Forums

Help › Forums

Re: cost

Sun, Jan 3 2021 1:46 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2020 10:57 AM
    Some very good points already made... so when I have written on some of these topics I have tried to distinguish between a few things.
    - earning credits from 2 credit videos can fall into different categories.
    I use the following to distinguish between them...
    Gardening or Flower box  - a green thumb maybe -  earns 150 credits a day.
    The small farmer no fancy machines may earn 300 - 500 a day.
    The Corporate or Family farmer - employs multiple devices or family members and would earn over 1000 maybe 1500 credits in a day before limits were set.
    Then there was the Strip Miners - who used automated bot like programs to extract 10 of thousands and even hundreds of thousands of 2 credit videos.  It was this group that was primarily responsible for restricting 2 credit videos.
    ----------
    Now the only thing I would add regarding spending money or winning credits. 
    Equipment alone will not buy you a better game - it helps but it won't automatically lead to winning credits  -- you can actually lose credits while "earning" credits when you start playing RG's -  so it is harder than people think.
    You also have to INVEST a lot of TIME learning, studying, and practicing the game... unless someone helps speed up that learning curve by giving you ball mapping, calculations, tips and various shots that may be helpful in different winds conditions in order to compete and win against players that have already been around for awhile.  That takes time.  Even then, variance exist and you have to learn how to manage a round and avoid mistakes that can unravel a good round.
    The forums are an absolute wealth of information and you can also learn things by watching better players on youtube or Twitch where it saves you ball hits and you can pick up how to execute different approach shots you may not have considered before.  Even top players will approach shots differently at times so there is more than one way to play the game and post great scores.
    Even then, you can still get nervous over a big shot with a wind blowing into a water hole and a fraction early or late and that ball is gone as well as your chances of keeping the round together.  The more you play the less anxious you get but even then, we have observed in LIVE events - even the best players in the game are still susceptible to nerves or small mistakes they would not normally make.  
    Enjoy the journey, you meet some great people along the way!
  • SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2020 7:49 PM

Robbob1970:

Judging by the equipment in your bag, you've had a generous donor then or was one of the muppets that strip mined back in the day. 

So I stand by my original comment. You want to play and excel in this game you need deep pockets or good friends with deep pockets.

Nope.  Everything in my bag I've purchased myself using credits I've received watching videos (@150 cr / day - no strip mining), surveys, and the occasional offer or tournament win.

150 credits a day = 1050 credits a week.  If you knew how to do math, you'd see that it really doesn't take that long to save up for equipment - even the most expensive equipment.

• YankeeDPB
    14 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2020 8:47 PM

Sorry, have to completely disagree with you.

I've been playing WGT for almost 3 years and have reached a similar level to you with a similar bag of clubs.   At no time have I spent a single real $ on the game, nor have I "strip mined" as you suggest or had a generous donor.   Just collected every credit available via video ads as well as occasional tournament placings.

I was however very judicious in choosing clubs to upgrade, knowing well in advance what club I wanted and how much it would cost.   At the lower levels, I also took advantage of the flash sales to reduce the purchase price, which means I didn't rush out and buy the club as soon as it was available.   Including the current set, I have only purchased 21 clubs over the years, along with 80 sleeves of balls to be able to play every day, and I still have plenty of credits in the bank for future use.   

At 1050 available credits per week you can accrue 54600 per year, more than enough to upgrade when needed and keep a steady supply of good (but not super expensive) golf balls.   It does require patience & diligence; however for those who are neither patient nor diligent, then go right ahead and spend hard earned real $ on make believe golf equipment!!

• EricW55
    36 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2020 10:37 PM

Seeing I posted "emphatic no" to the OP's question I'd like to respond to some later commenters.

The OP's nationality is US, so the advice given about "free credits" is likely sound.  I wouldn't know, never had a "free credit" and none are possible for me.  Try to imagine what that costs.

el's comments are also very good regarding my experience.  Equipment won't win credits.  However, equipment makes it possible to score lower.  Equipment attributes are required to attempt precise shots into diabolical pins.  Practice provides the understanding of how to use those attributes.  Lack one, or the other, and your hitting and hoping.

Having said the above, as much as I covert equipment I am yet to unlock I do gain a certain satisfaction on those occasions where I manage to outscore an opponent with far superior equipment.  :)

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2021 8:44 AM

EricW55:

Seeing I posted "emphatic no" to the OP's question I'd like to respond to some later commenters.

The OP's nationality is US, so the advice given about "free credits" is likely sound.  I wouldn't know, never had a "free credit" and none are possible for me.  Try to imagine what that costs.

As one of the commenters, I want to re-emphasize important qualifiers I included with my comments. The qualifiers may have been easily overlooked.

As I wrote:

"To be fair, however, the ability to earn free credits is not equal for everyone. Those who live in the U.S. are at a significant advantage. So, that's a big caveat and needs to be acknowledged." 

And

"Again, this may not apply to those who live outside the U.S."

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2021 11:05 AM

EricW55:

Excellent point.  For those who do not have free credit avenues available to them, it would be difficult to earn enough through winnings to purchase decent clubs and balls.

EricW55:
    I do gain a certain satisfaction on those occasions where I manage to outscore an opponent with far superior equipment.  :)

And especially so when the player you beat is a higher tier 😁

• Gepetto1958
    4,204 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2021 1:46 PM

SamSpayed:

Robbob1970:
    The answer is no. Simple as that. If you want to compete and excel in this game you will need to spend lots of real $.

Hmm, strange.  I've made it to Tour Legend and have never spent a single real $ on this game.

Spending real $ is certainly an option, but it's not necessary.  

+1, same here

• PAGES
RSS