this function optional for club owners to use. If club owners use it, players would be allowed to instantly upon clicking "join as Guest" to enter the country club, have access to the forums, play in tournaments, and whatever other permissions were granted to this category without leaving their own club. 

This would create a much more interactive environment for clubs wanting to use this feature. Having created the Simpatico Springs WGT Tour for all WGT members, I can't even imagine how much easier it would be with this "Guest" feature. I could write a book about all the useful and creative things you could do with this feature. I wouldn't care if any playing they do gives credit to their home club. I just want to create some fun for the entire WGT community. I didn't create the Tour to gain members, or out of some altruistic sense of purpose. I did it because this is my vision of what I want from WGT. This Guest feature would give so much flexibility in helping to expand WGT.

Brett

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2021 7:51 AM

I like this idea ! I am owner of a very small club , opened just to be able to play in clashes without having to join a large club , as I don’t want to be in a large club again. Having built it up , I am loathe to close it down , but would welcome playing and learning more from others , but not possible as an owner. A bit of flexibility would be great , as long as it wasn t abused , and I suspect that could be the problem. Maybe there will be a way. 

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2021 8:19 AM

I also think it's a great idea. I hope it gets some traction with WGT. 

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2021 9:52 AM

I like this idea too.  

It would make multi-club tournaments easy to build and organize ("join this club as a guest and play the single-play Tour Event tournament").  Tournaments in the host club could be either be available to everyone (members + guests) or restricted to members only.  The multi-club tournaments could even be on custom courses.

CC Forum topics in the host club could also be available to everyone (members + guests) or restricted to members only.  That way if a club had some super-secret forum thread for Clash strategy or a proprietary handicap system that they didn't want to share with others, they could do that.

Great idea, Brett.

• reggie7900
    911 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2021 10:38 AM

+1 I think its a great idea too it can be so much more interesting with different options on the agenda hope wgt takes notice Brett. 

Kevin. 

• jacktrade51
    10,835 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2021 10:13 PM

BPeterson8256:
    What WGT needs is a GUEST category added to the existing categories of recruit, member, and veteran. They could make this function optional for club owners to use. If club owners use it, players would be allowed to instantly upon clicking "join as Guest" to enter the country club, have access to the forums, play in tournaments, and whatever other permissions were granted to this category without leaving their own club. 

As a club owner, I will reply.  

I have had members leave, try another club and return.  I have never denied re-admittance because I don't take offense at members checking out what they thought might be greener pastures.

But what you are suggesting is impractical.  Too complicated to implement.

Tom.

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2021 9:46 AM

jacktrade51:

But what you are suggesting is impractical.  Too complicated to implement.

Tom.

Not the slightest bit complicated or impractical. If you don't understand it or don't want to use it, then you would simply not enable it. 

I appreciate your feedback though.

Brett

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2021 10:27 AM

I agree. I don't see anything complicated or impractical. To me, it seems fairly straightforward.

• DufferJohn7
    3,561 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2021 4:43 PM

This is a great idea.  I just signed up for the SS WGT Tour but reluctant to switch clubs for the special tournaments.  I know it's dumb but I'm one of the founders of my club and like seeing my join date on the day the club started. 

Perhaps an alternative is allowing the use of setting up invitational tournaments using the entry code on the My Tournaments page.  I played in the prototype Champion set up and it worked fine. 

BTW Champion,  what happened to the very much improved leader board you used? 

Have fun,  hit em straight and continue exploring our new game, 

John 

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2021 5:05 PM

DufferJohn7:

Perhaps an alternative is allowing the use of setting up invitational tournaments using the entry code on the My Tournaments page.  I played in the prototype Champion set up and it worked fine. 

John 

I am actually working on this and possibly another solution. I haven't said anything about it because I feel it is a rather big request on my part and I have not heard back yet. I will try to have a solution by the 17th, but it remains as stated for now.

Fingers crossed

Brett

RSS